Super.Fi 5 EB = Like The Bass, But Missing Highs ??
Dec 30, 2005 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

integlspwr

New Head-Fier
I just got my Super.Fi 5 EB today and used it with my ipod nano. It sounds way better then my EX71's in the bass department, but the Super.Fi 5 EB is lacking in the highs.

Anyone make a suggestions with one with better highs with the same amount of bass then the Super.Fi 5 EB. BUT, I'm willing to give up SOME bass for some better highs.

Thanks in advance.

-integlspwr-

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 15
I let them burn in for a week before jumping ship. There is burn in with the EBs. I found the highs to get better.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
I let them burn in for a week before jumping ship. There is burn in with the EBs. I found the highs to get better.

the owner of UE said these headphoens dont need a burn in.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by integlspwr
the owner of UE said these headphoens dont need a burn in.

well me being an owner of a pair of EBs says there is. I guess you could call it a difference in opinions. I still give it a few days before making a decision. And you could EQ the treble if you wanted to as on option. Much harder to EQ the bass because of distortion.

Which owner are we talking about anyways?

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

well me being an owner of a pair of EBs says there is. I guess you could call it a difference in opinions. I still give it a few days before making a decision. And you could EQ the treble if you wanted to as on option. Much harder to EQ the bass because of distortion.

i'l give them a few days and make my decsion. i was thinking maybe the shure e4's or the super fi pro, or the UM2.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

i'l give them a few days and make my decsion. i was thinking maybe the shure e4's or the super fi pro, or the UM2.

personally i wouldnt go with UM2s if you want good treble presentation. I go with e4s or UE pro. Guessing the e4s.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

personally i wouldnt go with UM2s if you want good treble presentation. I go with e4s or UE pro. Guessing the e4s.

cool i'll look more into that...

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

the owner was jeff jerrey or jeremy it started with a j... so ya there's no need for burn in for the ebs.

Just becuase you can sorta remember that the owner's name starts with a J makes you the expert on whether they have burn in or not?!?

I was there at the tour. Jerry was speaking specifically about the balanced armature drivers found in many IEMs. The EB has a balanced armature driver for highs, but uses a dynamic driver for the lows. It's the dynamic driver that seems to experience burn in. I experienced a big change between the first time I heard them and when I heard them again after they'd gotten a lot more usage. When I heard them the second time I really liked them quite a bit. They certainly couldn't be my only headphone/earphone but they were a lot of fun. The bass tightened up quite a bit and the mids and treble were much clearer and were no longer overshadowed by the bass. Even if you don't believe in a physical change, however, there is always an adjustment period when getting used to a different sonic presentation. Giving them a week is very good advice. It took me at least that long to get used to the presentation of the UE-10 for example.

If you actually want as much bass as the EB pumps out, it's doubtful that you're going to like any of the other IEM's out there...

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Just becuase you can sorta remember that the owner's name starts with a J makes you the expert on whether they have burn in or not?!?

I was there at the tour. Jerry was speaking specifically about the balanced armature drivers found in many IEMs. The EB has a balanced armature driver for highs, but uses a dynamic driver for the lows. It's the dynamic driver that seems to experience burn in. I experienced a big change between the first time I heard them and when I heard them again after they'd gotten a lot more usage. When I heard them the second time I really liked them quite a bit. They certainly couldn't be my only headphone/earphone but they were a lot of fun. The bass tightened up quite a bit and the mids and treble were much clearer and were no longer overshadowed by the bass. Even if you don't believe in a physical change, however, there is always an adjustment period when getting used to a different sonic presentation. Giving them a week is very good advice. It took me at least that long to get used to the presentation of the UE-10 for example.

If you actually want as much bass as the EB pumps out, it's doubtful that you're going to like any of the other IEM's out there...

how does burning in the the lows make highs sound better. wouldnt the lows be more over powering not that its properly burned in?

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The lows tighten up and become less muddy and seem to reduce in overall volume slightly. This allows the mids and treble to come through more clearly.

thats what im expereincing now. it being all muddy and doesnt sound too good.

i'll keep them for a week and make my decision then.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 15
If that's all you're going to give them, leave them running the whole time. When you're not listening to them, use specifically bass heavy stuff at slightly louder than normal listening levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back