Superfi.5 Pro & Senn HD25-1 = 2007 Head-Fi Meet OntheFlyReview Winners (under $200)
Apr 24, 2007 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

electro house

New Head-Fier
I spent approximately 6 hours listening to a lot of IEMs and a few headphones at the Headfi meet (SF Bay Area April 2007), and thought I'd share this - this may be helpful for anyone in a similar situation as me. My goal was to find the best sounding IEMs and closed-ear portable headphones at the meet (to my ears, of course).

Criteria: Under $200. SQ. Strong build. Dependable. SQX2. Model has to be present at meet to win.
Sound Source: Cowon D2. Mostly flat EQ, but did test how IEMs responded to EQ changes.
Genre prefs: Electro House (hello), rock of various varieties (skilled musicians a criteria there), trance, techno, classical, R&B/Soul, then sometimes I need important chill time and mix in slower songs with female vocalists that have particularly beautiful soulful (imho) voices.

IEM Competition listened to:
Shure: Almost the entire line of Shure under $450: e2c, e3c, e4c, the newer se210, 310.
Westone: um1, um2, Westone 3.
Ultimate Ear: EB, Superfi.5, Triple.fi
V-Moda: Vibes
JBL: 220

I was shocked that Superfi.5's sounded clearly "better" to my ears than all of the above, even the more expensive models listed (To prove I'm not Superfi rep or something, I thought the 5's actually sounded better than Superfi's very own new model, the ~$400+ Triplefi's.)

The totality of factors made the Superfi.5's the clear winner to my ears: the clarity, separation, soundstage, and great SQ from lows, to mids, to highs. The Superfi's were consistently picking up artifacts in my recordings that the others missed (these recordings were recorded for the most part at good quality levels). The 5's also responded well to EQ adjustments. I could change the settings and the 5's would begin to take on the characteristics of other models of headphones. Heh, it is like having more than one model IEM, when you get tired of this sound, alter the settings and its like having a new, different IEM. I was shocked at the range of adaptability in this model. Yes I know this isn't an audiophile factor -- but just noting that the 5's responded very well to adjustments. Some of the other IEMs seemed to be oblivious - they didn't respond nearly as much to such changes.

The reason my tests took so long is that I listened to each of the IEMs an average of 15 minutes or so. I wanted to hear them all: same day, same source, same genre and quality of recordings. This proved to be a very productive method for me, personally. Yes, it took all day, but I walked away with something I really love. This would have taken weeks to do via ordering them online or going to various stores (which really isn't doable).

I was also surprised I could come away with a clear winner. Almost always in such comparisons, I'll come to the conclusion "Well the Shure does this better, but UM does this better, then Superfi does this better. But not today. I found a clear winner to my ears.

Headphones:
Criteria: SQ. Under $200. Portable. Strong Build. Closed ear. SQ. When you pump up the volume, how well does the headphone respond? Does it unravel, or say oh yeah, give me more? Model has to be present at meet to win.

Competition listened to:
AKG K81DJ. (And a bunch of $600+ headphones, but they are huge - not portable and over the price limit so can't put them in here). Winner: Sennheiser HD25-1. This wasn't even a fair comparison in so many respects (81's = $70, while HD25's = $200). Oh well. HD25-1's were the winner; they were the best model I was able to find present at the meet-- wish I was able to listen to more.

Bottom Line: Superfi.5 Pro impressed on so many levels, and I purchased a set - the reps gave me an awesome deal and threw in a lot of freebies. I have the HD25-1's on order. Yep, this all terribly subjective and and unscientific. I'm just sayin' if you are trying to put together a short list of IEMs and closed-can headphones and your funky criteria is close to mine above - put these 2 models on your short list of models you need to listen to prior to pulling the trigger.

That money I spent on the Superfi's is one of my most enjoyable purchases in a long time. As I type this - these Superfi's are giving me goosebumps. I haven't had those goosebumps in a long time, never on this level with IEMs. Heh, perhaps thats the best statement I can make to sum it up: You want to feel goosebumps and your hair standing on end a little when you listen to your favorite music? Give the Superfi.5's a try.

Side note: If your budget is more like $120, do try the Superfi EB -- well if you like tons of bass. But they ain't bad for that price, even if you are not a bass head (which I'm not...I just like that feeling good SQ can give you.)

Okay, flame away.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 16
What didn't you like about the Westone offerings? (especially the UM2 and 3)

It's still in my radar because of its high ratings in the cable (low microphonics, durable, light, doesn't tangle easily), the comfort (can "disappear"), and it just being generally more bass-heavy and warm than other IEMs. Plenty of people seem to really dig the super.fi 5 Pro sound, however.

Your input got me thinking about the super.fi 5 Pro again, but only because I found out that you can replace the cable with the Westone cable. Not sure if it'd improve the comfort/fit, but any problems with the original cable will be gone. Then again, one reason I chose to disregard the super.fi 5 Pro in the past was because of its bulkiness. I want something more low-profile... at least I think I do.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 16
Was etymotic not present at the meet?

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by electro house /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent approximately 6 hours listening to a lot of IEMs and a few headphones at the 2007, and thought I'd share this - this may be helpful for anyone in a similar situation as me. My goal was to find the best sounding IEMs and closed-ear portable headphones at the meet (to my ears, of course).

Criteria: Under $200. SQ. Strong build. Dependable. SQX2. Model has to be present at meet to win.
Sound Source: Cowon D2. Mostly flat EQ, but did test how IEMs responded to EQ changes.
Genre prefs: Electro House (hello), trance, techno, rock of various varieties (skilled musicians a criteria there), classical, slower songs with female vocalists that have particularly beautiful (imho) voices.

IEM Competition listened to:
Shure: Almost the entire line of Shure under $450: e2c, e3c, e4c, the newer se210, 310.
Westone: um1, um2, Westone 3.
Ultimate Ear: EB, Superfi.5, Triple.fi
V-Moda: Vibes
JBL: 220

I was shocked that Superfi.5's sounded clearly "better" to my ears than all of the above, even the more expensive models listed (To prove I'm not Superfi rep or something, I thought the 5's actually sounded better than Superfi's very own new model, the ~$400+ Triplefi's.)

The totality of factors made the Superfi.5's the clear winner to my ears: the clarity, separation, soundstage, and great SQ from lows, to mids, to highs. The Superfi's were consistently picking up artifacts in my recordings that the others missed (thes recordings were recorded for the most part at good quality levels). The 5's also responded well to EQ adjustments. I could change the settings and the 5's would begin to take on the characteristics of other models of headphones. Heh, it is like having more than one model IEM, when you get tired of this sound, alter the settings and its like having a new, different IEM. I was shocked at the range of adaptability in this model. Yes I know this isn't an audiophile factor -- but just noting that the 5's responded very well to adjustments. Some of the other IEMs seemed to be oblivious - they didn't respond nearly as much to such changes.

The reason my tests took so long is that I listened to each of the IEMs an average of 15 minutes or so. I wanted to hear them all: same day, same source, same genre and quality of recordings. This proved to be a very productive method for me, personally. Yes, it took all day, but I walked away with something I really love. This would have taken weeks to do via ordering them online or going to various stores (which really isn't doable).

I was also surprised I could come away with a clear winner. Almost always in such comparisons, I'll come to the conlcusion "Well the Shure does this better, but UM does this better, then Superfi does this better. But not today. I found a clear winner to my ears.

Headphones:
Criteria: SQ. Under $200. Portable. Strong Build. Closed ear. SQ. When you pump up the volume, how well does the heaphone respond? Does it unravel, or say oh yeah, give me more? Model has to be present at meet to win.

Competition listened to:
AKG K81DJ. (And a bunch of $600+ headphones, but they are huge - not portable and over the price limit so can't put them in here). Winner: Sennheiser HD25-1. This wasn't even a fair comparison in so many respects (81's = $70, while HD25's = $200). Oh well. HD25-1's were the winner; they were the best model I was able to find present at the meet-- wish I was able to listen to more.

I purchased the Superfi.5's- the reps gave me an awesome deal and threw in a lot of freebies...
I have the HD25-1's on order.

Yep, this all terribly subjective and and unscientific.

I'm just sayin' if you are trying to put together a short list of IEMs and closed-can headphones and your funky criteria is close to mine above - put these 2 models on your short list of models you need to listen to prior to pulling the trigger.

That money I spent on the Superfi's is one of my most enjoyable purhases in a long time. As I type this - these Superfi's are giving me goosebumps. I haven't had those goosebumps in a long time, never on this level with IEMs. Heh, perhaps thats the best statement I can make to sum it up: You want to feel goosebumps and your hair standing on end a little when you listen to your favorite music? Give the Superfi.5's a try.

Side note: If your budget is more like $120, do try the Superfi EB -- well if you like tons of bass. But they ain't bad for that price, even if you are not a bass head (which I'm not...I just like that feeling good SQ can give you.)

Okay, flame away.

I feel the same about the Super.fi 5 Pro's. I had the Shure E3C but sold them a while back. Ever since I've acquired the Super.fi 5 Pro's and had them for about a year now and still loving them. Yesterday, I grabbed a pair of Shure E500PTH's to compare with the Super.fi 5 Pro's and see what everyone's raving them about. Well after a few days listening to them, I found they have a different sound signature than the Super.fi 5 Pro's.

The first thing that stood out was the superb midrange, almost too prominent compared to the highs and lows. Because of this, the sound is clear and detailed but forward and more in your face. As mentioned, the bass & treble responses are not as solid as the Super.fi 5 Pro's which result is a more narrow soundstage but not neccessary bad, more like all in your ears. The Super.fi 5 Pro's have better/wider soundstage in this sense due to the excellent bass & highs. As for conform, I think the Shure E500PTH's are better as I can wear it the whole day without any pain unless it pressed against my ears constantly. I can sleep with these on and it wouldn't even be much of a problem. That is just awesome! Sadly, the same cannot be said about the Super.fi 5 Pro's as my ears start to hurt after a few hours of usage. I used the original fittings that came with the E500PTH's (I think they are the Westone ones) while the Super.fi 5 Pro's have the double-flange fittings. When it comes to isolation, both are about the same maybe with the SF5P's having the slight edge. However, this may be due to the fact that the SF5P's may sound just a bit louder at the same volume.

Anyway, I think I prefer the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's over the Shure E500PTH's due to their wider soundstage, stronger bass, and crispier highs but that is just my preference. The E500PTH's will probably go back as their price/performance are not as good as the Super.fi 5 Pro's but for now I will keep them to use for another week or two to see if I will change my mind about them.

I'm sure there are many others who prefer the E500/E530 over the Super.fi 5 Pro's and other IEM's so I think it is best if you give yourself a fair chance of audition these and many other IEM's or headphones (for that matter) to find out which sounds right for you.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 16
I really liked the HD25-1's too when I tested them in Seattle. Write back with a full review when you get them both burned/broke in.

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's still in my radar because of its high ratings in the cable (low microphonics, durable, light, doesn't tangle easily), the comfort (can "disappear"), and it just being generally more bass-heavy and warm than other IEMs. Plenty of people seem to really dig the super.fi 5 Pro sound, however.

Your input got me thinking about the super.fi 5 Pro again, but only because I found out that you can replace the cable with the Westone cable. Not sure if it'd improve the comfort/fit, but any problems with the original cable will be gone. Then again, one reason I chose to disregard the super.fi 5 Pro in the past was because of its bulkiness. I want something more low-profile... at least I think I do.

Disclaimer: Comments below are all IMHO, subjective "to my ears" info. Your results may vary. I think at this level, one just has to listen to both models, and pick the one you like best. Thats the great thing about audio meets -- it allows you to do this.

Its not so much that I didn't like the UM2 & 3. In fact, in my mind, they took "2nd Place" just a little behind the Superfi.5's. As I narrowed my contenders down, I had to go back and listen to the UM offerings again. It was close, and UM would have been my choice if Superfi did not exist.

The UM's sounded great. But the Superfi.5's just gave me more of a rush when I listened to my favorite music. Though the UM's were great, the Superfi5's were greater, (to my ears).

Also, audiophiles surely may prefer the higher end Shures, UM3, and Triplefi's I listened to. They all had more of a reference sound to my ears. Perhaps actually more precise, even what I'd call a scientific sound. Which definitely has its place.

My deal: 90% of the time I'm listening to my music on the go, active. Superfi.5 seemed to increase my inspiration to get active the most. Greatly. The best catalysts.

I agree with your concern about low-profile. that is the one thing I don't like about Superfi.5: they seem higher profile than the rest -- the housing sticks out of your ears further. But its not ridiculous looking (well thats what I tell myself), and the SQ makes it worth it. I'd rather have great SQ and look a little funny, than look cool with lesser SQ.

Here's a funny thing: If it makes you feel any better, a few girls still smiled at me as I walked around San Francisco wearing the Superfi.5's. I tell myself they weren't smiling cause I look like an idiot wearing the Superfi.5's. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was etymotic not present at the meet?

I couldn't find them...gosh, did I miss them?

But anyway, I was shy of those because I heard they have microphonic issues when used by very active people (thats me). But I would have tried them if I found them at the meet -- I looked fairly well but didn't see them there.

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good to know about the cables. What were the "issues" regarding the original Superfi.5 cables? My cables seem fine thus far (I wish they were a flat black instead of a bright white/silver, but thats minor...).

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Here's a funny thing: If it makes you feel any better, a few girls still smiled at me as I walked around San Francisco wearing the Superfi.5's. I tell myself they weren't smiling cause I look like an idiot wearing the Superfi.5's. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Strangely exactly the same thing happened to me when I was in San Francisco. I'd just picked up the SF 5s and was listening to them for the first time when I got a real inviting smile from a young lady passing by. Maybe UE should market them as phones for singletons?
icon10.gif
Then again, maybe she was just smiling at how stupid I looked!

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strangely exactly the same thing happened to me when I was in San Francisco. I'd just picked up the SF 5s and was listening to them for the first time when I got a real inviting smile from a young lady passing by. Maybe UE should market them as phones for singletons?
icon10.gif
Then again, maybe she was just smiling at how stupid I looked!

Hahahaha. This is funny. Hey, we better be careful and keep our secret between ourselves. If the word gets out on this, next thing you know all the dudes will be wearing the UE's as a fashion piece, tryin to score girls. And we lose the monopoly on our chick magnet.

I was actually wondering -- I wonder why they'd be smiling like that -- are some of them actually thinking this far: "Hm, this dude is wearing some expensive-looking earphones, he must have at least a modicum of extra money, that he could spend on me/us...or at least he's not totally broke..."
Or maybe they think there's a dude who loves music, like me...

Or yeah, maybe they think, gawd, what a geek...

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 16
I've just purchased the e4c and from the reviews here on head-fi, I expected more. They have too much mids and not enough highs. The sound is not nearly detailed or crisp as my 580s. Compared to the senns, they sound muffled.

I understand that IEMs can't compare to Full-Size but I didnt realize the difference would be so huge. My goal was to get SQ from IEMs as close to my 580s as possible, but I think I'm dreaming. Does anybody have IEMs that sound close to their Full-Size? Maybe I got a defective pair?

Apr 28, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 16
Actually, those smiling admirers are paid models, paid by Ultimate Ears. You've probably heard of cool plants inserted by companies into bars, etc., to pitch some product under the cover of cool. Well this is similar, and they both sell and are also paid to give positive reinforcement. If you get close enough, they'll whisper.... would you like some ultimate...... ears.... It's irresistable. I myself have some 50+ iems from ultimate b/c of this dang scheme.

Apr 28, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I agree with your concern about low-profile. that is the one thing I don't like about Superfi.5: they seem higher profile than the rest -- the housing sticks out of your ears further.

Gotta do the Flip Mod. Switch the wires on the two elements. (Do a search on it for exact method.) It will make them more comfortable to wear and they lay flat against your ears. It doesn't hurt the sound IMO, but some people say it does change the soundstage so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back