Superfi 5 pro - Amp or not
Nov 10, 2007 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

McCol

Headphoneus Supremus
I've recently just bought these earphone's and so far very pleased with the sound, actually think I prefer them to my Atrio M5's.

I'm using with a n ipod classic. I've read that the line out on the ipod is excellent and am curious as to wether i would gain any sound advantage using a new amp, the corda headsix for example.

Reason i ask is that i recently sold my old amp(corda mkIII) as i didnt notice any great difference using the amp with M5 and my now departed Cowan D2.

Anybody give me advice on this before i take the plunge and order the Corda?

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 19
I've found the super fi 5 doesn't really benefit from amping as much as the triple fi 10 does.

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 19
Nah, but from what I gather about this IEM, I would suggest getting a Westone cable.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 19
Hello Stas. Lately our suggestions about IEMs and portable amps are always the same. I wonder why
wink.gif

Go for the Westone cable.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 19
I do think an amp betters the Super.Fi 5 Pro's sound, but its all subjective.

@ antonyfirst: which Westone Cable is recommended for the SF5's?

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 19
Well i can't seem to find anything, but it can't be that hard. They look identical connector wise, just cosmetics.

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 19
the biggest benefit of using an AMP is to get the siginal from Lineout which will boost the SQ a lot (agreed by a lot Head-Fiers),
The next step is to choose an AMP with less audible hiss since 5pro is a high sensitivity IEM (although the hiss on IPC is little to none, but a good AMP can always improve that)

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 19
Some headphones are less sensitive than others to different sources. It seems the Superfi5 are this kind of headphone. Hence, the amp is not necessary.

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some headphones are less sensitive than others to different sources. It seems the Superfi5 are this kind of headphone. Hence, the amp is not necessary.

I didn't know that since I only have 2 DAPs. Maybe you mean the sources with low output power will have less hiss?
but with the super.fi 5 connect to my IPC PO, I can hear the background hiss (only during night time when I lay down in the bed though) Consider it's 119DB/mW sensitivity and only 21ohms Impedance, I guess the hiss cannot be avoided from most DAPs through this phone. (unless the DAP has good control of the hiss)

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 19
No, no, I wasn't talking about hiss. They pick a lot of hiss as you are saying. The Shure E500 and Westone UM2 pick much is too.

What I mean is the Superfi 5 are a very coloured IEM, and they won'd benefit much from the added color of an amp. Plus, they are not as transparent as Etymotic ER4S and likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back