SuperFi 4vi Fake?
Apr 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Hi, I'm new to these forums, I've been browsing them for a while, but never created an account, well, there is a time for everything.  Enough introduction. 

I recently got a new pair of Ultimate Ears SuperFi 4vi from Ebay.  I thought I'd be getting a legit pair.  However, after searching long and far, it seems that mine may be fake.  IDK for sure since all the fake vs real images look crappily Photoshopped or painted.  I am currently uploading pictures, but for now I'll just explain them to you all.  The headphones seem to be more of a bluish tone than the images online, this of course can be lighting, so I'll continue.  The microphone that comes out of the right earpiece has the UE logo embossed downward on it.  The Y-split is a flat funnel shape (It isn't round).  The remote has a cylindrical button that is sensitive to the touch and presses really easily.  The backside of the remote had the UE logo embossed downward just like the microphone.  The headphone jack is gold with black stripes/contacts and has the UE logo embossed downward on 2 sides (180 degrees from each other).  On one side it has the code C41 embossed upward on it.  The jack itself is straight like the pictures.

The things that don't match up is the remote with the UE logo on it (instead of a phone logo) and the C41 writing on it (IDK if that matters at all).  I haven't gotten any images of real vs fake that are of quality that allow me to decifer fully as they all look like cheap Photoshops (or paints).  If anyone knows they have a legit version of the SuperFi 4vi headset and can chime in, please let me know. 

I'm on the assumption that they are fake, however, for some reason, I actually like the sound they produce.  Are my ears going bad?  They are brighter (and harsh compared to the RE0), with some bass (nothing heavy, but not light either; heavier than the RE0).  The mids are a little sibilant, but nothing I can't handle.  They are still burning in (50 hours of burn in so far). 

I'll link to the picasa album with the pics after they upload, they are 12MP straight from the camera, no edits.  After I've had enough to determine whether or not they are fake, I'll be deleting them and putting up lower resolution shots (edited with Photoshop a little).

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/tinyman392/UltimateEarsSuperFi4vi?authkey=Gv1sRgCI_8qZvG6Lm0jAE#

Oh yeah, this is the page of the product I bought (I looked for a top rated seller to up my chances of not getting fakes...): http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-Ears-Super-FI-4-vi-Earphones-Apple-iPhone-/250507519163?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8760520848540277908

May 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 10
No help?  I need to know if I should ask this guy for a refund cause the headphones seem suspicious...

May 1, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Don't worry about the C4X screening on the cable.  I have the same thing on my official Triple.Fi cables, and I think that it is perfectly normal.  I don't have a mic cable, nor the Super.Fi4's but they look very real to me.

May 1, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 10
i have the super fi4's without mic (from minidisc.com.au) and they look the same in the pics and all the things you mentioned like blueish colour, Y-split shape, headphone jack being gold, logos etc, only difference being my code is C37 and I only have two black bands on my jack which are both probably since mine is the model without mic. obviously I wouldn't know about the extra microphone features. I would also agree with your description of the sound (even though I have very little experience with iems)
one word of advice would be that you should be careful if you are going to store them in the provided case. The cable housing of mine have come detached from the jack which I blame on curling them up in the little case, so you should try to minimise stress placed on this area obviously.

May 1, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 10
OK, thanks for the helpful information.  Gives me some relief :)  I did contact Ultimate Ears Logitech support, but they haven't responded...

May 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
i have the super fi4's without mic (from minidisc.com.au) and they look the same in the pics and all the things you mentioned like blueish colour, Y-split shape, headphone jack being gold, logos etc, only difference being my code is C37 and I only have two black bands on my jack which are both probably since mine is the model without mic. obviously I wouldn't know about the extra microphone features. I would also agree with your description of the sound (even though I have very little experience with iems)
one word of advice would be that you should be careful if you are going to store them in the provided case. The cable housing of mine have come detached from the jack which I blame on curling them up in the little case, so you should try to minimise stress placed on this area obviously.

Mine didn't come with a case :frowning2:  No retail packaging at all, which is why I doubted them.  Thanks for the confirmation with the lettering on the jack and the SQ.  Helps a lot, you have no idea. 

May 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
They look pretty real to me, I've owned 3 Ultimate Ears and the quality of the cables and accessories matches to what I have. Also, they have the pink "tested" minijack cap, which I wouldn't expect on a fake.  

OK, sounds good.  :)  I'm just happy I didn't get a fake then :)

May 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Logitech got back to me, and they are genuine. Thanks for all the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back