Super.fi 3 vs d-JAYS
Aug 13, 2007 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Bigburger

100+ Head-Fier
I am tossing up still between sf.3 and d-JAYS. It seems that sf3 has lately become a whole lot more popular on head-fi, so which is the better choice? I will be using mainly from the headphone out of an iPod nano (1st gen). Feel free to state pros and cons of either model, even if you only have experiecne with one or from whatever you have heard. I really hope this helps me make a decision!

Cheers

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 23
More votes...please!! and comments.

I'm concerned about super.fi's being really fat and not being able to jam them ito my ear. Has anyone got a picture of the super.fi3 in their ear or next to their head or something for size comparison? They look really thick in most photos, but tthere is some pics where they look tiny??

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 23
unless you have small ears, they won't be a problem. they're not as big as they look in the picture either.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 23
I grew to like the d-Jays. At first they sounded really muddy and completely lacked any highs. But after about 100 hours (7 nights of 8-hour burn-in and about 2 full days) they sound great. The bass is strong and pronounced, but not overwhelming. Good detail. Highs are there now, and they have resounding detail.
I wanted to return them at first, but now I want to keep them. Every time I put them in, I don't want to take them out. Nice and very fun pair of ears.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 23
I will be using them straight from headphone out of my nano, so will hiss be a problem with either of these models? I think the d-JAYS are 40ohm. Not too sure about the sf3. But iBuds are 32ohm and they don't hiss, so would I be able to safely assume that d-JAYS won't hiss either?

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 23
In that case, go with the d-Jays, the UE's are at something like 13 ohms. I found that the hissing straight out of the headphone jack is unbearable, and I never use it without my tomahawk.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 23
I never understood the hissing problem. Yes, if no music is playing you will hiss from the SF3's, but when you have music playing it's not there. And you don't hear hiss from the iBuds because they don't block out any dB's. If you are in a quiet enough environment, you'll hear the hiss from them. Btw, my SF3's don't really hiss loud at all coming out of my iPod Vid.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 23
d-jays are better IMO, when I auditioned it for a couple of minutes, i clearly thought it was better than sf3's... it's also easier to put on and looks better
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 23
Maybe on today's high gain-mixed rock music the hissing isn't a problem, but when you're listening to a quiet Beethoven piano sonata, hissing is terribly irritating.

Why not pay for a headphone that doesn't have hissing at all?

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No hiss at all? Like what? I'm looking for IEM. And don't most of them have fairly low impedance for efficiency?

I think he was referring to the d-jays as the ones that don't hiss. I'm amazed that the super.fi 3 has this problem - it's pretty unacceptable for a $100 MSRP headphone that most people will use without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back