Nov 11, 2005 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

livejamie

New Head-Fier
B0009Q4PIS.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB Earphone

vs

ST00046.jpg

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones

i want whichever has the better sound (esp. bass)

Nov 11, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
I think the EB's have much more bass than the DT770's.

blink.gif
Wow, I've never use IEM's, but it seems strange that those little things could out bass the bassmiester 770.

Is this strictly based on quantity of the bass? You say the EB's have 'more' bass. How is the quality of the bass versus the 770's? How do the highs and mids of the EB's compare?

If I could get the sound of my 770's out of a pair of IEM's....well, my wallet is gonna need some more apologies
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 16
I would say go with the Superfi EBs because they have more uses than those bulky Beyers. You'd need an amp for the Beyers I'd assume to get good bass. With the EB's, you could use them with portables and at home also, and I think they're cheaper by a lot too.

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 16
This is a bit like comparing headphone bass and to speaker bass. Headphones usually have better sound quality for the same price. I'd go with the DT770 unless portability was an issue.

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 16
You'll get a lot of bass out of the DT770s even without an amp. As a matter of fact, the bass gets really really bassy without an amp. To me, it sounded fine, but to some it sounds flabby. With an amp, it just tightens it up and lowers the bottom a bit more. I'd say if portability wasn't an issue, you're going to be very very pleased with the DT770s. Plus, if you do get an amp someday, you'll improve the sound. It's a win win.

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkisz
blink.gif
Wow, I've never use IEM's, but it seems strange that those little things could out bass the bassmiester 770.

Is this strictly based on quantity of the bass? You say the EB's have 'more' bass. How is the quality of the bass versus the 770's? How do the highs and mids of the EB's compare?

If I could get the sound of my 770's out of a pair of IEM's....well, my wallet is gonna need some more apologies
wink.gif

I think the bass quality is at least as good, but this is from memory. As far has mids and highs go, I remember finding the DT770 a little edgy and harsh at times. The EB is very smooth.

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 16
I own both the Super.fi 5 EB and the DT770/80. While I listen mostly to my Headphile modded DT770/80's, I also own a stock pair. IMO, they are overall better sounding than the 5EB's. Their bass is better, if maybe just a touch less overall, but it's more balanced. And while the mids on the stock DT770's are a bit recessed, they image quite well, much better than the 5EB's. I also prefer the DT770's treble, although the 5EB's quite laid-back treble might appeal more to some.

That said, the 5EB and the DT770 sound more alike than many headphones do, so really in some ways I agree with what someone said above -- decide between the two by whether you want an IEM or a full size set of cans. The DT770's are supremely comfortable, and you'll be able to wear them much longer than the 5EB's.

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
The DT770's are supremely comfortable, and you'll be able to wear them much longer than the 5EB's.

Unless you are like me, and you don't like the pressure that over-the-head headphones generally put on the top of your head. I find IEMs in general to be vastly more comfortable than regular headphones (with the exception of Etymotics due to the orientation of the wire).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back