Super weird Spotify problem on Fiio X7ii
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

villainous

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

After finding very little across the internet about this sort of problem, I thought I'd ask if anyone's heard of this, and perhaps a fix.

This is regarding a Fiio X7ii, running Android 5.1.1. The other day, seemingly at random, Spotify has turned from being a music player to being a noise generator. Literally everything I play on it now sounds absolutely terrifying, almost pure noise, but you can still sorta hear the actual music. All other apps work fine, so it's clearly Spotify specific. Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Changing all settings within Spotify
  • Changing volume (it's not clipping)
  • Downloading rather than streaming
  • Clearing cache
  • Checking the equalizer is off
  • Testing between line out and headphone out (no difference)
  • Reinstalling Spotify
  • Installing an older version of Spotify
  • Performing a factory reset of the DAP
  • Installing an older firmware on the DAP
  • Installing the latest firmware on the DAP again
  • Installing Fidelizer's latest firmware
... I think that's all? Moral of the story is I'm at a total dead end with this. Any thoughts or experience with this sort of issue?

I'm also working on hearing from Spotify on this, will post if there's anything useful from them.

Thank you!!

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 3
I was hoping someone has this issue with X7 and Spotify; and was googling then find this post. I am having exactly the same issue. My X7MK2 just has this problem maybe about a week ago. I switched all the setting I can possibly find, reinstalled Spotify, even reset the X7 back to factory setting as you did, but the problem remains. I suspect that it is something relayed to an update bug as this just surfaced recently. About a week ago it was playing ok (although still encounter ed other bugs here and there).
Do you find any possible solution? I owned several DAP in the past, and had a high hope for X7MK2. But my experience with it has been a nightmare. I think I would never buy any products from Fiio anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi hungping and everyone else reading. After contact with the folks at Fiio, I was able to get a hold of an original apk of Spotify that used to be on the Fiio Marketplace (which has sadly been down for some time). After installing this version again, everything seems to be back to normal! I haven't allowed it to update in fear of it breaking again.

The version of the working Spotify is 8.4.68.903 armV7.
The version that was NOT working was 8.5.73.824.

For the record, I got a lead on this solution from Keetakawee who creates and maintains the Fidelizer Audio project.

Also thanks again to Fiio for always being a company ready to help (and usually capable of) even several years down the road.

Here's the link that Fiio gave me to download the apk:

http://fiio-file.fiio.net/whitelists/spotify.apk

If you don't already know, attempting to open the apk in most file managers on Android should give the option to install.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back