Super Secret Seattle meet 9/12/2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #16 of 23
Awesome, , I have three ups from cyber power but not sure too much about them. Would like to compare what you were using with success. I know the YGG is a mere 35w and my m11 is 45w. Should be easy to power, I just didn't know how clean the power is from those ups'
I do know they are heavy as hell! Just moved a couple all in one bin.
If I decide to bring my m11 to a meet sometime I will consider hot transporting it as I believe it makes a bi enough difference for the effort. IMHO :wink:

Good idea. Yggy isn't the only device that this is suggested for. There's an Audioquest white paper that tested Dragonfly performance, both measured and listening, concluding 24 hr warmup achieves optimum performance. As a practical matter, 24 hr warm up means you might as well leave it on all the time. Seems like a good idea for all cool running low current digital devices.

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #17 of 23
So that DIY thread I mentioned above?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook

I already have done yet another experiment…

I'm dig'n it as I write this.

JJ :atsmile:

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #18 of 23
Hmm... my Paradisea 3 and Sunrise 3 can probably use one of the 500va models and still be able to get to anywhere in WA without powering down. I'll consider this as well.

So this UPS with clean power graphs... is it also while plugged into the wall or just strictly on battery power?

Here in the PNW where we have really stable and 'clean' power, the 'NEED' for a UPS is greatly ameliorated.

And I'd bet that a difference could be heard between a dac and especially a power amp, being plugged straight in to the wall vs. using a UPS.

In my experiments, where I use that tester and measure the ac power delivery, have shown me that limiting the ability to flow copious amounts of current is usually audible, especially with tweako gear.

Just my 2¢

JJ

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #19 of 23
A ups is a bandaid for a power regenerator. That my friend is the holy grail really.

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #20 of 23
Too bad I didn't bring in my PSaudio P300 a/c regenerator to the meet. It was sitting in the car, but since I was advised to only bring my headphones and beer, I chose to not overcrowd the limited space available. It would be interesting to test it. As it will now have a tesla treated outlet and a solid red copper/rhodium plated outlet to compare and test. 

I noticed a difference when running my gear off the P300. it wasn't subtle.

-T

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #21 of 23
Here in the PNW where we have really stable and 'clean' power, the 'NEED' for a UPS is greatly ameliorated.

And I'd bet that a difference could be heard between a dac and especially a power amp, being plugged straight in to the wall vs. using a UPS.

In my experiments, where I use that tester and measure the ac power delivery, have shown me that limiting the ability to flow copious amounts of current is usually audible, especially with tweako gear.

Just my 2¢

JJ

A ups is a bandaid for a power regenerator. That my friend is the holy grail really.

There seems to be many factors for clean power, to be honest if we're to do classroom sessions before the next meet I think the ideas should go from wall outlets/power/power cables/ regens/ etc then hit into the DACs for the next meet/classroom. Then Amps, then headphones...basics. Year after start going into advance things like tweaking with silver compound, etc etc All recorded and edited and shared for the world to see.

I have an opportunity to redo a power panel on my next home and I think I will take your advice from the last mini-meet JJ, and that is to put a direct power strictly to my audio gear without other things in it. It would seem that taking things off from the chain would present a really clean and ample amount of juice to audio gear straight from the main or sub panel. I'll get the fancy audio outlets and maybe even fancy in-wall stuff too (if it exists)? I mean if we're spending duckets on pow cables, might as well get the good stuff in the wall too. Or does having a fancy power cable from the wall to the DAC or AMP negate what's inside the walls?

A regenerator would be interesting. Maybe @atomicbob has scientific input backed by lab findings on how much better of a power source it is..

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #22 of 23
It was again a good time had by all. However, I did much more talking than I did listening and missed out on the Ygg/Rok. Opps! However, I really did enjoy the blind taste testing of the power cables. We are really splitting hairs, but those hairs are cumulative and exponential so they count. What amazed me was how well the tesla treated cables tested compared to the cryo treatment. Once JJ is done building the tesla coil for all of us to try, I think the results will be eye opening.

JJ, I am still waiting for you to show me how to power my house and audio gear from a ground tap. I think that will provide a much cleaner supply of current as it shouldn't be dirtied by the neighbors which should translate well to much higher SQ. The next trick will be to draw power from the either so that we can hot transport with that same high quality current.  
wink_face.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #23 of 23
Barra splitting hairs is like rolling caps, resistors, fuses and maybe some hook up wire. Cables are easy, Cable treatment is easy. Metallurgy is easy. Welcome to the rabbit hole..... It is quite the auditory journey....... You are in good hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back