Super.Fi 4vi iPhone Cable Mod
Feb 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

icedtrip

New Head-Fier
I had a 1-2 year old set of Super.Fi 4vi's with a busted cable that had 1 too many repairs. I used the final break as an excuse to buy some TF10s, but figured it was time to put the still good SF4 phones to use as a backup with a little mod. About 5-10 minutes of soldering and they were done. Thought I would share. See pics below.

Next up will hopefully be a DIYMod on a 20GB iPod 4G, but since my soldering skills are less than par, I'll need some good practice before tackling that one.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 10
Nice mod and great job!
Though I'd like to point out that using solder iron over 85*C to solder BA driver will cause damage to diaphragm and coil inside transducer. Drivers sould be placed in heatsink during soldering. Thus please read KA/Sonion's materials before dealing with BA drivers.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice mod and great job!
Though I'd like to point out that using solder iron over 85*C to solder BA driver will cause damage to diaphragm and coil inside transducer. Drivers sould be placed in heatsink during soldering. Thus please read KA/Sonion's materials before dealing with BA drivers.

Thanks for the advice. I was curious if the heat from the soldering iron would damage the phones, but saw several other mods on this forum and a video on youtube doing similar mods with other phones.

It appears I lucked out this time around as the sound of the SF4s are the same as before, simply with much less microphonics as the stock SF4 cables
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi,
I was interesting in picking up a cheap pair of 4vi on ebay and modding them to some Sony MDR-EX38ip, giving me a poor mans (hopefully good quality) iPhone compatible earbuds with remote! and Lshaped jack.
Your pictures indicate that it seems possible, quick question though; does the casing come apart by unscrewing?
Again, thanks for the pics.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 10
Sorry, never saw the responses on this thread after the first month, so this is probably a little too late for anyone but jsteadman.

The SF4s simply unscrew at the earpiece portion of the phone. No glue or single piece construction, just 2 pieces that screw together.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Sorry, never saw the responses on this thread after the first month, so this is probably a little too late for anyone but jsteadman.

The SF4s simply unscrew at the earpiece portion of the phone. No glue or single piece construction, just 2 pieces that screw together.

Hi icedtrip, as my experience ... SF4 glued with epoxy-kind screw bond.
If it is true, I'm really wondering!
(and I'm trying open my SF4s ... but it not moves .. )

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 10

I open housing (it was difficult to without damage).
It was need to making break epoxy bonds with rubber hammer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back