Super.fi 3 cable dilemma...
Apr 11, 2009 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mookowz13

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

So the cord on my super.fi 3's is starting to get unbearably stiff (I have the old L-Jack cord) and I'm considering changing the cable however I've run into some issues/options and I'm looking for advice.

-I can get a new UE cable from Soundearphones.com for ~$30 CAD, but it has an iphone style straight jack. My Cowon X5 has the jack on side and is fairly prone to damage. In order to use this cord regularly I'd have to re-terminate it....I have no clue how to re-terminate cables.
-I can order the Null Audio Enyo cable or the Awwan cable off e-bay. The price is about ~$70 CAD for the Awwan and even more for the null audio. They have an L-jack but cost just as much or more than the super.fi 3's themselves
-I can upgrade outright. I'd likely be willing to spend a little more if I do upgrade although staying around $70 CAD would be ideal since I'm unemployed.

I really like the sound of my super.fi 3's but the right driver is also a little looser when connecting to the cable compared to the left...that being said is the Awwan cable really worth the extra cash? especially on just the super.fi 3's? If I do upgrade what suggestions would you guys have? Like I said I'd probably be looking for a sound close to my super.fi 3's at the moment because I like the detailed mids from them and I find the amount of bass they have to be acceptable.

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 5
if your unit is still under warranty UE sometimes just sends you a new cable if you are good at convincing
smily_headphones1.gif

otherwise, I'd just get new IEMs.

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Unfortunately I've had them long enough that they're way out of warranty which is why I have my dilemma. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Apr 12, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 5
bumpus room.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 5
The new cable is definitely a lot nicer, but I guess the straight plug would be a problem for you. Luckily, I contacted UE before the warranty on my SF3 ran out and got the cable free.

I've heard the UE custom cables are much better and will fit the super.fi if you trim the connectors. They've also got the angle plug you want. Well within your budget ($36US), and I've heard they sound better than the SF cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back