Super.fi 5 pro cable problems?
Jun 2, 2005 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

smting

New Head-Fier
I read in the other thread that someone had a dead earphone on their set and returned it for a good pair. Mine was out on 1 side right out of the package, too, but I squeezed the hard plastic flange area where the cable comes out of the headphone and it came on. I've since noticed either side will go out depending on whether or not this area is bent in the correct direction. Am I the only one who is experiencing this? It's getting a bit annoying.
rolleyes.gif
Once it's in place, it is ok for that listening session, as the plastic is stiff enough to hold the position once you move it enough to work. The next time I put them in and are adjusting the hard wire around your ear again, I might have to play w/ the hard plastic flange again. I wonder if that hard wire is shorting out the internal wires. Even though the plastic is clear, it's hard to see what the wires are doing in there. Also, has anyone figured out how we are supposed to change the cables on these puppies? I didn't see anything in the manual and I couldn't really see any interface as to where they might be removable from the earphone.

Otherwise, I do love the sound of these, although I agree w/ the comments about the rolled off highs compared to E3's. Anybody want to buy some used E3's?
biggrin.gif
I haven't tried the E4's and was very interested in them, but from what I read, the bass on the E4 still isn't as much as these super.fi's, so that influenced my decision. The treble boost EQ setting on the ipod helps. At least w/ the E3's, the bass boost settings on the ipod still couldn't get the E3's bass to the level of the super.fi. I'd personally rather have enough bass and a little rolled off highs than vice versa.

BTW, sorry to the guy on the phone yesterday looking for these while I was at Guitar Center in Union Square at about 12:30 PM. I got the last pair but they had reserved them for me when I called earlier in the morning. At least you don't have to deal w/ funky shorted out wires now.
eek.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by smting
I read in the other thread that someone had a dead earphone on their set and returned it for a good pair. Mine was out on 1 side right out of the package, too, but I squeezed the hard plastic flange area where the cable comes out of the headphone and it came on. I've since noticed either side will go out depending on whether or not this area is bent in the correct direction. Am I the only one who is experiencing this? It's getting a bit annoying.
rolleyes.gif
Once it's in place, it is ok for that listening session, as the plastic is stiff enough to hold the position once you move it enough to work. The next time I put them in and are adjusting the hard wire around your ear again, I might have to play w/ the hard plastic flange again. I wonder if that hard wire is shorting out the internal wires. Even though the plastic is clear, it's hard to see what the wires are doing in there. Also, has anyone figured out how we are supposed to change the cables on these puppies? I didn't see anything in the manual and I couldn't really see any interface as to where they might be removable from the earphone.

Otherwise, I do love the sound of these, although I agree w/ the comments about the rolled off highs compared to E3's. Anybody want to buy some used E3's?
biggrin.gif
I haven't tried the E4's and was very interested in them, but from what I read, the bass on the E4 still isn't as much as these super.fi's, so that influenced my decision. The treble boost EQ setting on the ipod helps. At least w/ the E3's, the bass boost settings on the ipod still couldn't get the E3's bass to the level of the super.fi. I'd personally rather have enough bass and a little rolled off highs than vice versa.

BTW, sorry to the guy on the phone yesterday looking for these while I was at Guitar Center in Union Square at about 12:30 PM. I got the last pair but they had reserved them for me when I called earlier in the morning. At least you don't have to deal w/ funky shorted out wires now.
eek.gif

ya this has happened to me on quite a bit of my headphones...
anyone else know how to fix this problem?
it's quite annoying having to replace my headphones...

btw i use them for portable use... those sony in-ear ones.

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 3
I've had wires at the headphone jack fray at from use before, but this is a problem at the individual earphone connection. Certainly not what I'd want from a $250 pair of phones upon initial use. I'll probably call UE today and see what they have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back