Super fi.5...I know...What about ? boost!compare to e4c
Jan 4, 2007 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

andersoj

Head-Fier
Well, I made it to head fi a little to late after receiving my SFi.5Pros for Christmas and I am beginning to doubt my decision. I agree that they sound muddy as hell in the mids and veritably veiled in the highs, but i do enjoy them very much, especially with the treble booster enabled on my i pods eq. "luckily" My left bass driver just blew out some how and I am left with an opportunity to exchange them for the e4cs or hold out for the tipple fis, but I am not SHURE that this would be the best route for an un amped I pod playing at primarily 192 kbps mp3. I have read your insightful reviews extensively and am now drunk enough to make a post on my 21st birthday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and a little undeserved considering the company contributing. Does the treble boost compensate for the recessed highs and mids or are my uninitiated ears just hearing things, hanks for the charity
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 5
I tried the foamies, but one of them pulled off from its plastic when I was first swapping them around, so I don't have anymore. I think I will stick with these though and request a pack of foamies when I send them to be replaced. Do you use the trebble boost eq on your ipod? Does it help as much as I think it does? I wish I could try some shures and ETYs.

Edit:I apparently posted this in the wrong forum. Dumb drunk.

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by andersoj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you use the trebble boost eq on your ipod? Does it help as much as I think it does?

Actually, I really don't use the treble boost personally with the superfis. What type of music do you listen to? For me, these IEMs are great for guitar, especially very acoustic kind with little other things going on. For complex stuff with lots of different low frequency beats, it begins to show some weakness.

What seems missing some action is where the midrange ends and treble begins. Lots of detail is lost around that area..

Quote:

Originally Posted by andersoj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit:I apparently posted this in the wrong forum. Dumb drunk.

LOL! I just realized that too!

[size=medium]MODS PLEASE MOVE!![/size]

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 5
I think the SF5 pro's just about need an amp, even a Headroom Bit head would be fine with a line out for the iPod like I have setup. Its night and day between the 2. If your not going to get an amp to bring out the sound, E3C's sound great right out of the iPod, and without an amp you really are missing allot of what the SF5's have to offer. From what I know they are some of the harder IEM's to drive. With the BitHead the treble is so strong its borderline too much, but I believe they are closer to reference sound than the Shure's are, at least the E3C's I used to have. I loved them right out of the iPod, and if I am using my iPod ampless, I always use my Grado SR-60's instead as they always sound fantastic un amped even if you look like you are a Martian walking around with them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back