Super.fi 5 Pro's came in last night
Feb 21, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #16 of 26
Phink, any chance you might use an amplifier between your source and the UE's in the near future? I found that my Go-Vibe really opened things up for me when used with the sf5p's. Right out of my iPod or laptop, the sf5p's were good, but there was a definitive positive difference when used with my amp. Just something to consider. I found the bass was much deeper and the clarity seemed to improve.
etysmile.gif
I think that had I gone with the EB's, the bass would have been overwhelming when used with an amp. My $0.02.

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328
Phink, any chance you might use an amplifier between your source and the UE's in the near future? I found that my Go-Vibe really opened things up for me when used with the sf5p's. Right out of my iPod or laptop, the sf5p's were good, but there was a definitive positive difference when used with my amp. Just something to consider. I found the bass was much deeper and the clarity seemed to improve.
etysmile.gif
I think that had I gone with the EB's, the bass would have been overwhelming when used with an amp. My $0.02.

Yeah I'd definitely consider amping them. How much did your Go-Vibe run? Can you drop me a link to either that or another reasonably-priced amp that you feel would work well with the SF5P's?

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #18 of 26
Good bass from a DAP?

There is a reason that the brick under your CD player weighs 80 pounds, can't fit in your pocket, and keeps your room warm at night.

Of course, your amp also has to drive much larger speakers (ie, load) than headphones, but just think of the compromises made in components that are used in todays mico sized DAPs.

iPods are not alone in being bass deficint. An old article, but interesting (and with some surprising results):

http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/pl...playertest.htm

DAPs are constantly improving, and are nearly miraculous for their size. But, IMHO, trying to add low bass fundamentals to a tiny amp that struggles in this area may not be the best for overall sound quality. As mentioned, adding an amp in-line with your DAP can substantially ‘flesh out’ your sound. If so, it is the fault of your DAPs amp, not the headphones. I would stay with the headphones that sound the best using a high quality source. Technology is increasing, and as with the shuffle (from article), these deficiencies can be, in large part, addressed, and may be in your next DAP.

BTW- Does anyone else know of other DAPs that utilize transistors rather than coupling caps?

basshead.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
have you tried equalizing the dap to make the bass louder?
Quote:

Originally Posted by phink
Yeah, and that makes it a bit better until I start to turn the volume up and it starts clipping.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

You need this. It all but works miracles. Gives needed headroom to allow effective use of EQ on MP3 playback. It even tames the iPod's infamously cruddy EQ, for me at least. Good luck.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Fwiw, I don't think that any headphone, and especially iems can deliver true bass..... because there's no room in a 24 or 25 foot room for a wave with a 25 foot amplitude and a hundred foot wavelength (generated by those big kettle drums) to completely open up....

This is a misinterpreted claim I see alot. The sine waves that make up our sound exist in the time domain not distance domain. Bass notes do not need space to open up. If this were the case, we couldn't even get tones below the midrange to play in our headphones because of the small distance between our ears and the drivers.

However, I do agree that a headphone will not be able to achieve the visceral feeling that a nice sub capable of moving alot of air will.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #21 of 26
I'm looking for a really good pair of IEMs to use primarily with ipods and other portable MP3 players. I've been reading various opinions and I'm more confused than ever.
I'm leaning towards the Super.fi 5Pro since at $159 they seem hard to beat.
But how will they sound with an ipod nano for example? Will I be wasting my money? Do they need more power to sound good? I will not be using any amplifiers to drive these. I just want the best sound I can get, within reason.
Looking for advice. I'm open to others, like Shure and Ety as well.
Thanks.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #22 of 26
Buy em! Buy em! they are so perfect for ipods! easy to drive and they match the color.

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #24 of 26
You'll probably have to use the attenuator though. I use my super.fi 5 pro with the attenuator on my iPod 5G video (which most say has nearly the same output quality as the nano) because I can't stand the hiss I hear without it. And no, I've done many A/B and I personally do not hear any sound quality degradation with the attenuator (I had my buddy's 5G and put the same files on it, tried as closely as I could to volume match his unattenuated to my attenuated iPod, and swapped back and forth).

Wait, I just bought my girlfriend a nano! I'll plug my sf5 into that tonight and post back and let you know if I hear hiss. For the record, I get hiss from all of my sources on the super.fi because it's so easy to drive (receiver, PCDP, iPod, PC, PA2V2, etc.) so it's not just a synergy thing with iPods.

Feb 22, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
This is a misinterpreted claim I see alot. The sine waves that make up our sound exist in the time domain not distance domain. Bass notes do not need space to open up. If this were the case, we couldn't even get tones below the midrange to play in our headphones because of the small distance between our ears and the drivers.

Yes Jam_Master_J, a VERY good point. With IEMs we wouldn't hear anything beyond the treble if that were true.

Another consideration is that the larger the wave, the less directional it is. The same bass woofers loading a 12 x 15 ft room may not sound as bass heavy in a 20 x 25 ft room. At the other extreme, using IEMs to load the air in your ear canal should be relatively easy, even for a small driver. Using the room analogy, and taking it one step further, the deeper in the canal the IEM resides, the less reflections within the ear canal. A sharper, leaner sound. At least that makes sense to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
However, I do agree that a headphone will not be able to achieve the visceral feeling that a nice sub capable of moving alot of air will.

And yes, if your pant legs start shaking from the bass vibrations while wearing IEMs, it's time to bend over and kiss your butt goodbye.
etysmile.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #26 of 26
do you get the microphone affect from either the EB's or the 5Pros? becuase i want to ride my bike with my ipod. But even if they do get a litttle microphone sound do you get use to it? also i heard some complants about the derability of these phones...has anyone had any problems? Also has anyone used them on the airplane and do they work good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back