Super Fi 5's broken
Aug 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Chris Uk

Head-Fier
Hey, my headphones recently broke on holiday, the sound had cut out on one ear then later the actual casing of the IEM snapped rendering them useless. Should I be entitled to new ones from the place I bought them? Or should I speak directly to UE ?

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by channum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Retailers are not guarantors for merchandise they sell.

Depends where you bought them too. If in the UK then then retailer is the correct channel to go to.

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by paseawright /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends where you bought them too. If in the UK then then retailer is the correct channel to go to.

While in general, this is true, from what I've read on this forum, for UE products they don't (see steviebee's and others experiences).

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 13
Good luck. My superfi 5pros did the same thing. If you are within the warranty period call UE and they will replace them. My pair were 3 months beyond the warranty. They would not offer to fix, refer me to a place to fix, or replace them. The best that they could do was offer me a new pair at the family discount price of $150. Which side did you break? Maybe we could work out a combo deal between the two?

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by channum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While in general, this is true, from what I've read on this forum, for UE products they don't (see steviebee's and others experiences).

Yup. When I broke my TripleFi (well within warranty), my retailer advised me they could only go ahead with a replacement if UE authorised it, & I'd need to contact UE. I did, got an RMA, & they dealt with it with no further involvement w/ the retailer. I guess I could have asked UE to then contact my retailer, but didn't seem to be much point. Shipping to the US was pretty cheap, + free shipping back....

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. When I broke my TripleFi (well within warranty), my retailer advised me they could only go ahead with a replacement if UE authorised it, & I'd need to contact UE. I did, got an RMA, & they dealt with it with no further involvement w/ the retailer. I guess I could have asked UE to then contact my retailer, but didn't seem to be much point. Shipping to the US was pretty cheap, + free shipping back....

If that retailer was in the UK then they were wrong. Legally it is the retailer that is responsible. I suppose if you want to relieve the retailer of that legal responsibility then you could. If it was me and a choice between bringing back to a UK retailer or sending all the way back to the manufacturer in the States - I know which I would go for
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 13
And I guess I did. That's why I posted I could've got UE to contact the retailer direct to authorise, but I'm unsure whether UE would authorise without seeing the actual unit etc. Could conceivably have taken ages: ship to retailer>wait for retailer to ship to UE>retailer waits for UE response>retailer checks stock> finally ships replacement to me.

I chose the direct route...

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I guess I did. That's why I posted I could've got UE to contact the retailer direct to authorise, but I'm unsure whether UE would authorise without seeing the actual unit etc. Could conceivably have taken ages: ship to retailer>wait for retailer to ship to UE>retailer waits for UE response>retailer checks stock> finally ships replacement to me.

I chose the direct route...

No need to wait for all that - the law (Sale of Goods Act) says they have to provide a repair or replacement in a reasonable time. I have forgotten exactly what "they" deem reasonable, but was something like 2 weeks or 10 days from memory.

Anyway, given the OP is probably outside the UK we are probably drifting off topic (edit: although looking at his username maybe not so off topic). But might be of use to some in the future. Useful to know your rights, especially as a lot of retailers will try to fob you off.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 13
Agreed. Good points, paseawright.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #11 of 13
so is this an indication that UE has poor build quality? my Shure e2c is built like a tank. my ear probably shatter before the IEMs fall apart.

so Chris whats the story? do update us. i was planning to buy the Super.Fi 5...

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Ya don't say...

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 13
Most of the major retailers in UK will deal with the warranty directly. A few like iheadphones will only cover you for the first year directly, then you have to get in touch with UE. I'd imagine you'd have to send the earphones to them, my cable broke on me a while back but they just sent out a new one free.

Best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back