Super.Fi 5 EB mini-review (metalhead + basshead)
Feb 22, 2006 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

andrew_plamondon

New Head-Fier
I listen mostly to metal, but also to a lot of downtempo electronica, ambient music (with lotsa bass of course) and to some nu-jazz (Jaga Jazzist for example).

I didn't really want to put much money of headphones because I had been disapointed in the past (Grado SR-60 didn't do it for me, Sennheiser were ok but weren't worth it, I wanted to buy the top of the line Denon headphone because it was bassy but they discontinued it). I was looking at the Dt-770 but it's around 300$ CAN + taxes here and I would almost have to buy an amp. But then I saw the Super.Fi 5EB for 150$US in sale and I liked the Panasonic HJE50, they're ok but well, I listen to music in the bus so the music quality isn't all that matters.

I received the 5EB this morning and opened it up, just after listening to the Panas a bit. I was really disapointed at first, until I put back the Panas for comparison. My god, something was lacking : the bass was inexistant. I decided to put back the 5EB and wow, I'm a basshead and I have to say that I'm currently a bit overwhelmed by it
basshead.gif

The bass is so punchy and clear that for the first time in my life I had to lower it in the EQ a little bit. These are made for electronic music. Thievery Corporation and Jaga Jazzist never sounded so full before. They somehow seem to lack a bit in the higher-mids, but nothing an EQ couldn't take care of. I'm probably going to listen a lot more to electronica, nu-jazz and downtempo music instead of metal because they tend to bring the recording problems forward and unfortunatly, metal recordings often are full of them.

All in all I'm pretty satisfied, there worth the money so far and they haven't burned in yet (I only had 1 hour on them, it might explain the lack of higher-mids). I would have been thrilled had I been able to get free shipping in addition to the sale price (150$US) but well, I'm in Canada and the free shipping couldn't apply...
Anyway, I still have some listening to do (and some homework...), I'll get back with more impressions as in a couple of (listening) hours.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back