Super Fi 5 pro has weak bass. Anyone?
Jul 19, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #19 of 29
Just received Compys T-500. I must say that this is it. I wouldn't use any tips other than Compys' Foam tips. It fits nicely, and most importantly, it's comfortable! Bass is tighter with Super Fi 5 pro.

Question: How did you clean the tip? The instruction says not washing.

I will order more tips just in case.

thanks.

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelv20850 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received Compys T-500. I must say that this is it. I wouldn't use any tips other than Compys' Foam tips. It fits nicely, and most importantly, it's comfortable! Bass is tighter with Super Fi 5 pro.

Question: How did you clean the tip? The instruction says not washing.

I will order more tips just in case.

thanks.

I'm curious, did you ever try the Complys T400 that were on the Super.fi 5 Pro when you received them, or were you grossed out by used foam tips?
tongue.gif

Like I said, the T400 were so tight I would destroy them removing them, so I wanted you to be able to test Complys before you took them off and I left them on and shipped that way.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #21 of 29
I tried the one you shipped. It was comfortable, but i decided to to try silicon as well.Then , the silicon was uncomfortable, that's why i ordered Comply. I didn't really know the one you shipped is T-400
smily_headphones1.gif
. One of tip ripped off when i tried to take it off for cleaning.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Hi,
I got Super Fi 5 Pro . I think its bass is weak, even weaker than the Ipod earbud that comes with Ipod Classic. I even push it deep into ear canal, but bass does not improve much.

I probably don't put it in correctlY?

thanks.

I don't know about the 5s but the 3s require a perfect seal for them to produce acceptable bass. They are problematic that way because the seal always requires maintaining by simply pushing the phones back in the ear canal 1mm or so. They tend to migrate out, even though they feel sealed, and loss bass.

UE needs to rework these phones for a better fit. Or provide longer single flange seals. I tried almost every seal I have in my inventory to gain a reliable seal to the ear, one that doesn't need continuous pressing in, kind of like a person correcting their eye glasses. I settled on some large Creative Labs Aurvana seals. Even they migrate out 1mm or so after a while. You'd think with the cost of these types of canalphones, the industry would be able to come up with a reliable seal for a phone like this UE 3. You'd also think UE would see the need for various types, sizes and depths of seals for their strangely shaped phones. All mine need are maybe a 2mm deeper half football shaped seal. The shape of the Aurvana seal is just right but it isn't deep enough.

Looking at the Shure SE 300 series phones, they look like they would be the best fitting, for me, anyway. The stem isn't abrupt like the UE3 but, rather, gradual and can go into the ear canal deeper. The UE3 is shaped to stop at a certain depth...the length of the seal. Also, you'd think the industry could come up with one of these seals that have ridges around it to grip the ear.

Strange, strange, strange how the industry cannot even fathom some simple things like I've just thought about. Who knows, they probably have thought about my ideas and more but, for whatever reason, chose not to introduce them.

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #23 of 29
I think I'm another one of those people who find it very difficult getting a good fit for the SF5s, especially when I'm walking around since the right hand side monitor seems to constantly work itself lose. I tried everything, and they tips were either too small, too big or wern't very comfortable. The foams are alright, but I don't want to constantly order replacements.

I think the Shures were definitely a much nicer fit for me.

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #24 of 29
Once I discovered Complys foam tips, and the flip flop mod, comfort and seal were no longer a problem. That's why I made sure I sent a pair of tips with the Super.fi when I shipped them.

Someday I might try the Triple.fi again, now that I know what to do to get a good fit, but with three pairs of well fitting custom IEM I really don't need universal IEM anymore.

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #25 of 29
I agree with both : Supre Fi is hard to keep it in the ear, however, It works nicely with COmplys foam. So far i don't have to keep pushing it in the ear canal.

I'm pretty happy with Super Fi 5 + Comply foam so far.

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about that...next to my Atrio's and SA6's, the SF5P's lower-bass capabilities sound pretty weak and lacking. Lots of mid-bass, if that's what the TC likes.

x2. sf5p lacks so much in the lower bass section compared to the sa6.

though sf5p definitely has tons more mid bass and boom.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #27 of 29
I don't like the standard UE tips. They seem very hard to me and end up working out of my ears.

What fits on them:
CX300 tips - a lot softer and more comfortable
Sony tips that came with my SE phone - very similar to the CX300s
eBay specials - for a couple of quid, these do the trick

Using any of these ones I have no fit or comfort issues, in fact I have found them very comfortable.

T-500s ordered, but have not appears from the States yet.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #28 of 29
Several folks in this forum recommended Denon AH-C551 because of good low bass. I may give it a try.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Several folks in this forum recommended Denon AH-C551 because of good low bass. I may give it a try.

(edit - bad news, my 15yr old won't give up the C700 now. She'd switched the the JVC FX66 while the Super.fi were being replaced, but then recently took over the C700 even though it was 4 weeks ago that I offered them and she'd said no at the time. Sorry.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back