Super Street Fighter IV
May 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...that said, I play a lot of arcade shooters, too......... mmmmm Seimitsuuuuu.

Ikaruga much? I build my own sticks and personally I grew up on iL, so that's what I use. I keep telling myself I'll make a seimetsu, but I think 3 sticks is probably too much.... right?

May 3, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #32 of 38
Are the lobbies just like the lobbies from SSFHDR? I didn't like those a lot either.

They have their "nostalgia value", but in a virtual world where you can have any number of virtual cabins they make no sense at all. If I wanted to watch, I should be able to simply choose to, instead of being forced to while I wait for my turn to play.

These little interface mistakes get on my nerves. I find it so extremely annoying that people specialized on this stuff can let this kind of thing just pass by... It would have been so easy to just kick you into "looking for oponents" right after you exit the battle summary... I know it is just 2 button presses, but still.

I wonder if Rose's Sham wow still work the wonder that it used to
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #34 of 38
Here's something that I have wanted for a long time but it seems to slip the minds of game developers every damn time:

How about being able to save individual button configs so that you can quickly swap them!?

Maybe they don't realise that people still have friends come and visit them in their house, kinda old skool I know...

May 3, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #35 of 38
Not a problem with me interms of button config...but yes, it's such a simple little thing. How could they not add it on? Luckily, I can use standard ones without a problem.

I love the new online modes. They're way better than SSF4.

As mentioned before, jab still stuff some of the moves...but it requires a slight bit more timing now. I tried this playing as Dudley with pretty short frame rates of light punch...and played against my friend using Adon with his flying kick. I spammed LP most of the time when I see him flying in, but it dosn't seem to stuff it 100% time. I actually have to somewhat time it now.

Still loving it so far!

May 3, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ikaruga much? I build my own sticks and personally I grew up on iL, so that's what I use. I keep telling myself I'll make a seimetsu, but I think 3 sticks is probably too much.... right?

If you DIY your sticks, there is no such thing as too much. Woody cabinet those beasts and sell them!!!

As for Ikaruga, I haven't really dedicated any playtime to it since the Dreamcast, but I'm always up for 2-player action. I tend toward the less cerebral shooters (Gradius V produced the worst case of Nintendo claw on record), but I have a real soft spot for the polarity system. There was a time that I could "perfect" the first three stages.

Back to SSF, the online modes are not comprehensive enough for a lot of people - the fact that there are no longer 1-on-1 player matches via Arcade fight requests irks a LOT of people. BUT... endless and team battle modes are little slices of true glory. Closest online experience to IRL arcade battles to date, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, this coincided with my headset breaking, but that's beyond the point.

Started working with Ibuki this weekend and she is a riot to play. Her two hit jump-ins and meaty standing target combos, plus insta-mixups, quasi-command throws and vortex headgames make her really dangerous against a sloppy player. I can't believe how many people are playing her as a turtle. She's all about onslaught! Several options for starting combos at a distance make her otherwise short pokes much more usable and surprising. Hit stun on her Kunai is insane.

Anyway, I'm gushing. I love you for this, Capcom.

[EDIT] As for custom button configs, they do save for a given gamer profile. Provided your friends are logging in as their own profile, it should prove a decent shortcut to their preferred layout. Of course, real men wiggle sticks.
wink.gif

May 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #37 of 38
I'm a bit late to the party, but I picked up SSF4 for XBox despite really not liking vanilla SF4 (I had way too many good memories of SF2/SF2T/SSF2 from back in the day to let one bad weekend rental change my mind).

I agree with the opinions expressed here - I think this is a considerably better-balanced game.  I'm still learning some of the more advanced controls (The SF2's didn't ever have those 'double' thumbstick motions, so I don't quite have the timing down on them) so I'm obviously not fighting at a very high level, but I'm having fun!  Currently playing as Dudley and finding it a pleasant challenge, especially on Seth.  I still hate Seth.

Have any of you played with both the XBox controllers and arcade-style controllers?  I'm interested to know if it's common for players to have trouble executing the difficult special moves on the thumbstick.  I'm certainly not averse to DIYing a controller. :)

May 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #38 of 38
I personally could never get used to the stick method vs. Dpad. I think what got me was the lack of a tactile indicator whether you were holding up, down or neutral. Of course, the 360 Dpad sucks too...

Lots of positive reviews regarding the Mad Catz fight pads (nice rocker pad design and six button layout), although if you are rough with your things, they also reportedly break easily enough. Believe it or not, there are lots of people who swear by USB-converted Sega Saturn pads, too.

'Course, IMO, you gotta rock the stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back