Superb customer service from Grado!
May 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
----------------------------------------
I forgot to post this last fall when I had my 325i repaired (right driver). I e-mailed John, who very politely asked me to contact the Canadian distributor (Audio Group), who promptly e-mailed me a list of repair costs for every phone that Grado makes. He also told me that they can either measure the good driver and match a new one to it or replace both drivers. I confirmed my preference and sent the phones off. They installed two new matching drivers and replaced the cord (teethmarks that my cat had chewed into it).

When I got them back (within a week) they sounded better than my original325i; imaging was spot on like the original but the tendency toward brightness was gone, with a more balanced sound. Bass was aligned with the treble (I took them over to Zanth and he also thought they sounded smoother and less bright).

I sent a "thank you" to both parties and got "you're very welcome" back from both. I asked John if he sent some "magical drivers" and his response shall remain off the record (as it was coy and could be subject to misinterpretation) but let's just say that it was a giant "wink".

May 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 14
[sarcasm] Blasphemy! We all know Grado are of bunch of unprofessional hacks that only sell snake oil and voodoo. You MUST be on their payroll. [/sarcasm]

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. It would be nice if you could "elaborate" on this giant winkie face!
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. It would be nice if you could "elaborate" on this giant winkie face!
biggrin.gif

I'm also curious to know.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 14
Perhaps you got one of the new set of 325is drivers... according to the Grado site the drivers may have had another update. Or they gave you RS1i drivers... hmm...

May 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 14
I lost one black plastic cap from my ms2i. I first sent an email to Grado Australia and their staff said he can send me one for free and asked my address. But maybe 1 week later i received nothing so I gave them an email again. Then they replied that I had to give them a proof that my cans were bought within Australia. I told them I bought them from Head-Fi and I just expected to BUY one replacement. Then no any response at all....

Anyone knows where I can grab a replacement? Thanks in advance....

May 13, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows where I can grab a replacement? Thanks in advance....

You could try Audiophile Australia but I'm not sure if they do replacements/repairs. Won't hurt to give them a call though, they're nice chaps.

May 13, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 14
Try your local hardware store. They should have little plastic caps for a few pennies. Buy two, then they'll match, even if they're not 'Grado' original equipment.

I'm minded of little plastic caps that my mother bought to put over the end of the dishwasher wire rack after the enamel had been chipped off, to keep rust off the plates.

May 13, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 14
I think it goes without saying that I've had nothing but stellar experiences with Grado customer service. Any time I've dealt with John, I've been treated exceptionally well and always given more than my money's worth... a tour of the factory, a listen to a prototype while waiting for a phone to be repaired, and always incredible insight and information on what makes the company what it is. I can't think of any other product I've never purchased that has come with such personal care and attention, which has really added to my actions as a repeated customer.

May 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by peepee-king /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try Audiophile Australia but I'm not sure if they do replacements/repairs. Won't hurt to give them a call though, they're nice chaps.

Oh yes, I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks

May 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 14
Shouldn't this be placed in a grado appreciation thread or something? Along with all the reports of the headphones that didn't break
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you got one of the new set of 325is drivers

I'm thinking that this is the case. All I pleaded for was that the drivers be close-matched to spec. I was worried that replacing one driver (putting in a new one with an old one) might impede this.

The difference is not night and day. Just a more subdued top. So it's more evenly response'd. Slightly less fast is the price I pay. But illusion of speed can often be excessive treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back