"Super Chiarra" new bridge rectifier mod.
Jan 5, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 8
Just as a bit of background, this is an alternate recifier I sent Luke to try out, based on 4 MSR1560 diodes. Here's a link to a pic of it
in place (large image)
in place (small image)

As you can see, it's nothing fancy to look at. I put spade connectors on it in case it was to be used in other circumstances, then I thought it might be better to solder some flyleads straight on to the underside, which is what Luke has used to attach it - the existing bridge rectifier has simply been removed. Must admit I thought Luke might trim the leads a bit - tut tut
wink.gif

As usual, I can claim no credit for this mod. It was suggested to another forum member (John and Jake over on Pink Fish Media) by Andy Weekes, who thought the diode's specs looked good. John uses his Chiarra as a preamp, and posted his positive results on PFM. I enquired about it, John kindly sent me a spare to try, I liked it, managed to get hold of some of the diodes, so thought Luke would also like to give it a go.

Richard

Jan 5, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 8
Will trim them down this week... just wanted to get it all working. Also goingg to get some better solder today...

It sounds a lot better. More control over the treble and the vocals a fraction forward helping the stage. The bass has taken me longer to realy work out.... I think it is a fraction faster????

cheers

luke

Jan 5, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 8
Very nice Luke
biggrin.gif
What made you go down the road of replacing the bridge rectifier??? "Faster bass" ?? was it lagging behind the rest of the instruments before the change of rectifier?

Mike.

Jan 5, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Mike

Hi.. Hope you had a goor Christmas and Newyear..

Why the changein rectifier???? well I trust Richards judgement. And it looks better once trimmed and soldered with audiograde solder...!!

bass is very important to me.. its a great and easy way of checking a set up... The faster and more controlled the bass the better!!

Anyway I am sure you will try it yourself!!

luke

Jan 5, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by london luke
Mike

Hi.. Hope you had a goor Christmas and Newyear..

Why the changein rectifier???? well I trust Richards judgement. And it looks better once trimmed and soldered with audiograde solder...!!

bass is very important to me.. its a great and easy way of checking a set up... The faster and more controlled the bass the better!!

Anyway I am sure you will try it yourself!!

luke

Happy New Year to you too Luke
biggrin.gif

I'd love to hear your Chiarra,with trimmed and soldered rectifier et al. If the bass on the standard Chiarra got any faster it wouldbe uncomfortable for me to keep up with it!! The mind (ears) boggle!

And, no, I won't be trying it as I don't see the point in that Mod?

Mike.

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 8
I think this highlights the difficulty of trying to describe sound in words. I saw a quote (I think it might have been the sig of a headfi-er) from Elvis Costello - "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture".

The change in rectifier certainly changes the sound, and I would say that better controlled bass is a fair description, along with perhaps more prominent vocals, sweeter sounding treble and a general widening of the soundstage.

There I go, dancing about architecture......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back