Super-fi 5Pros arrived today...
Mar 3, 2006 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wirbeltier

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys!
Finally my new SF 5Pros arrived today and here are my first impressions:

They are delivered with the medium single flange ear tips on, so I listened to them first. My thoughts: HUGE bass, nice highs but a little dominated by the lows. Isolation was very good, and they fitted immediately. After rummaging through my AAC-collection I finally picked Molokos 'The time is now' and Radioheads 'There There' as references. There is a soundstage!!! That was a very pleasant surprise... all instruments were detailled and clear. Next, I tried the small single flange tips. The bass was still very good but not as dominating as with the medium sized flange tips, the sound is now more towards the highs, but still enough bass and better details. The bi-flange tips didn't work at all for me. They are a bit longer than the single ones so the drivers have a longer distance to the ear drum. Little bass, shrill highs, I took them out immediately. The foamies delivered the second best isolation and also a very strong bass with a better control compared to the medium-size flange tips. Good separation of the instruments, better highs, but not as comfortable as the small ones. My strong feeling after the first hours of listening: try everything out! The super-fis are very sensitive and the bass can be too strong or even too weak (!) if you use the wrong ear tips. For me, the small silicone single flange tips and the foamies work best now, but all depends on the size of your ear canals, so thats just for me... Try for yourself, take the time!

Compared to the Etys 6i the overall comfort is much much better, IMO. They don't insert so deep into the ear canal, so you will feel good immediately. Plus, it's easier to take out/insert if you wear them outdoors. As it is common wisdom, the sf pro5s are fun-phones... Thats right! There is plenty of bass for those bass-heads around (which I'm not in particular), but if you like rock or electronic you need some of it
biggrin.gif
You can fit it to your taste by trying out the different tips. Having found the right ones, the highs become very clear and accurate and the bass is controlled and not flabby at all.

Build-quality is pretty good, the cables are far less flimsy than the etys but not as sturdy as the shures. I like them very much and I will keep them on for now...
etysmile.gif
And the second best part: the price. I ordered from earphonesolutions and waited quite a while. After some time I started to look after it and found out that they were out of stock, and that it will take a little longer till delivery (I ordered on February 11). Flavio from earphonesolutions made a solution possible that made me a happy customer.

My verdict for now: Tight and accurate sound with the right tips, good and controlled bass that reaches right down, great comfort because you don't have to insert them too deep, surprisingly good soundstage for iem's...Thats pretty much for the price of now around USD160.

Hope that was not too fan-boyish, but they're new
biggrin.gif
Klaus

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Got them yesterday.

My impressions:

Over all I like them and I believe they will replace my ER4Ps.

Trade offs have been posted before.

They are not as detailed as the Etys, but I'm ok with this for mobile use.

SF5P Bass is great but it creeps up in some places where it does not belong, specifically male vocals, I think this is why some call them muddy. I don't know if this is technically a good analogy, but it's like when the crossover frequency is to high on a subwoofer.

I thought I would hate the over ear wire when I first put them on. After only 1 day of use I have already changed my mind. I've already gotten used to it. The wire stays out of the way and no clip support is needed like the Ety's. They do take a bit longer to insert though.

Soundstage is now out of the geographical center of my head.

They are not as thin sounding, or tin like, as the Etys overall.

That's what I got so far,
Sam

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
SF5P Bass is great but it creeps up in some places where it does not belong, specifically male vocals, I think this is why some call them muddy. I don't know if this is technically a good analogy, but it's like when the crossover frequency is to high on a subwoofer.

I noticed this too and think its a good analogy. I had the same thoughts but this changed with changing the tips. The bass gets more controlled and will stay in his place. The better the isolation, the stronger the bass becomes...

Edit: Great signature Sam!

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm rocking to some Ahmad Jamal (Jazz Piano) right now. Exceptionally well recorded material, and its never sounded better!

Happily, some of my older, lower quality stuff (ie: most of my Coltrane, dammit...) sounds much better. Its still not great, but its good enough. Then again, Coltrane is good over two tin cans and string....

Really diggin my SF5P's at the moment !
eggosmile.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirbeltier
The bi-flange tips didn't work at all for me. They are a bit longer than the single ones so the drivers have a longer distance to the ear drum. Little bass, shrill highs, I took them out immediately.

To use the bi-flange tips you probably need to pull your ear up and outwards so as to open up your ear canals. I need to do this everytime and while its annoying as hell, in return I get the best possible midrange and sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back