:sunrise: CanJam SoCal 2016 (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #556 of 1,119
LOLOLOL!  Funny because true!  
biggrin.gif

First thing to do when you are at Canjam is not to pounce on those iems/cans but taking picture with Jude!
beyersmile.png

@jude

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #557 of 1,119
It has been brought to my attention that the member showcase may be cancelled due to lack of participation.  A few prominent members have dropped out and there is still plenty of room if you plan to be there both days and would like to bring your gear. This is actually the first time I have remembered there not being enough members to do a member showcase.  So if you are interested please PM Third_Eye so he can get you setup ASAP so we can make sure the member area stays.

Thank you.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #558 of 1,119
  It has been brought to my attention that the member showcase may be cancelled due to lack of participation.  A few prominent members have dropped out and there is still plenty of room if you plan to be there both days and would like to bring your gear. This is actually the first time I have remembered there not being enough members to do a member showcase.  So if you are interested please PM Third_Eye so he can get you setup ASAP so we can make sure the member area stays.

Thank you.

Isnt this what some people were bagging on CanJam about? How its become more of a money thing and not a get together for people in the hobby to show off their stuff? Or am I wrong about what this post is about?

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #559 of 1,119

Isnt this what some people were bagging on CanJam about? How its become more of a money thing and not a get together for people in the hobby to show off their stuff? Or am I wrong about what this post is about?

I am not 100% sure what you are talking about.  I know that some members were critical to the fact that there was no member element but instead more of a commercial theme to the event.  I am hoping to rally some more members together which is the reason why I posted because I think member showcase is important.  I understand the commercial aspect of things but I am sure every vendor understands as well that head-fi is a member driven community and it's important to have a member area for every CJ regardless of how big or small.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #560 of 1,119

I am not 100% sure what you are talking about.  I know that some members were critical to the fact that there was no member element but instead more of a commercial theme to the event.  I am hoping to rally some more members together which is the reason why I posted because I think member showcase is important.  I understand the commercial aspect of things but I am sure every vendor understands as well that head-fi is a member driven community and it's important to have a member area for every CJ regardless of how big or small.

This is what I was talking about. How CanJam has become so commercialized and about money. You guys try and get a member area going and cant seem to get enough, so I can see why CanJam has become what its all about.

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #561 of 1,119
Um... Noob question.

What does the acronym SHaG stand for? At CanJam I mean.

I know what the actual word means in several English speaking countries! :joy:

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #562 of 1,119

This is what I was talking about. How CanJam has become so commercialized and about money. You guys try and get a member area going and cant seem to get enough, so I can see why CanJam has become what its all about.

I think you are missing the point regarding the member area.  Regardless of how big or small it is there should always be one as head-fi is a member driven community. Obviously events have to get paid for (which sponsors do a great job helping out to make these happen) to be able to continue running them but that doesn't mean sacrificing the core of head-fi to accomplish this.  You can argue it takes away from vendors but there is plenty of things to do at CanJam and anyone can attest that vendors are highlighted at these events.  Having a member area hurts no one but not having one alienates people who want to bring gear. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #564 of 1,119

I think you are missing the point regarding the member area.  Regardless of how big or small it is there should always be one as head-fi is a member driven community.  Obviously events have to get paid for (which sponsors do a great job helping out to make these happen) to be able to continue running them but that doesn't mean sacrificing the core of head-fi to accomplish this.  You can argue it takes away from vendors but there is plenty of things to do at CanJam and anyone can attest that vendors are highlighted at this event.  Having a member area hurts no one but not having one alienates people who want to bring gear. 

I dont think I am missing the point, its why people say they have quit going. They feel the show is not staying true to what it started out as. I am all for both, I was just pointing out what I thought people were saying is negative about the shows.

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #565 of 1,119
Seems to me that this is proof that the fears of this being made into an industry event instead of a community event are conflated.  I still hold that the community is still there even without a Members' Showcase.  I have been to two Canjams and what keeps me coming back is the community.  I'll be going to this one, but honestly, there isn't a whole lot I'm interested in gear-wise.  It's mostly to see my friends and have a good time (and defend my Karting title from @jude! lol) 

I just don't understand why there is this fear that the community aspect is gone if there's no member area.  My experience proves that the community is still alive and kicking.

And I'll restate again for the record:  there are plenty of companies that came out of the community like Cavalli Audio, MrSpeakers, ZMF, LFF, Moon Audio, etc.  Go have a chat with Dan Clark or Alex Cavalli and tell me they're not just as into music and gear as the rest of us...

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #566 of 1,119
  Seems to me that this is proof that the fears of this being made into an industry event instead of a community event are conflated.  I still hold that the community is still there even without a Members' Showcase.  I have been to two Canjams and what keeps me coming back is the community.  I'll be going to this one, but honestly, there isn't a whole lot I'm interested in gear-wise.  It's mostly to see my friends and have a good time (and defend my Karting title from @jude! lol) 

I just don't understand why there is this fear that the community aspect is gone if there's no member area.  My experience proves that the community is still alive and kicking.

And I'll restate again for the record:  there are plenty of companies that came out of the community like Cavalli Audio, MrSpeakers, ZMF, LFF, Moon Audio, etc.  Go have a chat with Dan Clark or Alex Cavalli and tell me they're not just as into music and gear as the rest of us...

You may not care whether or not there is a members area but there are people who obviously do.  You can't discount them and say based on your own sole experience there is a feeling of community at CanJams because for others there obviously isn't (they have voiced it).

CanJam is a trade show opened to the public where vendors pay to have booths to advertise products focused on audio.  It's obviously focused on Head-Fi because they are the organizers but we don't have a say who is at the show or what goes on at the show including activities, symposiums, or vendor showcases.  That is dictated by Head-Fi not the community.

The only thing members have at this trade show at this point is the hope we could have a member area for members to bring their own rigs.  It doesn't take away from the aspect of CanJam at all but instead at least feels like members have at least one contribution to CanJam in a more personalized way.

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #567 of 1,119

You may not care whether or not there is a members area but there are people who obviously do.  You can't discount them and say based on your own sole experience there is a feeling of community at CanJams because for others there obviously isn't (they have voiced it).

Okay so for one thing, I have no idea if anyone voicing these opinions has ever attended a Canjam since nobody on the other side has spoken about their personal experiences.  On the flip side, I'm not the only person who has spoken about my positive experiences with the community.  The last time I posted on the subject in this thread, several people spoke out in agreement.  That's not to say there hasn't been people experiencing a lack of community, I'm just saying nobody has spoken about first-hand experiences.

In addition, I wasn't discounting anything, I was offering a counter-opinion.  The lack of response from members says more than I ever could.

CanJam is a trade show opened to the public where vendors pay to have booths to advertise products focused on audio.  It's obviously focused on Head-Fi because they are the organizers but we don't have a say who is at the show or what goes on at the show including activities, symposiums, or vendor showcases.  That is dictated by Head-Fi not the community.

Another thing, this "public" you speak of that attends the show... the 1000+ people who showed up last year... you think it's just randos walking in off the street?  It's "the community".  You say "we" have no say in what goes on at the show; what say would you like?  Feel free to organize an event!  Nobody is stopping anyone from planning stuff, posting it on here, and inviting people to attend.  

And you speak of "Head-fi" as if it's separate from the community.  Who do you think organizes Canjam, some white collar workers in an office somewhere who are contracted out to put everything together?  No, it's community members Ethan, Joe and Warren (who recently left the team due to a new job taking precedence).  If they didn't know the community intimately, they wouldn't be able to put on such a successful show.  There are plenty of personal audio shows that are nowhere near as popular as Canjam and I would argue that a lot of it has to do with their connection to the community.

The only thing members have at this trade show at this point is the hope we could have a member area for members to bring their own rigs.  It doesn't take away from the aspect of CanJam at all but instead at least feels like members have at least one contribution to CanJam in a more personalized way.

You can still bring your own rig.  I brought mine to the last two shows I attended and set it up in my hotel room.  Then a bunch of folks brought their own gear and we had a mini meet up there.  There were people there I'd just met that day.

The event is what you make it.  If you want to bring your rig, go for it.  Post in this thread about it and let us know where we can see it!  I'm sure the organizers would even let you put up a sign if you asked nicely.  Don't hate on the people working so hard to make this event happen.  Be the change you want to see.

I hope to meet you in a couple weeks and we can discuss over a drink.  
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #568 of 1,119
Hey guys, here is a partial list of Show Specials that will be available at CanJam SoCal. More to come!

CompanyShow Specials
Meze Headphones20% coupon code
WyWires20% off
ModWright20% off Tryst Headphone Amp
 20% off DiDs (Daedalus Isolatio Devices used at show)
TekFXgiving away 50 sets of silicone and memory foam tips for anyone who stops by to demo the Sound MAGIC in ear monitors
JDS LabsFree Domestic Shipping if CanJam SoCal 2016 is mentioned in the order notes
1MoreTest a pair of 1MORE Headphones and receive a 15% discount code to use towards your purchase of any pair of 1More Headphones
 10% discount code for Tweeting at 1MORE or checking in through Facebook. These discount codes are for a limited time only.
Radius20% off
RHA20% off all products
Ultimate Ears20% off all iems (except UE4s)
Torque30% off all products
Beyerdynamic15% off all Manufaktur headphones at beyerdynamic.com through March 31
The Source AV10% off all Mr Speakers, Sennheiser, Questyle, A&K, Audeze, Kimber Kable, Nordost
 5% off Enigmacoutics, Focal, STAX
Cavalli10% off all premium amps via coupon code: CANJAMSOCAL2016
196420% discount for A Series Customs, and 15% discount for U Series
PendulumicStance 1+ for $179, Tach T-1 for $224
Cardas10% off all products

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #569 of 1,119

JDS LabsFree Domestic Shipping if CanJam SoCal 2016 is mentioned in the oder notes

"Fragrant, fruity front with a nutty after-smell.  I do believe I enjoy this O2 amp!  The ODAC, on the other hand reeks of lavender and myrrh.  No thank you!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back