Super.fi 5 Pro + P to S adapter?
Aug 3, 2005 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

psyco1

500+ Head-Fier
I've been toying with the idea of getting a 5pro but was concerned about the "sometimes too much" bass, especially after having the ER-4p and was wondering if anyone had tried the P to S adapter to adjust the sound, and if so, how did it change?

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 11
In a great majority of cases, adding resistance makes the sound darker (smoothes out the treble). Knowing the Super.fi sound signature that may be too dark already, I think all the adaptor will do is to muddy the sound more.

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 11
Really, damn.
I was under the impression that it dropped the level and tightened the bass, like it does with the Etys and the ksc-35.

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 11
actually the s.f5p includes a p/s type adapter, presumably to protect them when using airliner heapdhone jacks. unlike the ety p/s adapter effect, which lowers the level of gunk in the signal giving lightness and sparkle, with the s.f5p the sq goes a little flat.

as a huge ety fan i'm not troubled at all by the s.f5p bass. after 20 hours of aggressive burn-in so far, the bass sounds tighter and the dedicated treble/mid driver provides rich detail without being flashy about it. the bass on the s.f5p is on the cusp of being "too much", especially right out of the box. with some more burn-in we'll see... this is all with an sr71 amp.

ecost has it right now for under us$200, btw.
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
cool.gif

All I see is the black & white both for $249.

Thanks for alleviating my concerns, redshifter.

Aug 4, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyco1
All I see is the black & white both for $249.

Thanks for alleviating my concerns, redshifter.

dang, i just got mine (black, of course) for $186.

froogle has it in a couple of places for under $200.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?so...super.fi+5+pro

Aug 4, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
actually the s.f5p includes a p/s type adapter, presumably to protect them when using airliner heapdhone jacks. unlike the ety p/s adapter effect, which lowers the level of gunk in the signal giving lightness and sparkle, with the s.f5p the sq goes a little flat.

as a huge ety fan i'm not troubled at all by the s.f5p bass. after 20 hours of aggressive burn-in so far, the bass sounds tighter and the dedicated treble/mid driver provides rich detail without being flashy about it. the bass on the s.f5p is on the cusp of being "too much", especially right out of the box. with some more burn-in we'll see... this is all with an sr71 amp.

cool.gif

I didn't really find that the 5pro changed all that much when adding a 75ohm adapter. I also didn't find they changed at all with burn-in. Maybe psychologically, I guess.

The 'volume attenuator' included is not an ohm'ed adapter, apparently, it just lowers the db by 25. So it would not accomplish the same thing as the p->s adapter.

ymmv

edit: that is a good deal

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 11
On single driver canal phones adding series resistance increases the relative level of treble, while reducing the overall volume.

On dual driver canal phones it only reduces the overall level. I think it is because the treble driver is isolated by the crossover network. I did try it with the SF5.pro, and they only got murkier.

gerG

Aug 4, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Just wanted to chime in with my Super.Fi 5 Pro experience so far. The first time I put these on and plugged them into my iPod, I was ready to declare them the 'worst canalphone of all time'. The bass was ridiculous, there was aboslutlely no midrange and all but the very highest treble was inaudible. The classical musical music that I listen to sounded like a cartoon of itself.

Over the following 20 hours or so however, this has opened up into a canalphone that I can truly enjoy, even with classical music. The mids have gradually revealed themselves, the bass has deepend while losing some of the ridiculous emphasis on high bass. The highs are now quite detailed and well extended. All in all I'm really enjoying this straight out of a 3G iPod. I have a total bithead, but unfortunately the imdedence of this phone is too low (21 ohm) to avoid the noise floor of the bithead, so I find that combination unusable.

edit: Just wanted to add that I bough them new from ebay for $160!

Aug 4, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 11
burn-in psychoacoustic? anyone have an opener for this can of worms?
wink.gif

whatever it is, after 30 hours so far of the nin "downward spiral" burn-in program i have noticed the bass sounds tighter and better integrated with the treble.

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
On single driver canal phones adding series resistance increases the relative level of treble, while reducing the overall volume.

On dual driver canal phones it only reduces the overall level. I think it is because the treble driver is isolated by the crossover network. I did try it with the SF5.pro, and they only got murkier.

gerG

Ahh, that explains it. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back