Super.5.Pro's just died...
Aug 15, 2006 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Negative Design

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Recently I made a thread about a malfunctioning wire...now today my right monitor just ripped open and taking the red wire with it killing the right monitor.
This isn't the 1st time the monitors were opened either,it happened twice before for each ear.I just krazy glued it back and that solved the problem for several months...now it came back to bite me in the @ss.With all the problems I'm getting with Ultimate Ears its REALLY hard to justify dropping another 200$ for it...I LOVE these darn IEMs it hurts to lose em...I don't feel normal on buses/tains or at home without em...no way I'm using stock phones either.
I don't know if if the Clear model thats this faulty or are they all...don't know if I should risk buying another unit....

Also,can I pay an amount to buy just a right monitor? Is this situation under RMA? I've been through 3 cables and now this...I hope this isn't common I REALLY want to stay with Ultimate Ears...I really like this company and their products.But my last option may be to get another IEM from another of (hopefully) equal caliber,what makes it worse is that at this time I'm unemployed and its harder for me to just buy another unit.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,guy.

Thanks in advance guys,
Vlad.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 20
Well, it is funny, I have 3 sets: two white and 1 black.
The black also had the problem that the casing splitt open when fitting foamies. The whites never had the problem.

It was not the glue that was bad it was simply the case/plastic that tore open. I glued it and that solved it.

Hmmm wonder what UE is experiencing in returns??

Can't you solder the wires? send it to me and I'll give it a try if you wish.

Rgds Hans.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw
Well, it is funny, I have 3 sets: two white and 1 black.
The black also had the problem that the casing splitt open when fitting foamies. The whites never had the problem.

It was not the glue that was bad it was simply the case/plastic that tore open. I glued it and that solved it.

Hmmm wonder what UE is experiencing in returns??

Can't you solder the wires? send it to me and I'll give it a try if you wish.

Rgds Hans.

Hey hans,

Thanks for the reply.From my experience with these kind of wires once they are cut they can never work,maybe you can have more luck with it then me.

Let me know how much you will charge and etc,send me a Pm
smily_headphones1.gif

Would you happen to have a spare cable for sale as well? tell me in the Pm.

In my last thread I spoke of my 3rd wire dying,so even if the IEM is fixed I will still need another cable,UE is giving me alot of headaches now
frown.gif

Thanks again,
Vlad

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 20
I still haven't received any word from UE I emailed em on Friday,I'm surprised I'm not getting any replies here...maybe because its summer I dont know....but H.F is usually blooming with posts
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 20
Just got a reply from UE on my 3rd email but still no reply on my 1st.They said they don't replace parts of their Super.Fi products...so this means I will have to buy a completely new unit...
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 20
why not give them a call and talk to a customer service agent? UE is great about service, better than most other companies I've dealt with.

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
why not give them a call and talk to a customer service agent? UE is great about service, better than most other companies I've dealt with.

I never knew they had a call center,I will give that a try.So far their email support seems pretty good,I'm still waiting on how they suggest I solve this problem....well speak of the devil I just got an email
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the advice.
-V

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 20
I just got another email from U.E and they want me to ship the item back and they will send me a new unit in one week!
eggosmile.gif
and she even said I don't need a receipt! wow,amazing.This is great news since I don't have the receipt and I'm extremely broke at the momment.

The email responses are surprisingly fast and at 8PM too,I will keep you guys updated,hopefully everything goes smoothly.

-Vladimir

Aug 17, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 20
heh, need I say told-you-so?
biggrin.gif

UE is great

Aug 17, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
heh, need I say told-you-so?
biggrin.gif

UE is great

I agree with you on that one,UE has helped me in the past with the cables but I never thoughts they'd repair the whole unit as well,I'm truly impressed...and to think I doubted UE there for a second...I love you UE**hugs Superfi box**
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negative Design
I just got another email from U.E and they want me to ship the item back and they will send me a new unit in one week!
eggosmile.gif
and she even said I don't need a receipt! wow,amazing.This is great news since I don't have the receipt and I'm extremely broke at the momment.

The email responses are surprisingly fast and at 8PM too,I will keep you guys updated,hopefully everything goes smoothly.

-Vladimir

Wow, that's really great service! It makes a lot less apprehensive about buying super-fi's even though they break more often than ety's. Hmm now I wonder if I'd rather um2's or super-fi's.

Aug 17, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
Wow, that's really great service! It makes a lot less apprehensive about buying super-fi's even though they break more often than ety's. Hmm now I wonder if I'd rather um2's or super-fi's.

UM2s look quite attractive but I believe the superfis offer more for the dollar and from what I read they sound better than the UM2s as well.

Superfis were my 1st and only IEMs they broke my virgin ears and showed me what music should REALLY sound like,I still plan on buying a UE10 pro or the UE XXX in the future...distant future though lol.

Aug 17, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 20
Unfortunately the super 5 pro have a tendency to brake up because of their memory wire. I "opened" mine too yesterday, when the wire messed up with something else. They are rather like a fish-hooks in this respect. I was lucky, the wires were still there and I simply wrapped the thing together again with tape. (I did not dare to glue them). They sound as nice as ever.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dodap
Unfortunately the super 5 pro have a tendency to brake up because of their memory wire. I "opened" mine too yesterday, when the wire messed up with something else. They are rather like a fish-hooks in this respect. I was lucky, the wires were still there and I simply wrapped the thing together again with tape. (I did not dare to glue them). They sound as nice as ever.

Yea those memory wires can be a REAL pain but I've managed to overcome that problem after my original cable died out.I never touch the memory part of the wire and this seems to help alot in keeping it working.

I also dislike the stiffness of the clear wire when brand new you have you break em in so they become softer over time.

Aug 18, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dodap

If I were to get a pair and I liked them I might just electrical tape the wires a bit right from the start. (an ounce of prevention...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back