Super.fi 5 Pro replacement received--thoughts (good and bad)
Jun 6, 2006 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dvdonly

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my replacement super.fi 5 pro from UE. My old ones had a crack in the right side. Some thoughts on the replacement:

1. The "new thicker" cable is indeed that. But here's an aesthetic complaint: it's "clearish plastic". Kind of like clear ethernet cable color. Why is this a problem? I bought black sf5pros. So I have black earpieces, but clearish-white cables.

2. The cable has a thicker, flexi-plastic "ethernet-shielding" kind of feel to it. It hasn't given up the shape in which it was wrapped (whereas the old rubber cable didn't retain a shape and flattened/straightened out right away).

3. The "memory" part of the new cable (near the connection) is more flexible and forgiving than the old version. I find it easier to put on my ears than the old version. One new thing that I consider a positive.

4. There obviously was a design change to the earpieces, which I think was an indication that the old version was prone to cracking. Whereas the old earpieces were matted, raw (unpainted) plastic, these new earpieces look like they have an enamel-painted gloss to them. Same shape, but they shine now in light (whereas the old matte plastic did not).

5. The aluminum case has been downgraded. It no longer has the inside "wind it around me" piece, it's just all felt inside. And it feels cheaper. The aluminum part, I mean. Where the old case felt like real aluminum, this one feels like thin plastic painted a brushed aluminum. It doesn't feel or sound aluminum. If I'd known, I'd have kept my old case. Of course, there was also the theory that the old case may have contributed to the cracking problem...

6. Even though the case still says that a leather carrying case is supposed to come with it, there was not one in my case. I wonder if this was an oversight due to a packaging error, or if they've dropped the case. Again, if I'd known, I'd have kept the old leather case too.

On the positive side, it's still the same great sound that I remember from 2 weeks ago
biggrin.gif

Kudos to UE for addressing my replacement so quickly, and for getting me the new cable version (though I never had a problem with the old one). But the downgraded aluminum case, the non-matching color of the cable, and the lack of leather case really put a damper on the excitement I had when I found the FEDEX package waiting at my door.
frown.gif

Anyone else get their replacements? Any thoughts?

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 20
I'm sending mine in tomorrow..I didn't mind the old cable either. You said "clearish." How clear are they? They don't look like earbuds do they?

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 20
One more thing that's missing from my package: the biflange tips. I have the S, M, L silicone tips, and the foamies, but no biflanges. I never used them much, but hey, it was nice to have the option.

Sisenor, what do you mean by looking like earbuds? Apple earbuds? Those are white, right? No, these are clear-ish. Not perfectly clear, but you can see the cable wire within.

When I get a chance, I'll try to take some pics and post them.

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 20
I just bought a new set of super fi 5 pros and while I do not know if the cable is thicker, the cable winder thing was definately missing from the metal case. The rest of the parts (all flanges, leather case, etc) were all present.

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdonly
One more thing that's missing from my package: the biflange tips. I have the S, M, L silicone tips, and the foamies, but no biflanges. I never used them much, but hey, it was nice to have the option.

?? You got a factory sealed package with no biflanges and no leather case? Did UE make you send everything back to them for a replacement? Shure only asks for the phones.

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 20
Yes, UE asked me to ship everything back. I actually had the original packaging too so I sent it all back. And yes, the replacement was also factory sealed. I bet it was a packaging oversight. I'm going to email them tomorrow about it. Bummer about the new "aluminum" case being more like aluminum-painted plastic
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 20
I just receive my 5pro's back as well... with the exact same packaging - black 5pro's, clear cable, and missing double flanges, no more leather pouch (good thing i forgot to send them my original one!), and new metal case..

i do like the glossy cover on the new ones though... i'll bet the glossy plastic will keep it from cracking, which is the most important thing i care about now since these are my 3rd pair...

i emailed UE and they did acknowledge a bad batch problem in the beginning of the yr, for folks who ordered theirs around feb timeframe

so hopefully these new ones will not crack anymore...

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdonly
Yes, UE asked me to ship everything back. I actually had the original packaging too so I sent it all back. And yes, the replacement was also factory sealed. I bet it was a packaging oversight. I'm going to email them tomorrow about it. Bummer about the new "aluminum" case being more like aluminum-painted plastic
frown.gif

well that's it then, when it's time to RMA: "Darn, i can't find either case, and i looked *everywhere*". If you say this with your eyes closed, it's not a lie.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 20
This whole thing about the new metal case makes me think a bit... It does not have the "cup" inside right ? Now that I think about it I only noticed the cracks on my second pair after using the case for travel. I usually leave them in the case on my desk but not with the cover on the case. When I do put it on Im always carefull to check they are placed properly so as not to get crushed when putting the top on the case. I just wonder if it is somekind of design flaw in the case ?

Thanks for the heads-up , I have not sent this second set in for R.M.A. yet but I think I just lost the leather case and the bi-flanges among other parts. Hopefully the third set will be the charm.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 20
i will post pictures soon. just got my RMA replacements about 5 minutes ago. the housing does look sturdier and the cables more comfortable, but again, the cables are quite ugly. don't like the new case and where the heck is my leather case? no biflanges either. mixed feeling, but eh, at least they were replaced.

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 20
The metal case in mine (no cable winder so I guess its the new one) has enough room to put the 5pros in facing straight up and still not touch the top when the case is closed.

Jun 8, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #14 of 20
I have returned about three pairs of Superfi5s due to housing cracking..... The first two were just cracks, the third ones actually came apart when I tried to swap the cable.......
Now I'm on my fourth pair and obviously I checked them under microscope...... and they had no cracks at all.
Unfortunately, the original cable broke within 2 weeks, I called them and now I have the new 2.0 cable. Mine is glossy black and it is about 3 times the original one in diameter. It is not clearish white at all.
However, yesterday I was checking them and I found a tiny crack ( again....) in one of the housings, arghhhhhh.I'll probably contact them now that I know they adressed the cracking issue with the updated version.

By the way, UE customer service is THE BEST.

PD. The are about to release a metal housing version (Cherry Red) of the Superfi5Pro.

Jun 8, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 20
just got mine today from UE.

here is a pic - the earphones are actually a blackish charcoal with a metallic finish, which is why they look a bit 'purple'!!

ue5pro7ti.jpg

i also sent an email to UE customer service (who are very good) asking about the cable manager in the old cases, and apparently "they were causing problems and issues with the earbuds". i rather liked it and found it convenient, but if they were causing problems, then fair enough.

i'm just glad to get my earphones back, albeit with new cables and a bit shinier!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back