Super high efficiency drivers for DIY helmet speaker setup?
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CZ Eddie

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT: GO TO POST #15 FOR MY RESOLUTION:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sup...iy-helmet-speaker-setup.698772/#post-17097376

----------------------------------

I ride a full-fairing sport bike and do a lot of touring on it. None of the existing "motorcycle helmet speakers" out there impress me.
My max dimensions are: 57mm diameter by 19mm depth. What is the best speaker pair I can buy with super-high-efficiency and comes in at less than $40?
What speaker drivers would you recommend?

The best I've come up so far (as far as "musical" drivers go) is 78db. I'd really like to get into the high 90's or early 100's if at all possible.
http://www.parts-express.com/visaton-bf32-8-ohm-13-full-range-speaker-8-ohm--292-610

I'm a DIY kind of guy and am building my own Bluetooth Helmet Headset setup. Since I cannot use an amplifier inline (kills any voice transmission), I need to make sure the speakers are VERY EFFICIENT. Also, because the speakers will not rest "on" or "around" my ear, but rather about 1/4" away from my ear. Tucked into the ear opening between the helmet's interior padding.

Also, are there any recommendations on how to design a tiny enclosure for the speakers to enhance the bass efficiency?
Maybe even toss a tiny flare on the front? Like "horn speaker" style for a few more db? :D

Remember, the distance of the speaker from my ear plus the road noise, means I won't hear as much as you do sitting at home on the couch listening to your headphones.
And yeah, I'm not looking forward to the hearing loss that would come from extended listening sessions at these db's.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 15
Btw, I should mention that I have a pair of JVC HARX300 headphones that my dog chewed up.
So I've removed the 1.5" measured drivers from that and will use them if nobody has anything better to suggest?

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks.  
To give you an idea of what retail helmet speakers are like, this is what I would buy if I felt like going OEM:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I6HOQA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=KVSN66BL26BY&coliid=I2Q9XL7KJDUZ0V

The TORK XPRO helmet speakers are the best sounding high volume, thin bodied speakers on the market. Designed specifically for in-helmet use and provides hi-fi sound quality. The XPRO's are full stereo speakers which plug into any personal AM/FM radio, CD player, MP3, iPOD and iPhone. The speakers are thin and comfortable when mounted inside your helmet. The back of each speaker has hook and loop fasteners that keep it securely in place in most helmet liners. Take them for a ride, you won't be dissapointed! These speakers include a volume control and have a 1 year warranty. Specifications: Speaker Enclosure: Dimensions: 2.25" diameter X .38" thick Actual Speaker Size: Dimensions: 1.4" diameter X .31" thick Impedance: 32 ohm Max Power: 500 mw 3.5mm connector plug Connector Cable: Stereo music cable: 3.5mm(1/8") plug to 3.5mm(1/8") jack with inline volume control

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 15
And just so you understand, I want max efficiency (high SPL/watt) so I can get as clean sound as possible at normal volumes inside the helmet (relatively speaking).  And because I won't be able to use an in-line headphone amplifier.  I'm stuck with a low power Bluetooth adapter.  

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Very interested in what you end up going with. I am currently using the X1 Slim from Chatterbox, but the quality is pretty bad so would be interesting to see some alternatives.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 15
This noobie is using the Tork xPro speakers in my fullface helmet. Because the speakers are velcro'd to the helmet, they're off my ears (so traffic noise is not blocked out) but the volume is now too low at highway speed. so i connected a fiios mini amp, also using a Monster cable iSoniTalk inline mic (after ring, i pull over and answer phone, no need to park, take helmet and gloves off to answer phone). The Tork xPro speakers worked well for a while but now distorted bass at higher volumes, I guess the speakers are somewhat blown. I initially used a fiios ikbt19 (stuck power button), then a ikbt11 (a  manufacturer replacement), now maybe a ikbt12. Too much power for the Tork xPro speakers?
Does anyone know of quality speakers that can fit in a helmet and handle such a mini-amp without getting blown?

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 15
  This noobie is using the Tork xPro speakers in my fullface helmet. Because the speakers are velcro'd to the helmet, they're off my ears (so traffic noise is not blocked out) but the volume is now too low at highway speed. so i connected a fiios mini amp, also using a Monster cable iSoniTalk inline mic (after ring, i pull over and answer phone, no need to park, take helmet and gloves off to answer phone). The Tork xPro speakers worked well for a while but now distorted bass at higher volumes, I guess the speakers are somewhat blown. I initially used a fiios ikbt19 (stuck power button), then a ikbt11 (a  manufacturer replacement), now maybe a ikbt12. Too much power for the Tork xPro speakers?
Does anyone know of quality speakers that can fit in a helmet and handle such a mini-amp without getting blown?

I've tried the Koss PortaPro and SportaPro with both a Fiio E6 and Fireye Mini amps and raising the gain on my Bluetooth phone and just can't get what I consider acceptable volume levels at speed on my Motorcycle.
Snug the ear pieces up against my ears and my eardrums get blown off.  But once you get them 1/4" to 1/2" away from your ear, you lose all definition.

I have not used the Koss long enough to know if they will blow after awhile of full volume.

Jun 19, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 15
8 years old thread.

Anyone else attempt to make this build?

I have tried 40mm and 50mm china drivers and they deliver much better sound then original speakers of todays headsets.

Even i 3D printed holders for shoei nxr helmet and 40mm speakers.

Now i am looking to improve design with more bass as the 40mm is very weak in that area compared to 50mm.

/GF

Jun 19, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #12 of 15
Why not try the Soundmagic e80c ear buds? I had them and they're low profile enough to wear under a helmet, and the C version has Android phone controls. They sound good, and $40 on eBay and your set.

Jun 19, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #13 of 15
Why not try the Soundmagic e80c ear buds? I had them and they're low profile enough to wear under a helmet, and the C version has Android phone controls. They sound good, and $40 on eBay and your set.
There is a bluetooth headset attached to the helmet, and the speakers are wired straight into that. I want to be able to just take the helmet on/off fast and easy for stops and so on. With earbuds that is not very convenient. However the sound quality is superior with earbuds, and they also remove alot of the wind noise.

//GF

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 15
8 years old thread.

Anyone else attempt to make this build?

Sorry, I never got around to updating this thread.
I've been using a solution for the last year that's working terrific for me.

I pulled the 106 dB/32 ohm diaphragms from my Yamaha Pro 500 that had a broken headset.
I think they're 50mm?

I soldered the diaphragms to the open-ends of this 2.5mm 90 degree pigtail.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353301927685
1660526321558.png

And I plug the 2.5mm pigtail into my Qudelix-5K Bluetooth amp.
It puts out TONS of power via the 2.5mm jack.
Way more than it does via the 3.5mm jack.

I wear ear plugs to cut down on wind noise.
And even with the plugs in, the music is TOO LOUD at full volume.
So, do this DIY mod at your own risk.
You CAN and WILL damage your ears if you're careless.
1660526230373.png

I mounted the speakers in my Bell helmet.
These particular diaphragms won't fit in a Shoei RF1400 btw, too large. 40mm might be the max for a Shoei?
They're a perfect fit in my Bell Race Star, though.
1660526388330.png

And I use Android Media Control Volume app to automatically adjust volume based on how fast I'm going.
So, at idle I can just barely hear the music.
At 15MPH the music gets louder.
At 25MPH the music gets louder
And so on, so forth.... my last adjustment is at 85MPH.
It uses GPS to tell how fast you're going.

I freaking LOVE this app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...siccontrollerServiceVerEngFree&hl=en_US&gl=US
1660526670232.png

This is what the helmet looks like with the DAC attached.
One cable goes to the speaker diaphragms and the other goes to a USB-C microphone
that I mounted in the front/inside of the helmet so I can issue Google Voice commands.

I hope this helps someone.
And, I hope Qudelix makes a water-resistant DAC someday that foregoes the 3.5mm jack and makes the shell slimmer.
And puts a more intuitive on/off button on the thing.
The tiny buttons are a PITA when wearing gloves but thankfully, I rarely have to touch them.
1660526983242.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back