Superfi.Pro = flimsy cord?
Jun 23, 2005 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
Anybody worried about what seems like a flimsy/delicate cord on their Superfi Pros? I love the sound of these things, but I wonder how they will hold up to frequent wear?

Jun 23, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 8
One of the things I really like about the Super.fi's is the replaceable cord. There's always this balance with IEM's between making a cord strong and durable while also keeping it light. I like that Ultimate Ears went for making this cord lighter and rubber coated. It seems like it'll be much better in the long run for wearing to the gym or doing some other sweaty activity. If the cord does wear out or break, $20 is a lot cheaper than trying to get another company's cable replaced.

Jun 23, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 8
That's great. I didn't know that they had a $20 cord replacement policy.

By the way, I can't seem to fit mine into the cool metal case because of the way the semi-rigid part of the cord sticks up from the earpiece ... it's like it sticks up too far (in order to accomodate going over your ear) to fit into the metal case without bending it. Does this make any sense?

Jun 23, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 8
I've read a couple of reviews where people said how cool the case was. Personally I don't like the case. Just like with the Shure case, I hate having to wrap my cable around a spool everytime. I took the spool out of a Shure case and just wrap the crod around my fingers and put it in the case. This works SOOO much better.

I also prefer the zippered case over the one from UE. Last night for instance I was trying to put my Super.fi's in the case while riding in a car. I took the top off and put it on my lap as I was trying to wrap the cable around the spool. Twice the lid slid off my lap and under the seat. I'll probably end up getting another Shure case or one of those Oakley Soft Vault watch lockers.

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 8
I think UE intended the metal case to be more of a long-term storage solution, with the leather pouch for daily use. To wrap mine up, I first hook the rigid cable loops over my index finger, with the earpieces sort of overlapping each other, then wrap the cable around three fingers. Haven't had a problem with fitting them into the leather case at all.

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 8
I have a question to ask. are the cords detachable from the phone body and interchangeable for R and L pieces? some people said if they reverse R-L, the phones would sit in their ears comfortably. so, Im wondering if you can switch the cords for this.

Jun 23, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankcent
I have a question to ask. are the cords detachable from the phone body and interchangeable for R and L pieces? some people said if they reverse R-L, the phones would sit in their ears comfortably. so, Im wondering if you can switch the cords for this.

I recently had to replace my cord (bad solder joint) and UE overnighted me a brand new pair (no cost). This company rocks...along with the replacement cord, they sent me a letter of apology for the inconvenience the defective cord caused and sent me a tshirt! NICE tshirt
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally like the metal case and I use it everyday.

With regards to interchangability of the cable ends, you should be able to change it without issue...but, what is the point of that? There is no "special" molding of the left or right cables. Just "bend" the cable to suit your needs/comfort.

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsrenduro
I've read a couple of reviews where people said how cool the case was. Personally I don't like the case. Just like with the Shure case, I hate having to wrap my cable around a spool everytime. I took the spool out of a Shure case and just wrap the crod around my fingers and put it in the case. This works SOOO much better.

I also prefer the zippered case over the one from UE. Last night for instance I was trying to put my Super.fi's in the case while riding in a car. I took the top off and put it on my lap as I was trying to wrap the cable around the spool. Twice the lid slid off my lap and under the seat. I'll probably end up getting another Shure case or one of those Oakley Soft Vault watch lockers.

You can remove the spool in the UE case as well. Just remove both metal sides and flex the rubber while prying lightly on the spool. It should pop right out. Everything still fits together nicely and it's a lot easier to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back