Super.Fi 5Pro | Triple.Fi 10Pro Comparison
Feb 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #31 of 37
All this talk about how the Westone cable alters the sound of the Super-Fis. How about the Triple-Fis? I'm about to find out - I have a modified cable on order - probably arrive in a week.

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #32 of 37
Where did you order this modded cable from cooper?

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #33 of 37
My westone es cable arrived today for my SF5's. I had to trim a tiny bit off of the tips. Other then the fit being somewhat tight the mod worked well. The sound is so much better in all phazes. Bass is tighter/Mids are pronounced/Highs sound much more crisp. Im very happy with this cable. I will be getting one for my SF3's.

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nqstv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm back. And I can say without any hesitation that the Triples trump both the 5Pros and to my surprise the ER4Ps quite handlely. It took me a while to get a good fit but once I did, Holy Cow.

The Triples are definitely the most fun sounding, comfortable and tasteful IEM's I've used, aside from my (All hail) ER4S's.

Looks like these Triples are now my permanent portable set while my ER4S's will maintain critical listening in bed at night.

For anyone who's been following along, the Triples absolutely give you more of the best of the 5Pros. The mids and highs are perfect for me, and the bass is very tight and well defined. I really like that the Triples filled in exactly what I thought was missing with the 5Pros as well.

What will be really interesting will be comparing and contrasting the Triples with the ER4S's in the studio. I think the Triples might end up on top in that battle. If only to keep me honest when EQing and mixing the lower ranges.

Pending my upcoming job change, I might actually consider getting molds done for these. I hadn't really thought about it but I think that these will be worth it.

Thank you to everyone for your help. My wallet hates you all!!!!

Just wanted to say, in my first post here that I just got the Triples. I had the .5 super fi and had to send them in for repair. But I had just ordered the molds online where you do it yourself and send it in to the earplugstore.

Only had a day with the molds with the super fi, but they were great. It was pretty fast on the turnaround too, especially for the price. When the problem came up with my super fi I then orderd the triples.

So now I have the triples with the custom molds. Still on the break in with the triples but they are more refined and greater separation and imaging, and the earplugstore confirmed for me the custom molds would work, which they do.

Never really felt comfortable for any length with the super fi flange adaptors, but that's all over now.
cool.gif

Still on the first day "burn in" but both products are excellent in their performance. The triples are definitely audiophile quality even via my iPhone.

I will try them via a Lavry DA-10 at some point in my main system too.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you order this modded cable from cooper?

Sorry. I missed this.

I got the cable from Wilson at Jabben Network in Singpore. Good location for someone living in China. Once they were modded, they got here in about 9 days.

So yah, they just arrived today. Fast impressions: no obvious change in sound. I am quite certain that volume has stayed the same; I use the same volume in Rockbox with replay gain day after day. I think that I would notice.

But man it's a nice cable. The UE cable was too short and with the accordian effect it was really too short. it was so nice today to kick back with a cigar and have my H140 on the table with a nice slack cable inbetween. Pleasure to wear too: it just hangs there instead of stiifly bouncing around with accordian folds like my old UE cable. Packing it in the UE case is simplicity too. Just wrap it around a couple of fingers and plop it in.

One thing: even over my ears reverse mod style, microphonics are moderately increased over the UE cord. Not a biggie.

Wilson did a wonderful mod. The pins fit flush. (I'm not sure that he will be happy about my posting though: it's kind of a labour intensive low margin item me thinks.
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #36 of 37
Evening bump (morning here). Bending the small memory wire aound my ear has greatly eliminated the increased microphonics.

Westone cable on the Triple-Fi's is a nice mod. It's so much nicer to walk with. Looks cool too. I got the clear cable. Any interest in pics?

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #37 of 37
I have been satisfied with my Super.fi 5 for the past year. It took quite awhile to find them comfortable but the reverse mod, Is that what is called? I can't remember, Really help me a lot.
Now, something I noticed was the inability to go to a really low bass on certain songs.
My only players right now is the Archos 504 and Iriver H10. I was listening one day for the heck of it to my Super.fi connected to the sound card of my computer and when the song Sk8er boi by Avril Lavigne was playing there is this really deep bass at the 13 to 14 second mark that comes on that really blew me away!!! I listened to that song many times before on my portables and had never noticed it before.

But when I played it in my Archos and also on my Iriver H10, I was not able to reproduced it. I tried all the eq and bass but it only made the whole song bassy and not just that particular spot.

This extreme bass also comes on the song Got the Life by Korn at second number 38-39. Again I can detect it really deep with the sound card and wm11
on my PC but not on the portables.
Later this week I will be getting the Triple.fi in the mail.

Is there a player that I can match to my Triple.fi that will recreate that deep shock value electrical bass that some artist insert in some of their songs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back