Super.fi 5 Pro upgrade - Klipsch Image x10 - FS Atrio M5 - Sleek Audio SA6?
Dec 18, 2008 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cassper

Head-Fier
Hi guys..

I've got a bit od dilemma here. At the moment I own UE Super.fi 5Pro and IE8. I'm intending to sell my IE8 (I live in a noisy city) and I'd like to upgrade Super.fi 5 Pro.
From my research the selection is at the moment down to 2 options: Klipsch Image x10 and Future Sonics Atrio M5. Soundwise I'm looking for something between sf5pro and IE8...something more lively and with a fuller, richer sound than sf5pro (after trying IE8 I find their sound very empty, flat). I listen mainly to rock, progressive rock, metal.
Which one of x10 vs m5 would you recommend me? Or is there something more I should have a look at? Any help is greatly appreciated..

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys..

I've got a bit od dilemma here. At the moment I own UE Super.fi 5Pro and IE8. I'm intending to sell my IE8 (I live in a noisy city) and I'd like to upgrade Super.fi 5 Pro.
From my research the selection is at the moment down to 2 options: Klipsch Image x10 and Future Sonics Atrio M5. Soundwise I'm looking for something between sf5pro and IE8...something more lively and with a fuller, richer sound than sf5pro (after trying IE8 I find their sound very empty, flat). I listen mainly to rock, progressive rock, metal.
Which one of x10 vs m5 would you recommend me? Or is there something more I should have a look at? Any help is greatly appreciated..

Without a doubt don't go for the M5... not only is it more bassy and muddy than the 2 IEMs you have, its isolation is also not that good. The X10 would be a good choice. Or maybe the Sleek SA6.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without a doubt don't go for the M5... not only is it more bassy and muddy than the 2 IEMs you have, its isolation is also not that good. The X10 would be a good choice. Or maybe the Sleek SA6.

Do x10 have a good isolation? And from what I read in the other threads, aren't SA6 a bit light on the bass?
Didi you have an opportunity to hear these two compared to sf5pro? I can't find the direct comparison anywhere...
So far I tend to go the x10 way.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 15
If the X10s are anything like the X5s, they are supremely comfortable with very very good isolation but relatively flat sounding. Now, from what I've read, the X10s have better bass than the X5s, but that would still mean it is lacking in the highs/treble department.

From what I have read about the SA6, they isolate very well, and have a very good all-around sound. Strong mids. Good highs. Decent bass.

But I have read lots about quality issues with both IEMs. At least the SA6 has a replaceable cable.

When it comes to the Atrios, I have never read of someone having a problem with one. Everyone refers to them as being the bass kings of IEMs. They have decent mids but really lack in the highs/treble department. But if it is bass you need, get these.

(Caveat: I have only owned the X5s.)

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 15
The Atrio are fuller sounding although bass-heavy whereas the X10 is more balanced throughout the spectrum. I agree that the isolation is not fantastic on the Atrio, even with triflanges it's not as good as other IEMs (so it's probably the housing problem). The Atrio are pretty durable as well, I toss them around a fair bit and they're still fine.

If isolation is your main priority, I'd go for the X10. If sound is your main priority, I'd go for the Atrio. SA6 is too light in the bass department for me.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are a lot of things I'd call the M5, but muddy is not one of them.

@cassper: You're going to get a lot of bass with the M5. A lot. It will be crisp and fast bass. The X10 will give you an above average amount of bass that's smoother than the M5, at the expense of detail. As far as the rest of the spectrum, the X10 handles the mids and highs better than the Atrio, but the Atrio sounds great in the mids and highs as well (and is more than suitable for rock/metal). I'd say the X10 is more comfortable than the M5, although the M5 is also more durable than the X10.

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 15
good recommendations. i will agree with taikero. m5 are anything but muddy but not incredibly fast. the have been the most natural sounding of iems i have tried but i found one problem: on fast trance, their housing encroached on bass lines. for rock it was beautiful.

sa6 are fast and i with a good seal, have loads of bass but not as natural nor as plenty as the atrio. i think there is not a 'best' option for the ones listed, rather best for your prejudices.

by the way: my sa6 is on sale (shameless to the end)

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good recommendations. i will agree with taikero. m5 are anything but muddy but not incredibly fast. the have been the most natural sounding of iems i have tried but i found one problem: on fast trance, their housing encroached on bass lines. for rock it was beautiful.

Well, if you want truly extra fast bass you're going to have to go with a bass-anemic IEM (in my experience). For how much bass output the M5 has, I'd say it's pretty fast.
wink.gif

Quote:

sa6 are fast and i with a good seal, have loads of bass but not as natural nor as plenty as the atrio. i think there is not a 'best' option for the ones listed, rather best for your prejudices.

True, there is no best option for bass. You either get detailed bass at the expense of hit, or hard-hitting bass at the expense of detail. I like to think that the M5 is the best compromise personally. I always thought it would be interesting to see a version of the Atrio (or another Future Sonics product with about the same sound signature) that had less bass output but a much tighter and detailed low end.

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 15
Owned both (still have the X10s), and without an amp, I say the X10s are the better phone for your needs. Comfort is second to none, iso is pretty good (I use the larger bi-flanges) and they are more balanced than the M5s. Now, I owned the M5 v1, and some folks say the v2 is a better M5 when it comes to mids/highs. Don't know myself. I have had no issues durability wise with the X10s. Oh, I also liked the SA6s as well (in fact, sold the Atrios to help finance them), but I had to send back the drivers twice for different durability reasons. One time, the plastic ring around the treble tube hole fell apart. The other time, lost sound in the right driver. It wasn't the cable. All three companies have excellent customer service based on my experience with each.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Many thanks for all the replies.
I've just changed the thread title as there seems to be another strong contender - SA6. And if I wasn't travelling away on Saturday for a couple of weeks I would have ordered them. After IE8 I'm really after something with a strong midrange and SA6 seem to fit the bill. One question hasn't been answered though. I know they're probably not in a league with IE8 - but how do they compare to sf5pro?

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 15
from what i read, the x10's have more of a recessed mids than the SA6, the SA6 have better mids than x10's. thats just what i read. what i do know, is that i agree with taikero on how the x10's have an above average bass but not bass head material which was exactly what i was looking for. the SA6 have less bass than x10's but i think more mids. personally, i got the x10's and im very happy with them, there a keeper. i kinda just wish they changed the stress relief headphone jack area. cuz the jack curves in and i wish the cable felt stronger. to me, it feels a lil bit fragile. but yea, im glad i got the x10's, no experience with SA6 although many ppl say there about the same, just personal preferences between the two.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 15
I personally own the X10s - so I can't speak for the SA6s or compare them.

I can tell you that yesterday was my first airplane trip with them - and just using the single flange tips that came first on the earphone they isolated far better than my Shure SCL4s did with the Olive foamies. Definitely did not expect that...

In terms of sound signature - mids are certainly not a strongest point, but they are far from lacking/poor. I listen normally out of a Zune (so no EQ) - but little midrange boost in EQ definitely helps

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #14 of 15
i previously own m5 revision. wut i can say from memory is m5 has better treble detail and lower bass response. However, x10i has equal amount of bass quantity and detail to m5 which is an amazing feat considering x10i is using amature driver. x10i is way more comfortable to wear and better aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back