Super Fi 5 Pro Cable problems,again.
Aug 11, 2006 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Negative Design

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I know some of you may remember my posting about a dead cable,well I'm having more cable problems
frown.gif
.This cable still works but its giving me the cheap HF signal problem...I'm sure are ALL know what is.Its when you need to wiggle the cord in the right direction/angle to get sound,I get only one ear operational the other is completely dead now.

I've passed through 3 cables so far,I LOVE my Super.fi.5Pro...and I would buy it ALL OVER again even if it was 500$ but they need to make better cables imo,I hope the UE10 has better cables I'm still saving up for that...maybe in 5 years who knows lol.

But anyway,anyone know where I can get inexpensive cable replacements and accepts moneyorders,I have no CC.

Thanks guys,
Vlad

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Hello,

When my cable went out a month ago(the connection at the 1/8" plug was loose, and sound came and went when i fiddled with the wire, i email UE and they sent me a new one immediately.

I don't know what you've done with the past cables, but if you haven't contacted UE, do it. Just tell them what happened and they'll respond in a flash asking for your address and color of preference, and the cable is on its way!

take care

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef
Hello,

When my cable went out a month ago(the connection at the 1/8" plug was loose, and sound came and went when i fiddled with the wire, i email UE and they sent me a new one immediately.

I don't know what you've done with the past cables, but if you haven't contacted UE, do it. Just tell them what happened and they'll respond in a flash asking for your address and color of preference, and the cable is on its way!

take care

Thanks alot for the advice,Chief,I will give that a try.

-Vlad

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 14
UE made an error in shipping my package so now they will reship it today(hopefully) but good news is they will ship out an "Updated" version of the Super.Fi.5 Pro which includes thickers and more durable cables and a more sturdy and tough monitor casing and will be making some changes to the wire management case which they said did more harm than good.

Sounds good to me
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish I was getting the black ones tho
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Good news on the replacement

The same happened to me as well, I have now sent the unit through to them in CA USA (I am in the UK) and they will hopefully be shipping a whole new set of upgraded phones to me shortly

And I have black ones but want the clear ones LOL

Sep 15, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Rubble

And I have black ones but want the clear ones LOL

Hmmmmm interesting dilema...maybe we could work something out
wink.gif

Have you seen any official news/reviews on the upgrades? I searched everywhere and can't see anything on it.Some say the wires will be threaded and that the sound quality may be improved etc etc...

Sep 15, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 14
I received the upgraded SF5Ps(clear) about a week ago. This was my 2nd time RMAing my SF5Ps (cracking problem). Both times UE managed to make the returns super smooth and I got them back in about 7-8 days total (the day I shipped-the day I received). So, big props to UE CS. The wires plug into the IEMS the exact same way. The cables are much thicker and sturdier. The housing is cast in the same mold. The new plastic housings feel and appear to be more durable than the original. IMO there's no difference in the sound quality. They still sound great! The wire winding wheel (nice use of alliteration) in the case has been removed. Just soft felt material inside. The exterior of the case looks the same (slightly flimsier material than I recall??). I gently wind the cable around two or three fingers then place the IEMs in the case-no problem. I'm very satisfied so far. Good Luck to everyone else with their RMAs.

Sep 15, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by beedee
I received the upgraded SF5Ps(clear) about a week ago. This was my 2nd time RMAing my SF5Ps (cracking problem). Both times UE managed to make the returns super smooth and I got them back in about 7-8 days total (the day I shipped-the day I received). So, big props to UE CS. The wires plug into the IEMS the exact same way. The cables are much thicker and sturdier. The housing is cast in the same mold. The new plastic housings feel and appear to be more durable than the original. IMO there's no difference in the sound quality. They still sound great! The wire winding wheel (nice use of alliteration) in the case has been removed. Just soft felt material inside. The exterior of the case looks the same (slightly flimsier material than I recall??). I gently wind the cable around two or three fingers then place the IEMs in the case-no problem. I'm very satisfied so far. Good Luck to everyone else with their RMAs.

Your description sounds very similiar to what the UE CS rep said,sounds very good.I've gone through 3 wires so far the new wire sounds very attractive.I also hear they have a metalic black upgrade as well.
About the improved sound,I heard that the cable was improved so that you can't hear microphonics as well,which would be great cuz i hear em alot when I walk.

Thanks for the input Beedee.

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 14
The new cable consists of twisted conductors of larger gauge and also thicker outer casing. The memory wire is also inserted into the cable outer casing instead of being in an extra clear tube alongside the cable. I am getting a better sound from the new cable probably because of the thicker gauge conductors and better contact to termination. I didn't get microphonics in either the new or old cable so I cannot comment on that. I also have never broken any one of the 3 old cables I have, so even though the new cable looks sturdier, I cannot comment on actual sturdiness either. The new cable extremely similar to, or perhaps is the same as the UE10 cable (the wire used in the construction, not the plugs any other part).

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 14
My old cables were too stiff,maybe this was just me.But they always stuck in a single position.

I'm curious does anyone have a picture of the new cables?

I'd also like to see the RCA curve design changed as well,I want it straigh like the ipods.The curved design puts it in a bad position when in your pockets.Just a thought.

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negative Design
I'm curious does anyone have a picture of the new cables?

I do believe the newer cables are those now shown on the UE website, i.e.

Superfi-UE-SF5Pro_2.jpg

vs. the older

B0009Q4PHO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1117056031_.jpg

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless
I do believe the newer cables are those now shown on the UE website, i.e.

Superfi-UE-SF5Pro_2.jpg

vs. the older

B0009Q4PHO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1117056031_.jpg

Thanks epithetless,Even the ear molds look different,I think the rep told me something about the ear molds being changed as well.Very cool stuff I'm very anxious to get mine.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 14
No problem. By the way, I just came across a stock photo of the older design for an even more exact comparison:

newer
Superfi-UE-SF5Pro_2.jpg
vs. older
mm1online_1911_6556887

Here the differences in casings aren't so clear (lighting, man, it's all about lighting!), but it has been verified by UE that the newer versions are made of a thicker material.

Sep 21, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 14
My babies just came home and I'm LOVIN it
eggosmile.gif
Looks but better and sounds much better.Either there was an improvement or my last pair had lower bass.Hearing these again reminded me why I love em lol...I feel like my ears have had an epiphany.

The Clear model is actually clear and the memory wires come pre bent,theres also a new and better manual..even has a cupcake on it lol.
The old ones were yellowish these are more like a clear white,I've added some pix ...not great pix but you get the idea....hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back