Super.fi 3 or Westone UM1
Jan 20, 2007 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tmcat

New Head-Fier
I am new to IEM so I picked up the super.fi 3 to try and I don't think I'm sold on the comfort. In particular I really don't like the piece of stiff wire about 2 inches long found after the earbud.

Would the UM1 be more comfortable and do they have this same stiff wire after the earbud?

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 16
The Westones are more comfortable but you might want to note that the Y chain is fixed in the Westones so you can't adjust them. They ride up pretty high up the neck too........ This applies only if you wear the Westones in front.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 16
The Y Chain has a earphone adjuster...uh..thing, just like most IEM's...

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 16
I'd call it even muddier. The Superfi has better clarity and tighter bass - the UM1 is a bit boomy to my ear - but in sacrifise of bass quantity compared to the Westone.

I'm telling you this so that you know, that if you switch to the UM1, there's a whole new sound signature waiting for you.

And about the wire: The Westone IEMs have a very soft and flexible wire, and no stiff part after the earpiece, so they're more comfortable in this regard.

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 16
I have both. And use them at work. Alternating back and forth on different days. The UM1 is the more comfortable. The Superfi 3 has more extension. In both directions. With a descent mid-band. The UM1 is more homogenous. That is sound cut from the same cloth. They both needed break-in. Beginning music enthusiasts would prefer the Superfi 3. It offers more sonic fireworks.
Seasoned ears might lean toward the UM1. It offers a single voice. Not one particular audible frequency calls attention to itself. Smoother overall.

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks for your input.

I should have mention earlier that I listen to hip-hop and rock but mainly hip-hop and did have to turn on the bass boost to get the super.fi to sound the way I like.

I think I may pick up a pair of UM1 to try.

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd call it even muddier. The Superfi has better clarity and tighter bass - the UM1 is a bit boomy to my ear - but in sacrifise of bass quantity compared to the Westone.

No way are the UM1's muddier than the Super.Fi 3's. hehe.

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No way are the UM1's muddier than the Super.Fi 3's. hehe.

you wish
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 16
I have used both. Hands down to UM1's. Smaller physical size = easier to insert, better fit, dont stick out. They set very flush with your ears.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you wish
icon10.gif

No wishing about it. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back