Super.Fi 5 Pro vs Super.Fi 5 EB
Aug 17, 2007 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Megalomania

Head-Fier
I'm sorry if this has been asked before (the search removes short terms like '5' and 'EB' from queries), but I'm looking for a pair of decent but not overly expensive IEMs, and after looking around on various sites, especially here, it looks like Super.Fi 5s are pretty good for their cost. However, I'm not sure whether to get the EB model or not. I listen to some bass-heavy music (Nine Inch Nails, etc), but also some classical and folk type music (Beck for the latter); primarily though I listen to music that is at least a tad bass heavy

I can get the EBs for ~120, and the regular Super.Fi 5s for about 160, though neither of those prices is troublesome.

Additionally, one of my main concerns is noise isolation as I'm newly moved into a dorm and want to be able to listen to my music in peace.

Any comments regarding which to get would be very much appreciated.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 10
5Pro
no burn in needed (except cable abt 40 hrs?)
engaging
a tad bright
can be used for analytical listening
better isolation

5EBs
needs about 150-200hrs burn in time (for the muddiness to clear)
engaging
warm
very very fun phones
very big head room (due to it being semi open)
not so good isolation (due to it being semi open)

PS IF you get the EBs and will be buying an amp. i would recommend a portaphile. gives you amazing bass n highs. the synergy is amazing.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 10
They are both pretty good iems. I have the pro and my girlfriend has the EB. Koike is absolutely right,.. EB needs a lot of burn-in then the bass will settle a bit. But it is till a bit too much bass and a bit bloated for many people. The SF5Pro is a good choice, the bass is deep enough but many might still consider the bass to be a bit bloated, The ES cable mod will fix that though... Overall,.. I would recommend the the SF5Pro and get yourself an ES cable from Westone. You will be happy!
cool.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 10
I have already agreed with Koike and all the rest. I believe he is quite accurate. I have fun also with the EB, much to the chagrin of the real "audiophiles" who certainly have their refined point of view( not enough to make me keep my shure 500's!) and whose contributions also attemp to help us raise the bar on quality. However, I still think the said IEM above rocks!!

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend the the SF5Pro and get yourself an ES cable from Westone. You will be happy!
cool.gif

How does the ES cable change the sound?

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 10
The ES cable tightens the bass of the superfi 5 Pro, increases the mids and make the sound overall a bit clearer. It is a really good upgrade. I first read about this on some other post. A fellow headfier told me that UE dumbs down the sound of their universal IEMs a bit with their cable in order to justify the $$$ for their custom IEMs. Anyways,.. it's $32. If you have the Superfi 5Pro you should definately check it out. Sounds even sweeter with an impedance adaptor I heard... but never try it myself.

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megalomania /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much better is the isolation on the Pros compared to the EBs?

Much better. I own both; with normal listening volume with the the pros you can't friggin' hear anything! The EBs provide 16db isolation, the pro's 26db.

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 10
I am going to be purchasing a pair of super Fi 5 pro's because of the music i listen to. It was a large consideration when i was looking at headphones. The UE website has info on what music sound best with what headphones.

Might try that westone cable upgrade once ive had mine a while and see if i can notice the difference, good info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back