Super.fi Pro 5 Nightmare!!!
May 5, 2007 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

needanamp

100+ Head-Fier
this is a real test of someones composure....

So, having waited over 2 years to buy some of these, i finally got some brand new in box from a headfier in America. I live in the UK. the 5 days it took to deliver where the most painful days of my life. This morning, the doorbell went a 8am. I rushed down and got the box, containing the headphones. Half asleep, i was trembling. It was better than the 'best birthday ever'.
After 5 minutes of getting them out the protective outer box, i finally had the super.fi pro 5 box in my hand. I cannot explain the exitement, but believe it was massive. Here come the big, fat massive pear shaped part of the procedure. How does one open the box? The sides where glued with wahat felt like industrial glue, not tape or anything. After 30minutes of pulling and prizing i gave up. A little angry, i felt as though the headfier had given me a dud box or something. That was the only way to explain it. Scissors! Great idea! or so i thought.

After 10 more minutes of intense cutting around the VERY outsides of the box i was in! Hallejulla! I was teared the phones out of the box in amazement, and puit them to my ears. Whoa, weird fit i thought. I looked down, to see 2 pieces of cable on the floor, the copper insides just peeping out at me.

It finally dawned on me, i had cut through them. WOrds cannot describe the pain i was in at this point. Lets just say my eyes where watering and the walls got a beating. i then went to bed and sulked. Sulked hard and long.
I have just got up now, and i have decided theres no point sulking. I am gonna do something about this tragedy. Where did i tunr? you got it, Head-fi!

So, on to the questions:

These are the old Super.fi Pro 5 model. They are white with grey cable. Can i buy a new, thicker wire for them? If not, do super.fi still stock old replacement cables?

How do you get the driver off the wire?

Does anyone in the uk have a spare one that i could buy today, so it comes on monday?

Does anyone in the uk know where i can get one from in the uk, be it high street or internet site?

Given that the cable totally split, do you think sellotaping together might work? I will try that and get back to you. Do yuo know any omre complicated diy proceduce to get the two copper bits reattached? could i take it into the local electrician shop for them to fix?

DOes anyone know how to open the super.fi pro 5 box safely and properly? Was it me being extremely stupid, or did i do the right thing with the scissors?

Yours sincerely, a heartbroken headfier

May 5, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 18
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

They ship worldwide. I suggest not getting the clear one which is too stiff. The other colors are fine. They come off where the two left and right indicators meet. You'll have to wait longer than till Monday though, unless someone near you can help you out.

May 5, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 18
hmph. i cut t in two paces. one was the main wire before the y-junction. i also cut the wire to the left phone from the y-juncntion. I thought the acutal driver could come off the wire. how do i do this on my old super.fi 5's?
i says nothing about this in the manual.

May 5, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 18
Hi,

Well,.. I am really sorry to hear your story. I love my 5 pro but now I am considering the idea of buying a replacement cable. Basically I heard that the cable for 5 pro might not work well in cold temp. Since you are in GB that can be a hassle for you. I don't know since I am in SE Asia now. Anyways... check out this link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=237405

You might be better off buying a Custom cable form Westone since I think it's easier to get them where you are. You can check it out. suppose to work... Some one says that it is suppose to improve the mid a bit... which can be a good thing on 5 pro. Good luck and do report back on your final decision.

Charlie

May 5, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o. istudied the picture. they do go right to the drivers so my issue is not a problem.

I still want to know how to take the drives off the wire though...

Just Pull! There is a small square plastic piece that plugs into the driver just pull it off and voila! I would bet if you called UE they would send you a new cable for free! With a story like that!

Sorry to here you had trouble!

May 5, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 18
Yeah, the connector can be quite tight but if you wiggle them back and forth and pull they will come off.

May 5, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 18
I hate blister-packs too my friend.

You need the freikin' jaws of life to get them open.

Just buy a replacement cable from headroom

May 5, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 18
thanks guys. i just emailed UE to tell them my problem, and ask if they have it in the kindness of their hearts to give me one for free. Naturally, i dont expect that, and i told them i dont expect it, but i thought it might be worth a try; after all, i heard they are generally very nice people the at UE. We shall see

May 5, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 18
I just PM'ed you - one unwanted series 2 white cable is ready to be posted to you asap
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 18
whoa thanks leqin thats great! thankyou so much.

my dad is now concerned about you; he doesnt think anyone these days would be so kind without wanting something in return...

lol

May 5, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whoa thanks leqin thats great! thankyou so much.

my dad is now concerned about you; he doesnt think anyone these days would be so kind without wanting something in return...

lol

hee hee LOL
icon10.gif

tell your dad that I'll send him the bill with the cable.

May 5, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 18
I only have one thing to say...

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back