:sunrise: CanJam SoCal 2016 (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #378 of 1,119
I mean I also understand that Head-fi is trying to make a show that they can host for headphones similar to how many different other products have large shows.  This also creates "brand recognition" or whatever you want to call it...it expands the head-fi name and as an extension the hobby and also the website.  It is also a good point that anyone from anywhere can make a meet at anytime, but I am just sad that we don't get to bring our own goods to the largest show of the year in north america.  (I think that's right) Either way its big.  

P.S. Putting together these shows is  A TON of work and though I may not agree with all the choices that head-fi has made, I do want to thank everyone for all the hard work that has gone into making this happen.  

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #380 of 1,119
Guys, we really do appreciate the feedback and I have some good news to share! We are able to secure some extra space for a Member Showcase Area at CanJam SoCal if we can generate enough interest in a Member Showcase. Please PM me if you are interested in participating and what gear you plan on showing. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #384 of 1,119
  Looking forward to seeing my friends at Puro Sound labs

Has anyone else listened to the IEM 500's or the BT5200's? 

Yes, many. There is a dedicated thread for the 500's. Love them. 

Wish I could go to CanJam, doubt I'll have money for the flight down from Nor Cal. Do have family in Huntington Beach I could stay with so that would save lodging expenses

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #386 of 1,119
Feb 18, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #388 of 1,119

As a relative newbie and planning my 1st CanJam, I am thrilled (a bit overwhelmed) by the breadth and depth of equipment to check out during the weekend in SoCal, I am very grateful that third_eye et al have organized such an awesome participant list....even if they are from industry it still means a wide-eyed enthusiast like me can hear lots of gear in single weekend. That said, all respect to the comments above about the DIY / meet community, and it is wonderful to hear there may be a place and presence for that as well.

if you will allow me a super brief rant, I work in health care where similar conversations occur often about "big bad pharma" versus academic and community based care. After watching the pendulum swing last 2 (+) decades from commercial excess influencing care decisions (egregious) to an equally unhealthy state where major medical centers won't allow any industry sponsored programs / collaboration that may expedite advances in medicine, it is clear to me a balanced middle ground is not only possible but essential. We rely on commercial interests to help develop and deploy the next advance, as federal dollars are completely inadequate. It costs enormous amounts to R&D, get FDA approval, market (even appropriately, not for off label uses as is unethical.). Industry then relies on health care professionals to utilize the products they help develop, judiciously and well, and of course industry seeks to recoup profit (but we can't let them gouge.) In my view, this relationship doesn't have to "ruin" anything if we all maintain our integrity and role clarity. It's about balance and boundaries, recognizing the value of both approaches to serve the goal, be it advances in high quality health care or the next level of audio bliss.

Ooops, ranted too long. See you in SoCal

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #389 of 1,119

As a relative newbie and planning my 1st CanJam, I am thrilled (a bit overwhelmed) by the breadth and depth of equipment to check out during the weekend in SoCal, I am very grateful that third_eye et al have organized such an awesome participant list....even if they are from industry it still means a wide-eyed enthusiast like me can hear lots of gear in single weekend. That said, all respect to the comments above about the DIY / meet community, and it is wonderful to hear there may be a place and presence for that as well.

if you will allow me a super brief rant, I work in health care where similar conversations occur often about "big bad pharma" versus academic and community based care. After watching the pendulum swing last 2 (+) decades from commercial excess influencing care decisions (egregious) to an equally unhealthy state where major medical centers won't allow any industry sponsored programs / collaboration that may expedite advances in medicine, it is clear to me a balanced middle ground is not only possible but essential. We rely on commercial interests to help develop and deploy the next advance, as federal dollars are completely inadequate. It costs enormous amounts to R&D, get FDA approval, market (even appropriately, not for off label uses as is unethical.). Industry then relies on health care professionals to utilize the products they help develop, judiciously and well, and of course industry seeks to recoup profit (but we can't let them gouge.) In my view, this relationship doesn't have to "ruin" anything if we all maintain our integrity and role clarity. It's about balance and boundaries, recognizing the value of both approaches to serve the goal, be it advances in high quality health care or the next level of audio bliss.

Ooops, ranted too long. See you in SoCal

Very well said. A very "balanced" opinion and valuable insight into developing a market segment. The "little guys" and the "money boys" can co-exist in harmony but good stewardship of deployed resources is essential for success and harmony between various interests. 
My earlier "rant" was just in defence of the "little guy" out of fear of them being steamrolled and bullied away from the table, so to speak.
As an infamous person once said; "Can't we all just get along?". Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back