Super.fi 5pro, Ety ER4(P?) or Shure?
Aug 17, 2008 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

parajba

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of buying a new pair of in ear headphone for my iPod.
I'm upgrading my current Sony EX51...I usually listen to quite some different music...indy rock, dance, electronica and classical...(encoding at 320kbps, usually AAC).

My budget is GBP140...and I desperately need an advise...
wink.gif

Which in ear headphone do you recommend? it seems that the ety er4 and the super.fi 5 pro are good...what about the Sure? they are more expensive than the two mentioned...I'd appreciate your comments...

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 13
search.

i think we should have a forum for recommendations or something so people can find them easier to find the differences and which iems are better for what.

since you listen to quite different music, i would recommend ER4P as they are pretty neutral and can be EQ'd for different music very well. They are a bit bass light especially with an unamped iPod, so my next pick would be SF5P. ER4Ps can be cord noisey (can alleviate with clip or around ears) and somewhat uncomfortable but have the best isolation. SF5P on the other hand are bassier and are a bit bulky with less isolation. regardless, there are a number of new IEMs out now that I would recommend over them, which you can find easily here.

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 13
Check out the reviews for the Sleek Audio SA6 as well - you can physically change the bass and treble ports on the units to give you your preferred sound.

I've tried the ER-4P and they are excellent for clarity - I find their bass fine but then I don't listen to really bassy music.

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 13
Etys are excellent for clarity and detail ... HOWEVER ... be prepared for the fact that it uses Triple flanged inserts.. Unless you plan to use foam inserts and you will need to insert them deep. I noticed you listened to electronica. Etys are not going to sound good with them in my opinion. They are more on the analytical side and may come of as being less than full bodied.

For the Shure. I have only owned the E3c.. but i think their signature is one with more emphasis on vocals and mids. On the E3c the sound is rolled off on the treble and bass but i believe this was addressed to an extent on the newer higher end models. Another issue i have with shure products is a definate lack of soundstage. Everything is focused on the center of your brain. I rather dislike that since i prefer to have the impression that the sound should be at the ear.

Super fi. 5 Pro. ?
I presently own these and recommend them. Especially for the type of music you listen to. Stay far from the EB (Extended bass version though): Way too much bass. The pros have the Treble and Bass with a slightly recessed mid. Nice detail and separation and the sound stage ... while not 100 perfect is definitely an improvement. I can sense the left right alternations that can be found in certain songs. An Example of what im talking about (yes its an old cheesy one ) is the first 5 seconds of Mariah Carey's "Sent from up above" (audio link So you have an idea as to what im talking about. If any one else knows of a more popular or appropriate example then feel free to point them out
smily_headphones1.gif
Additionally you still maintain a good bit of detail and separation (not ety detail but decent) and it is more fuller fun sounding and musical rather than clinical and analytical)

The added bonus also is the fact that if your cat decides to make a snack of your Super fi . 5 pro cable ... Have no fear. 20 bucks gives you a brand new replacement. compared to replacing the entire unit.

Honorable mention i think goes to the Jays Q Jays. I have read that they are a decent set of balanced iem's .. But im not a fan of having to replace iem filters.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 13
If you are considering the Super.fi 5pros, I would look at the new Super.fi 5s. I have the 5pros and today I just received the new 5's. So far my impression is that they are WAY more comfortable. As far as the sound, I still haven't listened enough to make a decision as far as which one is better. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that there is another option out there.

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm extremely satisfied with the isolation and quality of Etymotic ER4P. They are $169 in Amazon, but if you pay with Bill Me Later you save $20 off. Also you can convert them to ER4S later with a cable. Check my thread about it:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...lators-344101/

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 13
Not sure he wanted the best iem for sound ISOLATION ... I think hes looking for an iem to fit his musical tastes .. If he was looking for the best isolation then its the ER4 no doubt but with the fact that you have to place the flanges to far in the ear canal to get that isolation im not sure thats the best bet ... especially for people with small ear canals although he didnt state as such (personally i avoid all double and triple flanges like the plague.

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 13
the sf5p are fantastic! I've been rediscovering them since applying the comply t500 foam tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back