super.fi 5 EB isolation?
Mar 22, 2008 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ezzieyguywuf

100+ Head-Fier
Looking at the specs on their website, the EBs get -16db isolation while the Pros get -26. I will be using these mostly in the machine shop where I work, where I estimate that the noise level gets up to about 90 db. I used this websites comparisons to come to that conclusion. I usually use earplugs at work and I am looking for an iem that will accomplish the same task of protecting me ears while providing me with musical entertainment. I don't want to have to crank up the music very loud to 'drown' out the noise. So, for those who have used both 'phones, how do you compare the isolation? Also, I am looking for good bass but not something that overpowers the mids and highs, so if anyone has any suggestions please make some.

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Also, are the Ebs really that uncomfortable, as i have heard from multiple users?

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 10
A machine shop, huh?

90 db is loud. I mean I really think you should go for the Pro's to save your hearing, especially if you are going to use them many hours a day. Trust me, the Pro's can do bass if you tell them to, the bass is just not as appearant as with the EBs.

I actually find the EBs more comfortable, but YMMV.
biggrin.gif

I also think you should consider other companies than UE as well. Atrio m5 or q-jays?

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 10
i'd say the UE SF5 PRO will be better for you =]

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 10
hm. thanks for the feedback guys.

@matteman: i have looked at the q-jays, not the atrios. once I started getting into this price range though (applies also to the PROs) i tell myself "its not that much more for livewires or sleek sa6s, only $50" so it makes the decision harder. With the EBs, those are $100 cheaper than the customs, so it would be an easier decision.

Curse you headfi!

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 10
pros for sure. eb's don't provide too much isolation. 90db is very loud, even the pros might not be up to the task.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 10
Might want to take a look at the shure black foamies or olives as they are called. IEMs don't really provide isolation, tips do. Maybe some foam tips would be better so look into that.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, either comply tips or olive foamies with the Pro's is the way to go. The olive foams isolate very good, can't comment on the comply tips.

Also, I don't know if anyone else tried it, but you can use full-sized hearing protection over the SF5Pro's. I have a pair of earmuffs that are extra deep that I made two holes in the foam inside for the Pro's to sit in when I needed extra isolation. You could stand right next to a train passing by if you wanted to, and still only feel the vibration of the train.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back