SuperFi Pros/E4cs too much for a stock iPod?
Jun 4, 2007 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RCM

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting the SO a 5G iPod for her b'day, and am in the process of shopping IEMs.

I'm looking toward SuperFi Pro's or Shure E4c's, both ~$175 shipped, or maybe a bit less if I get them used off the marketplace.

Then I started to wonder: am I overkilling the capacity of the iPod to deliver a signal that can be used by these (sorta) high end IEMs, or would I get the same sound from cheaper IEMs given the relatively low SQ of the source?

If so, what IEMs?

Thanks…RC

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 9
No, not at all. I used the E4C with my stock iAudio X5 for the longest time and it was great. The earphones you mentioned are easily driven and will still sound better than the stock buds (and even entry level IEM's), so don't hesitate to pick up a pair at all.

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 9
I agree with Mrvile. My iPod drives the SF5's just fine from the headphone jack. The sound quality is better with an amp, but you definitely don't need one to get good quality sound. It obviously won't sound like the rig in your sig, but I think you know that already.

I would worry more about whether she likes the feel and comfort of IEM's. Some people don't like putting them in or can't wear them. She might prefer clip-ons like the KSC75, so pick up a pair of those also (only $20).

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 9
just jumpin' in . . . .

mrvile and orcin are correct -- both will sound just fine out of the ipod.

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 9
From a fit/comfort point of view, if you're chosing between those two, I would guess the Shures are more likely to suit a person than the SuperFi's. I've read raves about the SuperFi's sound with iPods, but they stick out and are probably larger than the Shures (can anyone confirm?).

Is this gift a surprise? For something as personal as IEMs, maybe you can give her the iPod and then "shop together" (using Head-Fi, of course!) for IEMs that would meet her preferences.

Jun 4, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From a fit/comfort point of view, if you're chosing between those two, I would guess the Shures are more likely to suit a person than the SuperFi's. I've read raves about the SuperFi's sound with iPods, but they stick out and are probably larger than the Shures (can anyone confirm?).

Tough call. Super Fis are a tad larger and personally I think the E4 is an easier and better fit but some people feel violated by the deep insertion of IEM's. Super Fi's don't violate you as much.
blink.gif
They just kind of rest in the ear. They may actually be a little quicker to get in and out.

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #9 of 9
does anyone know of a better quality portable source than an ipod playing WAV files?

just while im at it may i ask what are the smoothest iems around?

ive been wondering those questions in my time away from headfi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back