Super.Fi 5 Pro = First Eargasms!
Jan 27, 2006 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gtp

1000+ Head-Fier
I found a great deal on some barely used clear Super.Fi 5 Pros and received them yesterday. For reference, I own or have owned: E2c, V6, HD201, DT250-80, HD25-1, and KSC-75. I have not heard any other high-end headphones, so I can only compare with what I have owned. My source is a 4G Ipod feeding an 18V OPA2107 Cmoy. I listen to many different genres of music, pretty much everything but country. Each of my headphones had aspects I liked and those I didn't - none were a perfect fit for me soundwise.

My first impression was that they looked really neat with the clear, see-through plastic. My next impression was, holy crap, I am going to rip the cord because it is sooo thin. At least I can buy replacements if that happens.

I plugged them in and noticed that they are VERY efficient. In fact, I think they are too sensitive. I am hearing a lot more cell-phone "dut-duttadut-dut-dut" with these than I did with any other phones. Also, there is definately more fuzzy noise during silent passages, but this isn't much of a problem since it is typically masked by the music.

The fit is great. I would say similar to the E2c. I've never had a problem with IEM-related pain. I use the medium softies, and I get a bit of a pop when I pull them out.

Two things are immediate to me: the soundstage and the separation. I could not believe that one could have soundstage with IEMs, but these have a better soundstage than my HD201s, which were among the best of the few 'phones I've tried. The instrument separation is truly amazing. Previously, I heard only the prominent parts of music - for example vocals dominating over guitar and drums - and the music sorted of "melted" together. With these, I sense a separation, that each instrument coexists but are clearly defined from the other instruments. I don't know, perhaps these two aspects, soundstage and instrument separation, are related. The detail is also the best I've heard. I can hear little sounds in my music that I've never noticed before.

I like heavier, bassier sound, so I was a bit concerned that the bass would be anemic (for example, I found my E2c to not have much bass, even with a good seal). On the 5Pro, the bass is definitely there, not bloated, and it can slam pretty good for bassy music. The mids are nice and warm, and the highs are fine for me. I have to say there is a fairly obvious difference between amped and unamped. Everything is better with the amp. I originally bought these hoping that I would be able to forego the use of an amp, but the difference is significant enough that I will continue to use my amp.

I have about 8-9 hours on the 5 Pros, and I am fully satisfied. So much so, that I would be willing to go with these as my only head/earphones (gasp), and I have no desire to upgrade or sidegrade (except maybe my amp
evil_smiley.gif
). These truly do sound perfect to me. As I am going through my music, I am continually surprised at how great and involving the sound is, without being fatiguing. Right now it's Wynton Marsalis, The Midnight Blues, and I just cannot believe what I am hearing.

Jan 28, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 6
Glad to hear you like them. Welcome to the club.

Jan 28, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp
...My next impression was, holy crap, I am going to rip the cord because it is sooo thin. At least I can buy replacements if that happens...

That's exactly what happened to me last week. I've been using these great IEM's for many months now on just about a daily basis. I take pretty decent care of them, but the cord finally gave out on me last week. The right monitor kept going in and out like the connection was bad. If I very gently wiggled the connector a little bit, it would temporarily fix it...until I moved my head again. But all is well now--my replacement came from UE yesterday, and life is good again. Anyway, hope you enjoy your new IEM's. I know I love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back