Super.fi 5EB WOAH!
Jan 28, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #16 of 27
Sounds great! One big complain I have with the UM2 is the lack of bass. I listen to variety of materials on X5L, from Audio books, binaural recordings, comedy performances, dance, electronics, folk (oriental),..... But no matter how I adjust the EQ, the bass seems so recessed...they felt like little beats instead of boom. I would definately pickup the 5eb when I get my unemployment check.

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Thank you, I purchased the 5 pros about two weeks ago and have been pleased, but the EB keeps calling me for an audition. My curiosity is getting the better of me.

If the EB could at least match the highs of the 5 pro then it might be worth a try.

As I said before, I do apologize for the poor articulation of my request.

Don't sweat it. From what I've read, the EBs have the same high frequency drivers as the Pros. I listened to some softer music, and while it doesn't give me the same awesome feeling as I get with bass heavy music, it's definitely still great. If the bass isn't in the track, it doesn't dominate the sound. If you want me to listen to anything particular let me know.

Jan 30, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #19 of 27
Cool
basshead.gif

I have a pair of EBs on the way as I type (just waiting on the delivery, should be tomorrow - fingers are crossed). I'll post my opinion when I get mine too
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bajaranger
Does anyone of you w/ 5 eb's ever watch movies with them? I'm interested in any feedback you can provide about the experience. Tx.

JP was freakin' sick with the EB...
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #21 of 27
I don't think the EB's are muddy. They aren't sparkling clear but not muddy.

I use them every workday while commuting, for about 2 hours. I think they are relatively balanced except for some colouration in the upper mids, but they are definitely on the bassy side. This affects some male vocals and may give the impression of a muddy sound with some music because the upper mids can sometimes seem too low in tone. I listen to a fair bit of jazz and I find the EB's quite good with jazz. The EB's are quite source sensitive, so if your music isn't well recorded or your music files aren't well encoded the EB's will show you what's bad about your source. Overall I'm quite happy with them, but would like to try some other IEM's, although I don't think I'm willing to give up the EB's great bass.

Jan 30, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #22 of 27
I just used my EBs as onstage in-ear-monitors with my band. All I can say is: AMAZING.

The wire on my Futuresonic IEMs crapped out so, I used my EBs and they really delivered the goods. I play bass guitar and I sing backing vox (and occasionally...lead vox). My in-ear mix consists of:
All vocals
my Bass
Kick Drum
keyboards and sequences
then..all guitars and acoustic guitars.

I don't send ANY effects or compression to my in ear mix. I like it dry.
The EB's were flawless as an onstage IEM.

They don't isolate as much as I'd like but, they do provide SOME hearing protection. About half of what I'm used to. If I had to come up with a complaint, it would be that they could stand to block out just a little more ambient noise.
And...I think they do look rather silly.

At the end of the day...it's all about sound quality and, onstage, these puppies delivered.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #23 of 27
Yeah, the EB's don't isolate too much, but they isolate enough for me. I use them while walking and commuting and I like to at least hear a little bit of what is happening around me, so i find the isolation perfect for their target market.

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #24 of 27
thats the one major gripe I have with the EB's... considering Im coming from using ER6's with triflanges on em (yes it's possible) it was a rather noticeable decrease in isolation. Still, I like em and they do what I want em to which is enable me to actually hear a bass line while sitting in a bus.

Also, to me it seems like the these earphones attenuate the centre channel while leaving the seperate left and right channels alone. The result is anything in the middle is a bit lower than it should be (and no Im not using any 3d sound gadgetry) while either side is more ambient.... if any of this is making sense, is there anyone else who has experienced this?

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nights_85
thats the one major gripe I have with the EB's... considering Im coming from using ER6's with triflanges on em (yes it's possible) it was a rather noticeable decrease in isolation. Still, I like em and they do what I want em to which is enable me to actually hear a bass line while sitting in a bus.

Also, to me it seems like the these earphones attenuate the centre channel while leaving the seperate left and right channels alone. The result is anything in the middle is a bit lower than it should be (and no Im not using any 3d sound gadgetry) while either side is more ambient.... if any of this is making sense, is there anyone else who has experienced this?

Perhaps this is a result of low frequencies being non-directional and therefore harder to separate into left or right channels. Then again, I'm not quite sure what you mean so that may not be it.

I own a pair of EBs and love them. They are not muddy in any frequency, and when amped (or even unamped) there is bass power I havn't heard in any other headphone. They don't isolate quite as well, which is in my mind an advantage for what I use them for (walking/commuting I don't want to be totally cut off from the world, I can hear my music clearly and without interruption but I can hear real world sounds that I may need to hear). If you don't want bass, then these arn't your 'phones, but if you do, I highly recommend them.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bajaranger
Does anyone of you w/ 5 eb's ever watch movies with them? I'm interested in any feedback you can provide about the experience. Tx.

Not sure about the EBs but I plugged my Pros into the dvd reciever and watched "Heat (1995)". The bank robbery firefight scene was mindblowing.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #27 of 27
Watched The Matrix with these just to test them out....I still think they're amazing..

That said, I still love them for everything else too..the one thing I'm noticing is that the isolation isn't the best, but depending on what you need them for that may not be a bad thing..

Last, I've had to run through NYC like a moron several times to make a train from school-nothing I do can get these to fall out, which is extremely refreshing!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tested them out with pretty much every kind of music and they shine all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back