Super-Mini V5 or PortaCordaII
Apr 10, 2003 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Snurflax

New Head-Fier
Please just respond with which one you like better and why! For the love of God, I searched this forum for threads on the same subject, but nobody every actually said which one was better cause they would go off and talk about some stupid amp that wasn't even one of the choices the person wanted to know about.

So please, respond with ONLY information on the Super-Mini (V4 or V5) vs PortaCordaII. I want to know which would be better at driving a Sennheiser HD-280pro and an HD-480, if the two headphones don't have the same degree of performance for both amps (only talkin' about two remember), that is fine.

In conclusion, I want to know which sounds better and why. I don't care about the prices, unless the PortaCordaII has such a low amount of difference that the Super-Mini would be more cost-effective (please mention this in the preference portion of the reply).

Thank you for your info, and I hope this forum will help me make another good purchase. BTW I didn't mean to sound rude, I just wasted a lot of time going through thread after thread of essentially useless information.

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 13
The super mini 5.18 has just been released with an updated power supply. It’s so new that I haven’t read anything about it here on Head-Fi.. Fixup is working on a new version 6 that will have built-in crossfeed No release date on it yet.

Fixup keeps making improvements to the super mini amp so I doubt anyone can truly answer your question just yet. You may have to wait until people get the latest and greatest super mini before any recommendations can be made

Here is the url for the latest info regarding the super mini amps.

http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktamp/index.htm

As for myself I have only heard the super mini and it’s an outdated.version.

Sorry I can’t be any more help.
Jim

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 13
Yes, I saw the new version before. I just thought that I would have better luck if I asked about V4 and V5. That's one of the factors that is driving me crazy trying to make this decision: fixup keeps adding on so much, nobody can tell which amp is better anymore. I just want two stable amps to compare with, but I guess that's not gonna be happening anytime soon.

Apr 11, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 13
I don’t now anything regarding the PortaCordaII so I can not comment on it.

I can tell you, I have had several dealings with Xin (Fixup) who makes the Super Mini amps. He has always as been very honest and fair. I would not hesitate to do business with him again. On Monday I sent him my version 3.1 amp to be upgraded with the new active power module. Sometimes product support is a very important factor to consider.

I’m not saying the PortaCordaII isn’t a good product. I do not know anything about it. Hopefully someone else can help you with more information with your purchasing decision.

I do use my Super mini with Sennheiser HD-280pro’s.

Good Luck with your purchase
Jim

Apr 22, 2003 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 13
i have porta corda 2.. but now i'm getting a super-mini 5.18.
(i guess it will take about 2 weeks)
i'll do a comparison (probably with DT880, HD600 and portapros) and let you know what i think, K?

Apr 22, 2003 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 13
CORDA has crossfeed. past comparisons to the supermini have placed it on top in terms of sound quality (which is not surprising since it utilizes a 9-volt battery in its standard configuration, as opposed to the supermini source of 3 aaa's).

p.s. corda isn't updated weekly.

Apr 22, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 13
nales
HI: I have listen a little while burn in with the v5.18 and find the v5.18 is great even not using the booster. I am taking the v5.18 to a friends house tonight to a/b it with and with out the booster to get another opinion. This will be about 28 hours burn in.The super mini amp is getting better and better with each upgrade.

Apr 22, 2003 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 13
I think the question Snurflax was getting at is which amplifier SOUNDS BETTER.

Quote:

In conclusion, I want to know which sounds better and why.

yup.

So perhaps we should take the accusatory remarks about products that we have not made an sonic comparison with out of his thread. Positive comments are fine and appreciated I'm sure (ie: Lou and Jim's posts), but negative comments that don't really address the question at hand really aren't necessary IMO. Personally I'm excited to hear AdamZuf's actual sonic comparison between the two amps.

-dd3mon

Apr 22, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Thank you all. I finally got through to those who could actually help me before my thread disappeared. Yes, I too cannot wait for AdamZuf's comparison.
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 13
in fact, i am waiting for the v6 instead.

May 25, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 13
ok, i got the supermini v6 5 minutes ago
smily_headphones1.gif

it's the analog version with a booster.
i don't have my phones here at work, unfortunatly..
i'll post the comparison with the porta corda 2 within a week or so, after i'll let the mini burn-in a bit and get my corda back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back