Super.fi 5VI is not for me. Need a replacement for around $250
Apr 2, 2010 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Shoey Peachew

New Head-Fier
eeeh, don't know where to start, but I'm a newbie to iem's. The only other pair I own are the Senn. CX300 and I don't like them very much and never listen to them.

I bought the Super.fi 5vi to pair with my iPhone 3G and after receiving them I find them lacking in the enjoyment department. Before this setup, I've been listening to the Koss KSC-75 paired with a Sansa Clip for a long time. I find the KSC-75 and Clip to sound fun and punchy, even exciting. However, when I pair the Super.fi 5 with the Clip, it sounds like the excitement has been taken away and there's nothing fun or punchy about them and they hiss. They are, however, interesting to listen to. I noticed with the SF5, the bass is not punchy like the KSC-75, but it's there. Also, the sound stage and seperation of instruments are nice. However, I'm not looking to analyze my music with logic, but to simply listen and enjoy my music.

Anyway, I feel the dire need to return them, but I still need a pair of IEM's and I was wondering which one's might work for me. I generally listen to Classic Rock, but I enjoy all genre's of music. I guess what I'm looking for is something that is better than the KSC-75, but also fun and punchy as the KSC-75, but with an awesome sound stage. My budget is $250 max.

Edit: Ok, I forgot to mention, they need to have an in-line control and work with the iPhone.

Edit: Oh well, I've been searching, but the only other high end IEM's with a mic and in-line ctrl are the Image X10 and Triple.fi 10vi. The X10's are too much and I don't want to make the same mistake going with UE's again. I guess with so many limited options I'm probably going to grudgingly keep the SF5 so as not to disturb my fellow bus riding passengers. Unless, someone has a better option.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 16
Fun and punchy? A pair of IE8 maybe
regular_smile .gif

To my ears, TF10 has more bass compared to SF5vi2. But people keep complaining about their ergonomics and fit, so you better try them before buying. As for X10, I have yet to try them, they seems to be very comfortable and has plenty amount of quality bass, as reported by many here.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 16
Thx everyone for responding. I listened to the SF5's for a few hours today walking around outside enjoying the sunshine. I was hoping they would grow on me, but I still find them boring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fun and punchy? A pair of IE8 maybe
regular_smile .gif

...As for X10, I have yet to try them, they seems to be very comfortable and has plenty amount of quality bass, as reported by many here.

I guess what I mean is, I like the SF5's bass, it's seems well displayed in my music's overall composition, but it lacks impact. Now, the IE8's seem to be a step in the right direction after reading some info on them and I would like to try them out, but do they have iPhone compatibility? The X10 are a possibility if I can get a good deal on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Return them.
2. Buy Meelec M9p or M11p.

Going down in price does not always have to be a downgrade.

Yup, looks like these SF5's are heading back to Buy.com and I will definately check the Meelec's out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duo peach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think tf10 is a good choice! i have a second-hand tf10,it sounds really really incredible!
but tf10 is not good to anybody,because of its lack in fit and ergonomics.

I'm not sure I want to go with these as I'm not a fan of the SF5. If I could get them for $100, maybe I'll try them out.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 16
Buy a headphone remote/mic adaptor - Audio Technica makes a good one with a short cord- and then you can use any earphone of your choice and still keep the hardware controls for your iPhone. That's the solution I used for a while with my RE0.

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 16
UE TF10Vi has great bass impact, overall shows good details and huge soundstage. These IEMs are without in-line control but sound close match like Sony MDR-EX700LP, IE7, IE8, MTP Gold and FX700.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE TF10Vi has great bass impact, overall shows good details and huge soundstage. These IEMs are without in-line control but sound close match like Sony MDR-EX700LP, IE7, IE8, MTP Gold and FX700.

I agree. Oh amd Duo peach please do not join this board and throw your opinions around here like they are facts.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 16
ok, I ended up picking up a pair of MEElectronics M11p for $29.90 from www.meelec.com with a 50% off coupon code "M11_51_OFF". If this turn out to sound ok, I'm going to return the SF5 and wait for companies to release more high end iPhone capable IEMs.

thx for the help everyone

Actually, I canceled my order for the m11 and got the m9p instead.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 16
I just wanted to say, due to my new experience or inexperience with IEM's it appears I wasn't getting the greatest seal with my Super.fi 5vi as I thought. I should have done more testing with the tips that came with the headphones.

At first, I was using the Comply t400 foam tips I picked up from Radio Shack as I read on these forums people have good luck with them. However, these tips only lasted a week of daily use before they became really soft and split apart on me. Maybe I have weird ear wax or something. Anyway, I tried the small silicon tips that came with the headphones as a replacement to the Complies and they seal much better. I still want to upgrade, but it does sound much, much better.

Just an fyi

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoey Peachew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to say, due to my new experience or inexperience with IEM's it appears I wasn't getting the greatest seal with my Super.fi 5vi as I thought. I should have done more testing with the tips that came with the headphones.

At first, I was using the Comply t400 foam tips I picked up from Radio Shack as I read on these forums people have good luck with them. However, these tips only lasted a week of daily use before they became really soft and split apart on me. Maybe I have weird ear wax or something. Anyway, I tried the small silicon tips that came with the headphones as a replacement to the Complies and they seal much better. I still want to upgrade, but it does sound much, much better.

Just an fyi

Proper seal is very important for balanced armature phones. And it's kind of hard and tricky to get a proper seal with sf5/tf10. But once you achieve that, they're quite nice.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by devast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Proper seal is very important for balanced armature phones. And it's kind of hard and tricky to get a proper seal with sf5/tf10. But once you achieve that, they're quite nice.

It does sound a lot better. The small silicon tips were like an awakening when I first tried them. It adds sparkle and more kick and adds detail to the bass. I almost felt like I got my money's worth, but I guess I pay a premium with the in-line mic and iPhone controls. For $100 it's a good set of headphones.

I have to say, I use the small silicon tips, because it penetrate further into my ear canal. The medium silicon tips have a good seal, but I can't insert them as far in. The Comply foam tips that come with the headphones and the one's from Radio Shack insert deep into my ear canals, but they don't seal or isolate as well as the small silicon tips. Of course, the silicon tips aren't as comfortable as the foamies, but I can deal with that.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoey Peachew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, the silicon tips aren't as comfortable as the foamies, but I can deal with that.

The stock silicon tips can isolate ok, but they are very uncomfortable(basically, trash). Many people seem to like the sony hybrid tips, i'm still waiting for mine to arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by devast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock silicon tips can isolate ok, but they are very uncomfortable(basically, trash). Many people seem to like the sony hybrid tips, i'm still waiting for mine to arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, they did hurt a little bit, but they feel nice and tight and block outside noise better than the foam tips. I'll check out the Sony hybrids if the silicon tips still hurt my ears. Thx for the... tip [size=xx-small]harharhar[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back