Super Good Computer Setup - Help me please
Jan 24, 2005 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BaboonGuy

100+ Head-Fier
My goal: great sounding computer setup, buying all the parts minus computer right now. I need to make sure that in this list I will have everything I need to plug everything in and listen to the speakers plugged into my computer.

Okay I have done some research and here's what I've come up with. Amy I missing anything? Please try to answer the copious amounts of questions and please comment on everything--even the merchants I am buying from. Thank you, I highly appreciate it.

Soundcard: 1 EMU 404
This will be only used for optical digital out. I didn't want to deal with the flashing business with the AV-710. The 404 is bit-perfect yes? I run Windows XP Pro, so I will have to run FOOBAR with kernal streaming? Is the 404 fully capable of this or should I go with the 1212?

Optical Cable: 1 Glass Toslink Digital Optical Cable 3 meters long\
The length wont degrade sound quality will it? I am going to run this from the SPDIF output on the 404 into the Benchmark DAC1, so I only need 1 cable right?

DAC: 1 Benchmark DAC1
I searched posts and apparently this is the favored DAC around here, so I am going for it.

Speakers: 2 Event Studio Precision 8 Active
I really like the looks and they are highly reviewed, thus they are my choice.

Power Conditioner: 1 Monster PC1000
For the cables I will use whatever comes with what I buy until the Quail group buy I am in goes through.

Speaker Cable: 2 Mogami Gold AES 6 feet long

Is this what I want to use? I am not sure if it will work, can someone check for me. I figure 2, one for each speaker.

Speaker Stand: 1 pair of Bello SP-200 36 inches high
I measured 36 inches high when I was sitting high and it comes right up to my shoulder. So with the ASP8's sitting on them, it will be right by my ear, that is the best solution right?

OLD POST
I want a really nice setup, hopefully for under $2500. Purpose: music, I just want my music to sound great and be very enjoyable.

I am not a big bass fan, in fact lots of bass hurts my ears real bad.

I am thinking, Event Studio Precision 8 active studio monitors... will these plug directly into my soundcard on my computer? If not, what do I need to do?

Speaking of soundcard I will also need a new one I figure (onboard Soundstorm right now).

Also, do I need to get speaker stands? If so, what are the best?

Here is a pic of my current set-up.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/BaboonG...elishadual.jpg

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 20
I don't know about speakers & speaker stands but you'll definately need to replace that onboard sound. I reccomend, if your budget will allow, that you get the Benchmark DAC1 or Bel Canto DAC2 to use as your source. These are external DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) are extremely high quality and people who own them say they are worth every penny. Since these require either coaxial or optical SPDIF connections, you'll need to get a soundcard with an optical or coaxial SPDIF output. Optical is preferred with computers because it isolates the DAC from the computer's noisy power. I reccomend the Chaintech AV-710 as an inexpensive ($25) card for use with these DACs. You could use any card you like, however most don't provide output that is "bit-perfect," or is exactly the original signal. SoundStorm and all Creative cards (the SoundBlaster & Audigy series) are not bit-perfect.

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 20
A bit over your budget, ~$3500
Dynaudio BM6A - Active Monitor ~$1500
Transcendent GG preamp ~$750(or DIY$500)
Lavry Blue DAC ~$1300
EMU 1212M - Digital out only ~$200

or ~$2600
Dynaudio BM6A
Apogee Mini-DAC with USB card

or ~$2200
Dynaudio BM6A
Lynx L22 soundcard ~$700

or you can use Dynaudio BM5A(~$1000) instead of 6A.

Or if you got space for floorstanding speakers.
Magnepan MMG
CSS Sub
JVC F10 Digital Receiver
Lynx L22

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 20
There's not really much sense in getting an expensive sound card if all you're going to use is optical/coax. As long as it is bit-perfect, I don't think a more expensive sound card yields significantly better digital quality.

Jan 24, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 20
What is this budget for? Speakers, headphones, amps, source, actual computer???

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 20
$1000 - bookshelf speakers (paradigm, athena, and infinity are a few good brands; their goodness is relative to the listener)
$1000 - benchmark DAC1
$40 - Sonic Impact T-Amp
$100 - EMU 0404 soundcard
$50 - astron power supply 13.8VDC, 3A

TOTAL: 2190

Most people would be satisfied with this setup. You probably don't want to go much over this because after this point, prices go insanely high for minimal gain. Also, I'll just add that I don't see the use of a preamp in a computer setup considering the soundcard already does what a preamp does.

Jan 24, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
What is this budget for? Speakers, headphones, amps, source, actual computer???

Already have a computer. I have headphones too (Ety's ER4P, Beyerdynamic DT440s - my fave).

Everything else I can spend a lot on... but it seems to me that around $2500 would be a good price. I am not looking for the best setup, but a great setup.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 20
nice monitor setup...and wallpaper
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
They use excellent parts.

But I believe the xovers were deemed to be problematic on madisound. With that big a budget, it's important for you to go audition. If you're in the US, any pro-audio store like guitar center will have the big boys there for you to listen to. If you get really efficient speakers, you can save money by getting either a sonic impact amp or a teac 30w amp. Not easy to get good efficient speakers with that small a budget though. Consider chinese amps direct from China without warranty like Jungson, Classic, Korsun, and the like. Tube, as well, if you can deal with the hassle of tubes. You'll pay a big premium to buy these amps stateside with warranty but maybe it's worth it to you for that security.

There's also the option of diy speakers.

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
But I believe the xovers were deemed to be problematic on madisound. With that big a budget, it's important for you to go audition. If you're in the US, any pro-audio store like guitar center will have the big boys there for you to listen to. If you get really efficient speakers, you can save money by getting either a sonic impact amp or a teac 30w amp. Not easy to get good efficient speakers with that small a budget though. Consider chinese amps direct from China without warranty like Jungson, Classic, Korsun, and the like. Tube, as well, if you can deal with the hassle of tubes. You'll pay a big premium to buy these amps stateside with warranty but maybe it's worth it to you for that security.

There's also the option of diy speakers.

You'd buy such an expensive system that has no tweeters? I'd hope for such a price, they could include some.

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 20
You won't regret getting the 0404 or the DAC1, both are fantastic pieces of kit.

The 0404 is indeed bit perfect and the preferred method of use is with ASIO instead of Kernel Streaming (though the card supports both).

You're correct on the toslink cable, you only need one, and length shouldn't be an issue.

I tend to stay away from Monster's products in general, but unless you have some extremely dirty power in your house, I doubt it'll be a problem.

As for the rest, I don't have any personal experience to draw upon.

Looks like all that's left is to pick an amp for the speakers.

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
You won't regret getting the 0404 or the DAC1, both are fantastic pieces of kit.

The 0404 is indeed bit perfect and the preferred method of use is with ASIO instead of Kernel Streaming (though the card supports both).

You're correct on the toslink cable, you only need one, and length shouldn't be an issue.

I tend to stay away from Monster's products in general, but unless you have some extremely dirty power in your house, I doubt it'll be a problem.

As for the rest, I don't have any personal experience to draw upon.

Looks like all that's left is to pick an amp for the speakers.

Don't need an amp since they are active monitors right?

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboonGuy
Don't need an amp since they are active monitors right?

You've got me there. My speaker knowledge is limited at best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back