SuperFi.3/4 vs Klipsch Image S4 vs. CX500s vs. R0?
Sep 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pott

100+ Head-Fier
Well I narrowed it down to those choices... I have CX500s so they'll be the reference. I striked down a few such as low end Shures and Denon 551s, and added the R0 to the list (why not).

How would these differ?

From what I gather:

The Super3 would be clearer than the 500s.
The R0 would probably be the clearest of all, but a little bass light... same as the super3.
The S4 are probably the better all rounder, better built than the R0.

Am I missing anything...?

I have about €80 to spend.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Correct call on the super .fi 3. Don't bother with the Denon C551s; at your price point, go for the 710s, if any. I can't vouch for those, though. Both my Senns and my Denons had thumping bass, so it might be worth a try.

I haven't found the super .fi 3 bass-light. I've found my CX500 heavy, not to the point of muddiness, but I find them unbalanced. I don't like what they do to quiet acoustic tracks.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 5
I like the EQ on the 500s... Not too much bass, enough to make it stand out, but not overly. It's just not that clear I find... I'm affraid I'd lack thump with the superfi3, hence why I was considering the Klipsch, if they had a more even EQ and chunkier tone.

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into those Denons as well. And maybe the Superfi3 aren't such a bad choice then...

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 5
While I didn't find the super.fi 3 to be bass-light, they didn't really provide any "thump" or impact. If it's bass impact that you crave (but with increased detail), I'd look elsewhere.

Also, I feel I need stress that, in my experience, the SF3 sounds very different depending on the source; It sounded clear and lively when connected to the computer, but when plugged into my Clip, it sounded overly warm and seemed to lack detail. Of course, mileage may vary.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Mhmm... I'm not necessarily looking for 'extra' bass. Just a nice, defined bass range. I want to hear it, not to have it overbearing if you see what I mean. The bass on the 500s is just fine, it's just clear enough and it sounds great. But the rest of the EQ range could be a little more definied.

I don't mind a warmer sound either though not at the expense of clarity I think.

I have a Clip as well. Clip, Sony A729 and Cowon D2+ for DAPs, and into my old Sony Minidisc power through which goes my laptop at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back