Super.fi 3 Studio vs. Super.fi 5 pro
Oct 16, 2006 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Walie

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I was wondering if the sound of the super.fi 5 pro is worth the $100 increase in price over the super.fi 3 studio's. What are the differences in sound between the two earphones anyway?

Also, I was thinking of getting an amp such as a go-vibe 5 or a little dot micro to go along with whatever one i get. Would this produce a noticable upgrade in sound?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 31
Yes it's worth it: You'll get more detail across all frequencies, a bigger bottom end and much more extension in the highs. While the 3 Studio is my favorite $100 IEM, I'd still take the 5 Pro over the 3 Studio in a heartbeat.

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 31
hmm, ok, well lets say that my budget is very stretched at this moment, would the increase in performance REALLY make up for the increased cost? would i be able to get by with just the sf.3?

i'm looking at getting the white sf.3 at earphone solutions right now for 69USD, compared to the sf.5 pros which are 189USD, which is a HUGE difference in price for me

Oct 16, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 31
It IS a big difference, and chances are you wont hear the sound difference if you are new to the world of highend earphones. I bought e3c a while ago and I couldnt hear the difference between $20 buds versus the e3c.

Oct 16, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 31
There's a difference in sound, but it doesn't reflect the pretty massive difference in price.

As a personal anecdote, I recently acquired a pair of Altec Lansing iM716 IEM's. All-in-all, they cost about a third of the price of the Etymotic ER4P IEM's that I've had for a while now (at least compared to when I had purchased the latter). Although the ER4's are more refined and detailed by a decent margin, I don't feel that the price difference is justified in any other respect.

Naturally, the performance increase experienced by price increase is on a root curve. It's also worth noting that the Super.fi 3 Studio has garnered less criticism at its pricepoint when compared to the criticism of the Super.fi 5 Pro in its respective price bracket; however this works in reciprocation as the Super.fi 5 Pro has also earned more praise and acclaim. Therefore, you might very well find yourself satisfied by the Super.fi 3 Studio as you'll still have the Ultimate Ears sound signature, albeit less refined and detailed when compared to its higher brother. If you're pressed on cash, it's definitely a viable option.

However, this is antithetical to the unwritten doctrines of Head-Fi. These axioms state that Thou shalt purchase the best that thou is capable of purchasing. So in the end, the Super.fi 5 Pro is probably a good settler.

How's that for an ambivalent response?
etysmile.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 31
hmm, well if i get the super.fi3's then i'll probably use the money i saved in getting a go-vibe 5 or LDM+, which i would also be able to use with my 81dj's. how is that logic, would the super.fi3's also benefit from amping? or should i just go straight to the super.fi5's ampless?

thanks for the help so far, especially to the ones who have replied with their help

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 31
I own a super.fi5 pro, and it's worth every cent of the difference. And i also own a go vibe v5 and a LDM+. I suggest you use the sf5 with the go vibe. It increases the soundstage and details without making the sf5 sharper which LDM+ tend to do. The LDM+ is also very hissy. The sf5 is basically a detailed IEM with tight and controlled bass. sf3 have the basic UE sound signature, but really, if you want to spend your money wisely, go straight to sf5 or u'll be spending more money when u upgrade.

btw, im new to this forum, so hi guys!

Oct 17, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 31
Actually, if you intend to upgrade in a relatively small period of time, the Super.fi 3 Studio would be a better option. If this was to be the only IEM purchase you will make for a while (gasp), then the Super.fi 5 Pro is worth more consideration.

Oct 17, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 31
well, today the right side of my k81's suddenly died, so i need to get a recable for them. therefore i went with the sf.3 today from earphone solutions as money is tight at the moment.

as for upgrading soon, i'll probably upgrade to the sf.5 pros early next year when i get my tax return and sell the sf.3's at that time

now i just need to find am amp that will go with these babies. as i noted above, i'm leaning either towards the LDM+ or go-vibe 5. any ideas?

Oct 17, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie
well, today the right side of my k81's suddenly died, so i need to get a recable for them. therefore i went with the sf.3 today from earphone solutions as money is tight at the moment.

as for upgrading soon, i'll probably upgrade to the sf.5 pros early next year when i get my tax return and sell the sf.3's at that time

now i just need to find am amp that will go with these babies. as i noted above, i'm leaning either towards the LDM+ or go-vibe 5. any ideas?

Or skip the middle-ground and pick up a Triple.fi with your tax return!

Oct 18, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 31
I guess the real question you need to ask is: How are you going to use them? I use my SF.3s every day. I'm on the move all day, often in industrial environments. $200 is way to much to risk banging around when I'm in a hard hat. My SF.3s have held up really well under what amounts to abuse. I've had them drop off my shoulder onto pavement, had them ripped out of my ears when they get caught on a pipe, etc. I guess my point is, if you are using them on the move, don't expect them to last forever, get the cheapest can that gives you the sound you crave.

I know you already bought them, but I hope this response helps you put the purchase in perspective.

Oct 18, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Yes it's worth it: You'll get more detail across all frequencies, a bigger bottom end and much more extension in the highs. While the 3 Studio is my favorite $100 IEM, I'd still take the 5 Pro over the 3 Studio in a heartbeat.

QFT. Plus the 5 pro does not need an amp to sound good or play loud...

Ply

Oct 18, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gremlin
I guess the real question you need to ask is: How are you going to use them? I use my SF.3s every day. I'm on the move all day, often in industrial environments. $200 is way to much to risk banging around when I'm in a hard hat. My SF.3s have held up really well under what amounts to abuse. I've had them drop off my shoulder onto pavement, had them ripped out of my ears when they get caught on a pipe, etc. I guess my point is, if you are using them on the move, don't expect them to last forever, get the cheapest can that gives you the sound you crave.

I know you already bought them, but I hope this response helps you put the purchase in perspective.

Lol. I'm a carpenter and use iems at work too. But have never had em yanked, dropped, pulled or spanked.
tongue.gif

I tuck everything under my shirt so it is very hard to get caught on something...

Ply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back