Superfi 3 vs Superfi 5 pro vs Sony 71ex
Sep 18, 2005 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

net_dos

Head-Fier
earphones.jpg
eek.gif
I just bought myself SuperFi 5 Pro and SuperFi 3.

I bought both so I can actually compare them back to back.

It may sound weird but I guess I just don't have audiophile-level ears like you guys.

Here's my summary to make long story short.

Audio Source:
iPod nano 4GB

Earphones:
SuperFi 5 Pro- treble and bass is superb compared to the rest...
vs
SuperFi 3- treble is nice...bass lacks when it's compared to even $35 sony 71ex...volume is as loud as superfi pro even at the same volume level. overall very clear and tight...
vs
Sony71EX- volume is very low even at the same volume level compared to super3 and 5..but when I raise the volume to 80% it just as good as the rest. i can notice 71ex is slighty muddier..

So the biggest difference I'm hearing is the volume level. I don't know why but SuperFi earphones are considerably louder at the same volume level. I guess this is a definite plus. Other than that, I hear subtle differences in treble and bass compared to 71EX but I don't think that constitutes the price difference of $65~165..When 71EX is raised to appropriate volume level...they perform as good as SuperFis..

Am I weird or what? My ear is bad?

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 16
Ok I am assuming that the Super.Fi has midrange response on par with the Etymotic ER6i (which I own) in which case there should definitely be a difference heard when comparing to the Sony EX71. The sonys have extremely recessed midrange; I'm not talking subtle differences here, the difference is like night and day.

Either you're not wearing them correctly or your ears/brain are still in "consumer" mode.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the differences may not be so obvious with certain types of music. What are you listening to?

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
Ok I am assuming that the Super.Fi has midrange response on par with the Etymotic ER6i (which I own) in which case there should definitely be a difference heard when comparing to the Sony EX71. The sonys have extremely recessed midrange; I'm not talking subtle differences here, the difference is like night and day.

Either you're not wearing them correctly or your ears/brain are still in "consumer" mode.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the differences may not be so obvious with certain types of music. What are you listening to?

I tried rock and pop.

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 16
::waits for the MDR-EX71 cable sheath to fall apart ::
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well... only if you use them a lot and are quite active.

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwiclx
::waits for the MDR-EX71 cable sheath to fall apart ::
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well... only if you use them a lot and are quite active.

see my sig? i broke them three times..it isn't like i treated them like they are built with titanium either..built quality of EX71 is just CRAPTASTIC...after 3rd one breaking with the SAME symptom, I called it quits and went on to get some REAL earphones..Sony..what's wrong with them nowdays..

back to the topic..i no longer has these earphones..i just thought these headphones aren't for me..

to answer some of your questions..

-SuperFi 3 Studio was crystal clear..i mean in terms of treble, i couldn't tell much from SuperFi 5 Pro...but like i said..it lacks very much in bass..even to EX71...however..EX71 might have more bass than superfi 5 studio..i'd rather have LESS bass with QUALITY..EX71 may have more sheer amount of bass..but their quality sucks..it just muddier when i heard it..overall though..superfi 3 studio lacked too much in bass for me..

-and yes..SuperFi 3 Studio protrudes way too much from my ear..i mean i use these things when i'm in bed sleeping..it was VERY uncomfortable when i had to put my head on the pillow. as for casually wearing these...i guess it is alright..but i still don't like those steel reinforcements as i find them prone to breaking after many bending/unbending usage.

-i do not have e4c yet...it is still in transit..it should arrive by monday of this week so i'll post some on my feelings when it arrives.

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by net_dos
see my sig? i broke them three times..it isn't like i treated them like they are built with titanium either..built quality of EX71 is just CRAPTASTIC...after 3rd one breaking with the SAME symptom, I called it quits and went on to get some REAL earphones..Sony..what's wrong with them nowdays..

Amen to that. I'm surprised I didn't get the dreaded sound-went-out-in-one-bud, however with the cable falling part, they could no longer serve me effectively. I believe the nicks in the wire that started the whole cable deterioration came simply from storing them too often. Crappy material.
mad.gif

They still get use time as I keep them hooked up to my computer for when I game. :O

I'm eager to hear what you have to say about the Shures since I use them as my primary ones now and you've had the opportunity to try a few others.
etysmile.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 16
yeah these are really helpful to me. I'm planning on getting super.fi 3, but you said that their bass is really lacking. Does its lack of bass become too obvious that it the treble feels overly dominant? B/c I want one that is well balance with both tight bass and treble.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 16
e4c.jpg

e4cne3c.jpg

Well my Shure E4c final got here in one piece and I was able to do some A-B comparison of E4c and E3c.

Before reading any further, I am saying beforehand that my ear is no way up to the level of audiophile and am just stating my opinion about these canal earphones.

When I first touched E4c, I immediately noticed that it weighted much more than E3c and it gave a nice quality feel to it. With hollow aluminum cylinder attached, the built quality of E4c was much superior to light-weighted(cheap) feel of E3c. Despite the fact it gave much more quality looks however, I did find those cylinders little uncomfortable at first since they were cold when I first wore them on. Other than that, both earphones had identical wire length, size, and material.

With much anxiety, I finally pumped up Bon Jovi's Have a Nice Day with E4c. Without doing any A-B comparison, I instantanteously noticed that treble was MUCH MUCH better. I mean this difference was so wide that it was like night and day. My ear litterally refused to be taken off at first when my brain commanded my hand to take them off for A-B comparison.
eggosmile.gif
Compared to E4c, E3c's percussion sounds were MUDDY. I mean its detail wasn't obviously apparent in E3c. One word to describe the difference between these two canalphones? Clarity.

In terms of bass, I did find E4c more punchy but in overall extent, the difference was negligible. I dare to say that in terms of bass, SuperFi 5 Pro beats E4c flat...but not enough to justify the difference of $50 in price tag..(btw i bought mine for $140). Plus, my preference in music isn't accentuated in bass...I'd much prefer clarity and its detailness compared to overpowering bass. In other words, if you are a bass-head, I suggest you go for SuperFi 5 pro.

Another thing, if you are deciding between Shure E4c and E3c..it is a very easy decision. My advice from owning both canalphone is that you should save up and seriously just get E4c...difference in treble was so substantial..it totally makes up for the price difference. Plus, if you look around wisely E4c can be had for $175-200. That's just about $60-80 difference and I think that is worth every penny for having SUPERIOR clarity and fidelity.

Well that more or less sums up my impression on E4c and E3c..

Fire away questions if I haven't already answered..

Happy Head-fying
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back