Supercheap USB dac to fix crappy University PC audio issue.
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fulvio

Head-Fier
I study interpreting in Italy, and our audio/interpreting system is connected to a crappy desktop with crappy cables soldered by our technician guy (our university can't even afford new cables and purchase planning is not a priority to our professors).
While I'm planning to resolder a couple of the cables myself with new 3.5 jacks, there is nothing I can do for the poor desktop abused plugs. Due to continuous, careless plugging and unplugging they fit worse than an old whore after the passing of a thirsty army.
My goal is reducing hissing and other interferences I'm now experiencing with lousy cables and lousy desktop.
If this is possible, I would like to find a very cheap usb dac (I'd go with one of the 1$ things on Aliexpress if I didn't know that with your help I can find something reasonably better under 5$). I don't care if it's just a board, I don't care if I have to assemble it myself, it could actually be more fun.
Also, if you can point me to a cheap, decent 3.5 male to XLR3 male (could be female, I'd have to check) cable, I could consider buying it too.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 10
Schiit Fulla 2 ?

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 10
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 10
Topping nx2? Isn't an awesome dac but will do the trick. Just don't leave it next to a smart phone.

they fit worse than an old whore after the passing of a thirsty army
nice :)

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 10
The Walnut (sold on Aliexpress) is around $20 USD and can function as a USB DAC on top of its main function as a portable DAP.

Another cheap option I've seen being recommended is one of Hifime's DIY USB dacs. I think they're more expensive, at around $40?

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 10
The Walnut (sold on Aliexpress) is around $20 USD and can function as a USB DAC on top of its main function as a portable DAP.

Another cheap option I've seen being recommended is one of Hifime's DIY USB dacs. I think they're more expensive, at around $40?

Closer to my budget but still pretty far from it...
I understand, you all are too spoiled with quality sound to understand my needs :)
You have no idea how crappy those systems sound. there are at least 4 different kinds of hiss coming and going, static cracking, interference from one system to another, beepings at every message on your phone...
What I need to know is: does a 3$ usb like this
s-l225.jpg
with a PCM2704 chip be better than an abused front jack plug, regarding static interference and sudden disconnections?
EDIT: OR, is there something around $5 sensibly better than that?

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Basically you want to switch from one crap to another :sweat_smile:
Walnut and Topping nx2 are are valid candidates but since the budget is what it is, then I recommend something like this on amazon it:
- UGREEN Scheda Audio USB Esterna
- CSL – Scheda audio USB esterna
I think you'll just have to install the drivers and here you go.
Rather than throwing money away in crap, spend a little more and buy something decent that will last you, otherwise it's useless. See it as an investment.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 10
mate if you pm me your address i will post you a topping nx2 which is collecting dust in my drawer. Shouldnt be mega expensive to send to Italy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back