Super.Fi 5 Pro debate
Aug 21, 2006 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spoot

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm relatively new to headfi posting but I've been browsing the threads for about 3 weeks now. I need some advice for I'm planning on buying a new pair of IEM's. I'm, at the moment, listening to my friend's Super.Fi 5 pro's (just my luck that he bought them, I was seriously considering them even before listening to them). My current portable gear consists of an iRiver IFP-799 and stock buds. I'm only resorting to stock buds because I've yet found anything else satisfying (i've tried all the high end sony IEM's and the e2c's and e3c's).

The main problem I have with the super.fi's is that there is a lot of static due to the low impedance of them and the powerful amp in the iRiver. They are a huge step above my stock buds but I seam to also notice the "veil" other reviewer speak of. These buds have only had about 20 hours burn in, so I'm wondering if this veil will be lifted somewhat.

However, I do very much enjoy the quality and power of the bass repsonse of the IEM's. I'm a little bit of a bass head but I can't sacrifice the other frequencies, so the super.fi 5EB's are out of the question. Please help with my decision or make some suggestion on which IEM's would preform better to my liking. Almost forgot, I listen to a lot of rock, but also lots of classical as well. Thanks in advanced!

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 11
I think* you are a good candidate for the Shure e4c... The gaming edition might have the extra bass you wish, but I would definately go for the i-edition, which has a microphone (so you can listen to people without unplugging the IEMs) and eq the bass...

The Etys will probably be too light sounding for you*

Regards,

Alberto

*based on opinions posted here, not that I tested them myself (I do have the super.fi 5 pro's)

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 11
Welcome to Head-Fi, spoot!
I don't know if your budget can handle it, but I would recommend the Westone UM2. To my ears, they have bass that's pretty close to the UE5.Pros, with a bit more midrange detail and top end extension. I honestly don't think the Shure E4 will satisfy your bass desires. In the Shure line-up, the E5 and the newer E500 would probably do the trick.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm looking not to spend too much money (really shouldn't have joined this forum...hahaha), but I guess the cost of the UM2 would be the limit of what I'm willing to pay. Unless the E5 or the E500's have a quite significant improvement in SQ and overall "goodness" compared to the UM2's.

Joelongwood, how durable are the cables on the UM2? one of the feature that got me interested in the super.fi's was the replacable cable. Also, comfort level, which IEM's do they compare to?

Thanks some more guys! All advise you give is greatly appreciated!

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Will there be a problem with noise with the UM2's? i noticed that they have the same impedance as the 5 pro's i was auditioning, which have significant amounts of noise when i'm using them with my iriver ifp-799. Is there a way to remedy this problem?

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 11
Use the airline adapter for added impedance, the noise will go away.

And I wouldn't call it a veil. I think the 5 pros are just unspectacular headphones.
If you buy shures (e3 especially), the vocals are very prominent. Jazz is very sweet with them. Yet - is it a feature or a flaw?
On the other hand, the 5 pros do not have these irregularities. I regard them as quite flat sounding IEMs, nothing spectacular, but not bad at all.

Aug 23, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #8 of 11
Mess with the eq a little on your friend's. I think there's a lot of sf5p haters on here
tongue.gif
but I don't know cause these are the only IEM I've heard. p e a c e

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 11
thanks for the replies.

barkas, i'm not sure if the e3 will be right for me. i still want powerful but responsive bass as well as detailed highs and mids. i may be asking too much for the price i want to pay.... which is <$300. i've heard that the airline adapter degrades the sound quality to some degree.... that would not be ideal...

sisenor, i don't think it's a matter of eq. there is just too much hiss for my liking due to the powerful (or low quality?) headphone amp on my mp3 player.

planning on going to the local dealer to test out a pair of UM2's sometime soon. hopefully i will be satisfied. otherwise i'll soon be joining team broke (stupid student's budget)

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cribeiro
I think* you are a good candidate for the Shure e4c... The gaming edition might have the extra bass you wish, but I would definately go for the i-edition, which has a microphone (so you can listen to people without unplugging the IEMs) and eq the bass...

The Etys will probably be too light sounding for you*

Regards,

Alberto

*based on opinions posted here, not that I tested them myself (I do have the super.fi 5 pro's)

Sorry cribeiro but most of this information is wrong :p. The Gaming Edition does not have extra bass. It is just black with a shorter cord, mainly aimed at the PSP crowd. The "i" edition's microphone does not allow you to to hear others around you. This is only in Shure's PTH module. The "i" edition is aimed at cellphone customers as it can be used as a headset.

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 11
blink.gif

:blush:

I apologize deeply... I have never put my foot in it sooo badly.

I got confused with the i-series due to this sentence (from the Shure website):
"Lose yourself in the music without losing your connection to the outside world."

I knew about the pth, and assumed it was just that they were writing about...

Regarding the gaming edition:
" E4g Sound Isolating Earphones: Gaming Edition

Sleek, sound isolating earphones produce premium-performance audio with enhanced bass-for the ultimate gaming experience.
"

Also from Shure.

I did not research any further before drawing my conclusions... But thanks for correcting me
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back