Super.Fi 5 Initial Impressions
Dec 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hojomojo96

100+ Head-Fier
THE BELOW-MENTIONED (IS THAT GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT?) THOUGHTS ARE MINE, AND ONLY MINE. YOU MAY DISAGREE WITH THEM, AND THAT SUCKS FOR YOU.

Well, I haven't listened to them for long, just got them, but here what I think right off the bat:

Packaging:
Quite nice, gets the job done. Mind you, not incredible, and plastic.

Accessories:
GREAT. 4 pairs of silicon tips as well as 2 pairs of Comply's? AND a cleaner and a (albeit, small, plastic) case? Just great.

Durability:
I've heard of the problems people have had with them cutting out, but from the outside, they look fine. Big, durable looking strain reliefs, and a hefty wire. Couldn't ask for anything more except a detachable and cloth cable...

Isolation/Microphonics:
Isolation is pretty good, I'm sure you can get better, but I can't hear the TV at all when sitting right in front of it. I can hear my sister, though. >.>
Microphonics are horrible. One thing that brings these earphones down. They don't seem to fit ME as well over ear, either, (although some people swear by wearing them like that) so no way to get rid of that. Good thing these are my stay-at-home earphones, then, right? :p

SQ:
Well, treble is AMAZING. Great, and really clear. Couldn't ask for more from the highs and mids. I can hear details I could never hear before. The bass is slightly lacking, although I'm a bit of a basshead. Not a huge amount, but pretty good quality, and not boomy, either.

The best thing of all HAS TO BE the soundstage. I couldn't believe this sound was coming from the little things in my ears.

One bad thing? The constant background hiss. However, its not loud, and is drowned out by music on volume level 1. (playing off a Creative Zen MX)

General Thoughts:
Well, for the price I got them for ($60), they are a STEAL. Simply amazing. For $150? No clue, I don't have a reference point. Now, if someone was to send me a pair of $150 earphones for free... :wink:

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 5
Hhmmm. To be truthful, its rare to hear that a "hiss" comes directly from a headphone (Atleast from my perspective). Usually a hiss is due to poor recording by the artist that you didn't notice before or the source itself (I know Ipods have this innate hiss that goes away after you use a LOD). I have tried the SF5s and to me they are pretty good. True they aren't anything to write home about like the 10s (which after a while you find its flaws too) but its interesting that they merged away from their hybrid brethrens SF5 pro/EB. Maybe they were able to master the proprietary BA? And from what I hear the SF5 is significantly better. (I've never tried the Pro/EBs so I can't speak upon their behalf) The Soundstage is something that is supposed shine.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 5
I'll try to adress everything you commented on:
Um, well, none of my other headphones seem to hiss. And there is hiss even when I pause the song. I'm not saying its the headphone's fault, just that its something to look out for.
I think they're great, especially for the price I payed :D
And yes, I think they DID master (or come close to mastering) the BA.
I too have never tried the Pro/EBs.
And the soundstage is AMAZING. No other way to put it.

I think thats all of it :p
I'll have my final review put up in a couple weeks, after some more detailed listening, and a trip or two...

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 5
I've heard that the 5's are better for the price you pay, but a lot of people favor the 700's as far as sound goes, not including price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back