Super Pro DAC707SE USB, a real giant killer?
Aug 9, 2008 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DARKHAVEN

100+ Head-Fier
I think most of you looking at budget DACs, particularly USB DACs, have come across the Super Pro USB DAC707SE ($109 from Audiomagus - high end not high priced audio products). I noticed it uses the same high quality CS4398 DAC chip (great specs, 24/192, 120dB dynamic and 107 signal-to-noise) and same CS8416 receiver chip as the $400 Headroom Micro DAC. It uses dual LT1364C OP AMPS for analog output, which is where the Micro DAC differs. I also don't know the details of the power setup and regulation (which I'm sure is better on the Micro DAC), but I can't help but wonder if this little guy isn't a real monster at this price? I also wonder if you couldn't replace the wall wart that comes with the Super Pro with an Astrodyne, like Headroom recommends for the Micro DAC? Maybe we'd get even closer with the switching power supply.

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 8
Since no one else popped in here, and I'm researching future DACs: no. Nice for the price, but after many hours of listening, the coloration starts coming through. I've gradually been listening to it less and less. It pumps out detail, but it's not terribly balanced or natural sounding.

Also, the PSU it comes with is crap. An unregulated non-switcher makes a huge difference.

I don't regret purchasing it (at the least, it caused many hours of researching, and gaining knowledge about DACs); but, I would save my money, if given the choice again.

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedauntlessone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should look into other dacs like the Zero, Zhaolu, Keces or a Diyeden. These are more expensive but they can last a very long time.

Yes, I agree. I moved toward the Keces USB model (the 151 I think), that will be a better (and longer) stopgap until I can afford a Benchmark DAC1 Pre. Thanks.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 8
I have had the purple version for a couple of years. Seriously, it is comparable to the Cambridge DacMagic III that i just got. The DacMagic hasn't fully burned in, but, still, it is comparable, if not better.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 8
Why not take a look at the Valab dac, there are no op-amps in the output stage, has a built in regulated power supply and is very natural sounding (NOS) after break in, has coax, USB and Toslink inputs and sells for $180.00 shipped, one of the users over on the Valab thread sold his benchmark in favor of the Valab.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not take a look at the Valab dac, there are no op-amps in the output stage, has a built in regulated power supply and is very natural sounding (NOS) after break in, has coax, USB and Toslink inputs and sells for $180.00 shipped, one of the users over on the Valab thread sold his benchmark in favor of the Valab.

Any advice where to buy themn? And yes, I tried ebay and search function
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 8
The Valab dac is available on Ebay, they sell real fast then they take the add off, it's also Chinese New Year so they may not be avaialble for a while. Do a search for Valab and E-mail them, ask when they will be available again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back