Super.fi 5Pro vs UE-10
Jan 2, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundsound
Root or JohnRich (or anyone else for that matter) thoughts if you don't mind on the T2i. I have the ER 4P (in for repair at the moment) that I use with custom moulds. I also have a SM V1 amp which is great. As they are in for repair and I live in the UK and am without the etys for some time I began to wonder about getting a second pair of IEM's.

I am thinking about the UE 5Pro but am concerned that they may be too much of a contrast with the ety's. Then, as you do, my mind began to wonder what the UE 10 would be like - then I read this thread and have become curious about the T2i that is mentioned above. I've tried doing searches in various places for reviews but so far have found only 1. I have the info regarding ACS website but your thoughts on the sound, how they compare (in your view) to the other IEM's I am considering and any background to them would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi aroundsound,

If only I get the time and the right mood to make a comparison: T2PRO/T2i I will create another thread for that. I would also like to make a deep, detailed and thorough comparison of these (with some elements of UE-10 Pro) instead of scattering my thoughts around threads considering different subjects. I'm sorry, but you will have to wait some time.
However, if you really want to take the plunge right away, you can't go wrong with Sensaphonics (either T2i or T2PRO). Highly recommend these.

Happy New Year.

Jan 2, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Root or JohnRich (or anyone else for that matter) thoughts if you don't mind on the T2i. I have the ER 4P (in for repair at the moment) that I use with custom moulds. I also have a SM V1 amp which is great. As they are in for repair and I live in the UK and am without the etys for some time I began to wonder about getting a second pair of IEM's.

I am thinking about the UE 5Pro but am concerned that they may be too much of a contrast with the ety's. Then, as you do, my mind began to wonder what the UE 10 would be like - then I read this thread and have become curious about the T2i that is mentioned above. I've tried doing searches in various places for reviews but so far have found only 1. I have the info regarding ACS website but your thoughts on the sound, how they compare (in your view) to the other IEM's I am considering and any background to them would be much appreciated. Thanks.

According to ACS the T2i are identical sonically and in componets used to the T2XS/Sensaphonics, but with a more consumer friendly presentation. If I was buying again (and I may well be depending on repair costs for my existing T2XS) then I would go for the T2pro again, as the cost is the same and they are more stealthy in use (and I know that the sound is fantastic).

As for comparing the sound of the ACS T2? to the Etys, it is similar but the Bass is much more present on the T2 without being overpowering. Both are very detailed in the mids/highs but the Ety is slightly drier/more analytical. The T15 from ACS that I am using currently is also excellent; bigger soundstage than the Ety with more bass and about the same detail in the mids/highs.

A year or so ago, when my Ety ER4P's wires broke after 3 years of happy commuting with them I was horrified, despite having a collection of other 'noise cancelling' phones to use whilst they were repaired. Last month when the T2XS broke I just shrugged and pondered whether the ER6 or ER4 would be the better choice to use instead; the sound quality of the T2s is better, but you don't necessarily need or notice the improvement for portable use, although what sort of music you like will be a factor there.

Regarding the UE lineup, the UE10 would be a better upgrade path from the Etys, assuming you like the Ety sound as the UE5 are more bassy and less detailed.

You might find that the Ety ER6 plus custom mold adapters (which ought to fit your ER4 molds if they are anything like mine) would make a good interim IEM if you are happy with the Ety sound. They need to be amped to sound their best, but with that and custom molds they are close to the ER4 sound.

Happy head-fiing in 2006.

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #20 of 23
JohnRich - thanks for your thoughts. I will contact ACS tomorrow and see what the score is in terms of process for getting the T2pro.

If you have the time; 2 questions.

1. are the T2pros very different from the T2i in construction?

2. I'm just a bit confused about the relationship between Sensaphonic and ACS eg are they the same phones? I'm sorry if this is obvious.

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by akira281
For people considering purchasing one of these, beside the large price difference, what are the sonic differences?

Does the extreme dropoff at 16kHz on the UE-10 affect its sense of airiness and extension?

If you've actually heard a 20Hz to 20kHz frequency sweep, you'd know why the difference between 16kHz and 20kHz is very small. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. However, I do understand and agree with your point about airyness. I think IEMs generally have much less airyness to them than speakers. Therefore, it is much less important for IEM to be able to go up to high frequencies like 20kHz. Hell, the HD650 go up to 39kHz, but can you here that? Some argue that you can feel it. I say that you probably can't this isn't like bass. Although humans can't here 10Hz, you can definitely feel it, but 39kHz is definitely not audible and cannot be felt.

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

JohnRich - thanks for your thoughts. I will contact ACS tomorrow and see what the score is in terms of process for getting the T2pro.

If you have the time; 2 questions.

1. are the T2pros very different from the T2i in construction?

2. I'm just a bit confused about the relationship between Sensaphonic and ACS eg are they the same phones? I'm sorry if this is obvious.

I think Root mentioned the differences in contstruction earlier in the thread; the cable is positioned different for the T2i, so that you can take the cable over your ear or let it drop down. The T2pro cable goes over your ear like a 'professional' IEM. The cable on the T2i is longer.

Sensaphonics and ACS use the same techniques and components in producing their 2X/T2pro products and they are essentially the same. There is some history of collaboration between the two companies but I'm not sure of the details or of their current relationship. Probably best to give them a call and talk things through with ACS if you have any concerns.

The quickest approach for getting the T2pro is probably to check their list of dealers on the website and hope one is local to you. The dealers can make the required ear impressions and make the arrangements for you. I assume that you could also get ear impressions locally (from a ENT dept at a hospital or from a Hearing Aid provider) and arrange to send them off yourself.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back