:sunrise: Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 18, 2015, Doubletree San Francisco Airport
Jul 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #301 of 441
I was originally going to do this in PM.  But then I thought, why not just do this in the thread?  People should know this.  So here we go.

@DecentLevi, it wasn't that long ago that you went to your first meet.  And I'm sure, like many of us, there was some trepidation as you didn't know what to expect.  That's perfectly natural of course.  We've all been through that, and I'm glad you overcame whatever misgivings you might have had, and went to that meet.  However, one meet is just the beginning, just a taste of a larger Head-Fi experience.

That's why, earlier this year and before your first CanJam, you were still filled with questions and concerns about the best way to enjoy the show.  It's possible that I may have been curt with you at times, as I was very overworked and stressed out.  If I was, I'm sorry.  But again, you overcame any and all concerns you had, and boldly made an effort to travel hundreds of miles to embrace all that CanJam had to offer.  I'm glad you did.

In this thread, I've seen you make it point to share all that you've learned... answering questions from fellow Head-Fiers thinking about attending their first meet... sharing with them your experience so they know what to expect and how fun a meet can be... and generally being an overall good guy.  To that I just have to say, I'm proud of you.  I don't mean to sound patronizing, I'm just genuinely appreciative of you and what you have done to help others attend their first meet.

In short, I just wanted to say, you rock!  
smile.gif
  Thanks!

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #305 of 441
  new revised WA5-LE for the show.

Hey Mike,

That looks gorgeous! Thank you for providing the pic. I'm extremely interested in updating my current WA5-LE with the latest changes. Can you respond to my questions from my previous post here? It would be very much  appreciated.

Thanks

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #306 of 441
@warrenpchi He definitely helped convince me in attending my first meet!

Yay!  
smile.gif

I've got a fun-filled weekend ahead of me, I'm finishing up custom member badges for the meet:

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #308 of 441
That's nice the we have custom badges. And thanks much for the positive words, Warren. Yes I've done just a bit to encourage a few NU head-fi-'ers (not 'fires' 
etysmile.gif
 ) to attend, probably because I'm generally interested to encourage people to realize what can be had with sound fidelity, causing my little ripple in the ocean to keep the audiophile community active with new members. I've said this on other forums and I'll say it again: I believe online audiophile communities as well as meets are largely what helps keep the personal hi-fi audio industry competitive and cheap - without us uber OCD techies on a nonstop quest for sonic perfection there would be only cheap earbuds and beats/bose to choose from and no reason for the hi-end manufactures to continue innovation.

My first meet was actually at the Santa Clara mini meet for 6 hours and I made some good friends there too. One thing I take home from these events other than just product impressions is that, IMO anyway, it seems head-fi'ers seem to share common interests and ways of thinking beyond just head-gear (like science / technology related interests, IMO again). And a bit more on my personal philosophy of posting on forums like these is that you should be able to speak your mind regarding your opinion of a product - as long as what you're saying is not directly slanderous/offensive etc., feel free to say how horrible or excellent a product is, and don't worry if you're directly disagreeing with somebody else because that's what these forums are all about, and frankly, a debate keeps the conversation going / interesting! Variety of opinions gives you the 'big picture' before you make a purchase. My point is that it seems that on at least 1/2 dozens times I've noticed people who seem too restrained from voicing their real opinion on a product. I for one, have really pushed the envelope on promoting a few of my favorite products here such as the Continental Dual Mono and Geek Out v2 because these are products I believe in - so let your voice be heard even if it goes against other's findings (as long as it's done in a constructive way). And the way you perceive a sound is all that's important, even if it doesn't have scientific backing.

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #309 of 441
Also I would like to ask 2 things about the member rigs please:

How early are we advised to come and set up our rigs - would about 1/2 hr. be good enough? Also would we need to bring our own power strips / extension chords? Thanks much.

And PS- I wrote the above posting in a bit of a rush so if something didn't come across right or doesn't make sense then let me know so I can edit it.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #310 of 441

Also I would like to ask 2 things about the member rigs please:

How early are we advised to come and set up our rigs - would about 1/2 hr. be good enough? Also would we need to bring our own power strips / extension chords? Thanks much.

And PS- I wrote the above posting in a bit of a rush so if something didn't come across right or doesn't make sense then let me know so I can edit it.

Yeah, a 1/2 hour before should be fine. Setup time will be from 8am-9am, we would ask that everyone bringing rigs be set up by 9am. And yes, please bring your own power strips and extension cords. Look forward to seeing you next week!

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #311 of 441
if there is interest, I can bring my (semi)new fiio x3-2 portable DAP.  what got me about it was spdif-out at 24/192, bit-perfect, good internal dac and pre-out, plus it had some kind of inline-remote.

well, I just built a circuit that interfaces with that inline remote port :wink:  the inline remote does not do much (skip songs back/forward plus pause/play) but I was able to create a small board that listens for IR (from a sony dvd remote, for example) and sends the pulses to the portable DAP.  you can then control the dap from somewhere else in the room.

what I will bring, for sure, is a relay based preamp, an spdif switch, an RF based OLED remote control (for all of that) and an AK4399 ebay dac, boxed up.  source will be linux and mpd on a fanless netbook with an ssd.  the overall theme is, as usual with me, 'remote control' :wink:  but I have new toys to show this year, that's for sure.  all DIY.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #313 of 441
  This is very good news indeed. Just a couple of questions... 1) Will the updated WA5-LE version be made available at the same price as the current model? 2) Can existing WA5-LEs be updated to the latest version? If yes, would this be a free upgrade for original WA5-LE owners?

A lot have changed on the new version so no free upgrades.  Email us at info@wooaudio.com if you're interested in the new models.  Due to current demands, lead time is estimated at 3-4 weeks.

- new U.S. prices: WA5 $5899 - WA5-LE base model $3699

- same chassis design as the outgoing model

- same base tubes configurations (6SN7, 300b, 274b) - see chart for additional compatible tubes (link)

WA5-LE (headphones only):

1. Single-ended (SET), Class A, Transformer-coupled

1. High power 1/4” and 4-Pin XLR headphone outputs (up to 8watts)
  1. User selectable High Power or Low Power output to match a wide variety of headphone power demands

1. User selectable High or Low impedance to match headphone impedance
  1. User selectable High or Low output LEVEL to match headphone sensitivity
  1. XLR input x 1
  1. **** Premium internal parts available (V-Cap, Jensen, Black Gate caps)  $1210 extra

WA5 (headphones and speakers):
Same as WA5-LE - PLUS the following features and benefits:

1. Speaker outputs x 2 (8 watts per channel @8 Ohms)

1. Premium internal parts included (V-Cap, Jensen, Black Gate caps)  

1. WBT Nextgen 0210-Cu RCA inputs x 2

1. WBT Nextgen 0710-Cu Speaker terminals x 1 set

Users who are viewing this thread

Back